One in a sextillion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2011, 12:10 PM
RE: One in a sextillion
(06-10-2011 12:07 PM)free2011 Wrote:  Dude you're nitpicking. The point is the Universe is huge. The Earth is comparatively a grain of sand in the Sahara Desert. To believe that anyone’s "God" created it intentionally for human beings based solely on a book written 2,000 years ago isn’t quite thinking it through.

I think a christian answer for that is that it shows how much god loves us.

I didn't say that.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2011, 09:20 PM
(06-10-2011 12:07 PM)free2011 Wrote:  
(06-10-2011 10:41 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(05-10-2011 04:25 PM)free2011 Wrote:  I suppose I should have said this is an argument against all religions that claim their god made the universe with them in mind. Obviously this doesn't "prove" anything but how anyone can look at the vastness of the universe and conclude that we are somehow special is delusional and arrogant.

Then it isn't an argument against Christianity because the Bible says that only the earth was man for men.

Quote:The heavens are the LORD's heavens, but the earth he has given to the children of man.
(Psalm 115:16 ESV)

Dude you're nitpicking. The point is the Universe is huge. The Earth is comparatively a grain of sand in the Sahara Desert. To believe that anyone’s "God" created it intentionally for human beings based solely on a book written 2,000 years ago isn’t quite thinking it through.

Actually, he has a point. If you were to accept that Earth, and Earth alone, was made for man then it would not matter how many planets there are or are not, this one would still be ours for us alone.

Your hostility towards religion blinds you to a sound argument.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
07-10-2011, 04:45 AM
So, this means that we are prohibited to visit other planets and colonize them? Because, that would mean that we are invading Gods private space, according to this Psalm 115:16 ESV...

Theophilus, care to comment on this? I would like to hear your opinion, because I never heard that anyone is objecting to humans in space, so maybe you should look at this and start complaining. I don't mean you personally, but Christians and Creationists in general.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
07-10-2011, 05:58 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2011 06:03 AM by free2011.)
Quote: Actually, he has a point. If you were to accept that Earth, and Earth alone, was made for man then it would not matter how many planets there are or are not, this one would still be ours for us alone.

Your hostility towards religion blinds you to a sound argument.

Your right, his argument is sound. I mean how can you disagree that a god created a nice little spot for us, tucked away in the corner of the Universe 10 billion years after he created it. I mean the Bible says it's a fact so it makes total sense. Man I'm glad those guys got together and wrote that thing or I would have gone on thinking we were an insignificant blip in time. I assume he is letting us borrow the rest of our solar system.
07-10-2011, 09:44 AM
(07-10-2011 04:45 AM)Filox Wrote:  So, this means that we are prohibited to visit other planets and colonize them? Because, that would mean that we are invading Gods private space, according to this Psalm 115:16 ESV...

Theophilus, care to comment on this? I would like to hear your opinion, because I never heard that anyone is objecting to humans in space, so maybe you should look at this and start complaining. I don't mean you personally, but Christians and Creationists in general.

As far as I know there is nothing in the Bible that forbids space exploration. Colonization of other planets seems unlikely to occur because of the difficulties that would have to be overcome in order to establish an environment where humans could survive. Our earth simply seems to be the only place where we can survive.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2011, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2011 07:39 PM by 17thknight.)
(07-10-2011 05:58 AM)free2011 Wrote:  Your right, his argument is sound. I mean how can you disagree that a god created a nice little spot for us, tucked away in the corner of the Universe 10 billion years after he created it. I mean the Bible says it's a fact so it makes total sense. Man I'm glad those guys got together and wrote that thing or I would have gone on thinking we were an insignificant blip in time. I assume he is letting us borrow the rest of our solar system.

See? You prove my point again and again. You don't engage him in a reasoned debate, nor me for tha tmatter. You're lashing out on pure emotion, and without an iota of reason to it. The Bible does not preclude the possibility of life on other planets and only says that Earth is given unto man.

Let's take a moment to make a few assumptions. If we: 1. Assume God exists, and 2. Assume the Universe is just as vast as you say, why does that preclude the possibility of life on other planets? As this God gave Earth to mankind, so too could he have given other worlds to other sentient beings. You can neither prove nor disprove God with "how vast the universe is" arguments.

It's fun to contemplate the vastness of the universe, but you've vest way too much into this and you are not simply accepting that it is entirely plausible for a theist to both accept that the universe is vast and that God exists. Lashing out at people is not going to convince anyone, particularly if you aren't willing to listen to a reasonable response.

(07-10-2011 09:44 AM)theophilus Wrote:  As far as I know there is nothing in the Bible that forbids space exploration. Colonization of other planets seems unlikely to occur because of the difficulties that would have to be overcome in order to establish an environment where humans could survive. Our earth simply seems to be the only place where we can survive.

Sadly, as much as I love the idea, I think you're right. We're doomed to live out our short existence on our pale blue dot.

[+] 1 user Likes 17thknight's post
07-10-2011, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2011 08:50 PM by free2011.)
(07-10-2011 07:35 PM)17thknight Wrote:  
(07-10-2011 05:58 AM)free2011 Wrote:  Your right, his argument is sound. I mean how can you disagree that a god created a nice little spot for us, tucked away in the corner of the Universe 10 billion years after he created it. I mean the Bible says it's a fact so it makes total sense. Man I'm glad those guys got together and wrote that thing or I would have gone on thinking we were an insignificant blip in time. I assume he is letting us borrow the rest of our solar system.

Let's take a moment to make a few assumptions. If we: 1. Assume God exists, and 2. Assume the Universe is just as vast as you say, why does that preclude the possibility of life on other planets? As this God gave Earth to mankind, so too could he have given other worlds to other sentient beings. You can neither prove nor disprove God with "how vast the universe is" arguments.

1. God has to be assumed to NOT exist until evidence of his existence is found
2. The vastness of the Universe is a fact not an assumption
11-10-2011, 01:43 PM

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
16-10-2011, 11:18 PM
(07-10-2011 08:46 PM)free2011 Wrote:  1. God has to be assumed to NOT exist until evidence of his existence is found

An unwillingness to make assumptions and derive logical conclusions is not intellectually honest nor is it scientific.

17-10-2011, 06:16 AM
(16-10-2011 11:18 PM)17thknight Wrote:  
(07-10-2011 08:46 PM)free2011 Wrote:  1. God has to be assumed to NOT exist until evidence of his existence is found

An unwillingness to make assumptions and derive logical conclusions is not intellectually honest nor is it scientific.

You're right. I assume there are pink unicorns because I read a book on pink unicorns when I was a kid. Do believe in my pink unicorns as well?