One in a sextillion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2011, 06:36 PM
RE: One in a sextillion
(19-10-2011 11:00 AM)17thknight Wrote:  
(19-10-2011 12:26 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  Making assumptions based in nothing but old fairy tales is not intellectual or scientific. Come back when you have something besides an old book on your side. Thing is, even if you proved there were only 100k stars & planets in the universe, the earth was 7,000 years old and Evolution was impossible, you still haven't proven God/Creationism. To come to the "God exists" conclusion you must find hard evidence of his existence or rule out each and every possible alternate explanation (impossible - there are practically infinite explanations).

The only intellectually honest way to tackle a problem is to assume the negative on any supposition and then look for evidence to support the proposed theory, accepting it only when the evidence is sufficient, fits and is the best explanation for the known facts. Starting from a position of "god doesn't exist" is intellectually fair, assuming he does isn't. If we must assume all theories true until we disprove them, hello Zeus, Apollo and the Flying Pink Unicorns.

It isn't "my side" and neither you, nor ANYONE else here has yet to refute my point:
1. The Bible explicitly says the Earth is for man
2. Therefore demonstrating the vastness of the universe neither proves nor disproves anything

You're all so eager to spit invective and pure, unadulterated hatred and bigotry towards theists that you are unwilling to make one simple logical conclusion and accept the fact that your "proof" neither proves nor disproves anything.

Perhaps I misunderstood both you and your point - I thought you meant we/I should assume God exists as a matter of fact, rather than a matter of argument. IE live and believe as if he does. I've been told that before - "why not assume God exists rather than assume he doesn't?" I may have misunderstood because I've heard it said in that way almost a sextillion times by Christians around me.

I was incorrect, I'll admit that. AngelBlush I don't hate theists, but I do hate that argument (which I mistakenly thought you were making).

It does seem that the size of the universe is irrelevant if you accept that the Bible isn't saying the universe is for man, but only that earth is.

Better without God, and happier too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Fine let's go to the book.
A. Ancient Bible - Universe is less than 10,000 years old
B. Modern Cosmology - Universe is over 14 billion years old

I choose B
[+] 1 user Likes free2011's post
19-10-2011, 10:44 PM
The problem that Homo sapiens have in talking about "god", is that one has to assume, for argument's sake, that "it", (the deity), PREDATED this universe, in order for "it" to be the creator. The dimension of space-time BEGAN with the Big Bang. thus to say ANYTHING "happened" BEFORE space-time existed, is nonsensical, as NOTHING "happened" "before" there was the dimension of time, (and there could BE no "before"). We simply don't know about other dimensions etc., but to keep repeating THAT illogical crap, is overdue for a thorough dump in the scrap heap. It's basic logic.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
21-10-2011, 07:21 PM
again > > >

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

22-10-2011, 09:40 AM
(21-10-2011 07:21 PM)free2011 Wrote:  again > > >

And it's favorite local group, it's favorite galaxie, it's favorite galaxie group, it's favorite band of the structure of billions of galaxies, and it's favorite universe.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
04-11-2011, 02:23 AM

Again: you havne't proved jack or shit to a theist because nothing you have shown contradicts their beliefs. You are awful at logic.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
04-11-2011, 06:09 AM
(04-11-2011 02:23 AM)17thknight Wrote:  

Again: you havne't proved jack or shit to a theist because nothing you have shown contradicts their beliefs. You are awful at logic.

You simply can't disprove their beliefs. All you can do is put forth arguments against them based on scientific evidence. The Universe is over 14 billions years old, not 10,000 as their beliefs tell them it is. What else do you need?

Your turn. Prove to me there are no pink unicorns.
06-11-2011, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2011 05:43 PM by houseofcantor.)
(19-10-2011 11:14 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Sorry, I assumed you were a theist for some reason. No offense intended.
Still, let's say god is real, and that space is huge... what would he do with it all?

He ain't doing shit. What are we gonna do with alla nothing in the universe?

Data storage. Big Grin
(04-11-2011 06:09 AM)free2011 Wrote:  Your turn. Prove to me there are no pink unicorns.

They're invisible, silly. Big Grin

(Pink merely refers to their energetic state.)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user