One nation under god?????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2014, 12:20 PM
One nation under god?????
Ok I have been having a rash of "we need to be one nation under god" post poping up on my face book feed and seeing it around in the news. Do people really think a theocracy would be a good thing? Am I out of lines for thinking that no matter the flavor of the theocracy it would devolve to an Islamic style repressive regiem in just a short time?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
19-05-2014, 12:29 PM
RE: One nation under god?????
(19-05-2014 12:20 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Ok I have been having a rash of "we need to be one nation under god" post poping up on my face book feed and seeing it around in the news. Do people really think a theocracy would be a good thing? Am I out of lines for thinking that no matter the flavor of the theocracy it would devolve to an Islamic style repressive regiem in just a short time?

I think when people hear 'we need more God/ religion in govt' they assume it's their God and their religion. I'm actually in the middle of a facebook debate about whether or not government needs more religion. I'm the only atheist on there, but there is one Christian who is arguing the same stance as me. It keeps going back to morality comes from religion and America was founded as, and is currently still a Christian nation. Nothing new. Same bs, different day.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 1 user Likes =jesse='s post
19-05-2014, 12:30 PM
(19-05-2014 12:20 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Ok I have been having a rash of "we need to be one nation under god" post poping up on my face book feed and seeing it around in the news. Do people really think a theocracy would be a good thing? Am I out of lines for thinking that no matter the flavor of the theocracy it would devolve to an Islamic style repressive regiem in just a short time?

You're asking an atheist forum. I'm no expert, but I would the majority would answer "No you're not alone."

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
19-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I guess this group is kind of like minded in that area.

Why is it hard for religious people to not see things like:
It might not be your religion?
It might not be your version of your religion?
It might get biblically repressive on your ass?
etc
etc
etc.....
19-05-2014, 12:39 PM
(19-05-2014 12:34 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Yeah, I guess this group is kind of like minded in that area.

Why is it hard for religious people to not see things like:
It might not be your religion?
It might not be your version of your religion?
It might get biblically repressive on your ass?
etc
etc
etc.....

Because [God of choice] is obviously the only correct religion.

Atir aissom atir imon
19-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Funny how God didnt care about it when it was the Indian nation. Consider

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 7 users Like War Horse's post
19-05-2014, 02:40 PM
(19-05-2014 02:11 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Funny how God didnt care about it when it was the Indian nation. Consider

He only cares about the white, rich, male landowners.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 3 users Like Im_Ryan's post
19-05-2014, 03:39 PM
(19-05-2014 02:11 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Funny how God didnt care about it when it was the Indian nation. Consider

He also didn't care about being in the Pledge of Allegiance until about sixty years ago.
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post
21-05-2014, 06:28 AM
(19-05-2014 12:29 PM)=jesse= Wrote:  It keeps going back to morality comes from religion and America was founded as, and is currently still a Christian nation.

That is a valid argument. The government is secular, but the laws were based on the Christians sense of morality. Atheists need to generate a morality system to impose on their community and offer as a counter argument as to how to do good community.

That's the objective of the game plan for mankind - what is the morality system that will lead to peace and harmony?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
21-05-2014, 06:54 AM
(21-05-2014 06:28 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 12:29 PM)=jesse= Wrote:  It keeps going back to morality comes from religion and America was founded as, and is currently still a Christian nation.

That is a valid argument. The government is secular, but the laws were based on the Christians sense of morality. Atheists need to generate a morality system to impose on their community and offer as a counter argument as to how to do good community.

That's the objective of the game plan for mankind - what is the morality system that will lead to peace and harmony?

Why is it a valid argument? There is a strong chance Mosaic Law is copied or derived from some earlier set of laws, quite possibly the Code of Hammurabi which is secular, as far as I know. People do not need religion to figure out how to function as a society.