One nation under god?????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2014, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2014 09:59 AM by Alex_Leonardo.)
RE: One nation under god?????
(21-05-2014 08:53 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I think that what most people mean when they say that is they want a society like 1950s suburban America when Bob and Mary dress the kids up in Sunday best and head to church before stopping at the drive in for cheeseburgers and milkshakes. Then it's home to do chores before dad fires up a charcoal grill for dinner and we play baseball in the field across the street. to beat their children till they stop back mouthin' em. Daddy get's 'is paddle and WACK WACK WACK Then daddy slapp'd dem dang children 'cross their faces.

Fixed.
This is an NOW an accurate representation of the 50's.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2014, 09:27 AM
(21-05-2014 08:20 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 07:42 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  The point is that you copied your morals from a secular society. Ha.
I'm not a Christian - I'm an atheist. I understand that all moralities and laws are generated by people

You don't sound like an atheist...
(21-05-2014 06:28 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  That is a valid argument. The government is secular, but the laws were based on the Christians sense of morality. Atheists need to generate a morality system to impose on their community and offer as a counter argument as to how to do good community.

1. An atheist would not agree that America is founded on Christian principles.
2. An atheist would not refer to himself in the third person.
3. An atheist doesn't claim to have a moral compass, because atheism and morality are separate issues. Generally speaking, an atheist will use secular morals, but that does not mean secular = atheism.

(21-05-2014 07:42 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Atheists don't offer anything, that's not our job. It's society as a whole that decides how we should act.
And you are not understanding how that is accomplished. It's a real shame you bugged me for a copy of the charter that I am geenrating, and you cannot put together a reply - you're whiney bitch.

Quite simply whatever works. It's all a general consensus, which is why you have Europe accepting gays while the middle east stones them to death and America bullies them into suicide.

(21-05-2014 07:42 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Which is why you have different customs and variants of morality around the world.
Thumbsup Good reasoning Thumbsup

Not sure if sarcasm or actual props Consider

Atir aissom atir imon
21-05-2014, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2014 09:41 AM by germanyt.)
(21-05-2014 08:57 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 08:53 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I think that what most people mean when they say that is they want a society like 1950s suburban America when Bob and Mary dress the kids up in Sunday best and head to church before stopping at the drive in for cheeseburgers and milkshakes. Then it's home to do chores before dad fires up a charcoal grill for dinner and we play baseball in the field across the street. to beat their children till they stop back mouthin' em. Daddy get's 'is paddle and WACK WACK WACK Then daddy slapp'd dem dang children 'cross their faces.

Fixed.
Seriously, people want to be able to beat their children. Mostly religious people.
Also that is an accurate representation of the 50's.

You think that people say we need to be one nation under God it's because they want to beat their children? I spank my daughter and I don't subscribe to one nation under God. I also know hundreds of people who grew up in Christian households who've never had a hand laid on them. Kids get too much slack these days. They could use a little more discipline.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
21-05-2014, 09:48 AM
(21-05-2014 09:27 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  You don't sound like an atheist...
3. An atheist doesn't claim to have a moral compass, because atheism and morality are separate issues. Generally speaking, an atheist will use secular morals, but that does not mean secular = atheism.
And, you're going to say that atheism does not mean anything other than non-belief in gods???

(21-05-2014 09:27 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Quite simply whatever works. It's all a general consensus, which is why you have Europe accepting gays while the middle east stones them to death and America bullies them into suicide.

Not sure if sarcasm or actual challenge??? Consider

How do you think America should be run?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
21-05-2014, 09:55 AM
(21-05-2014 09:33 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 08:57 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Fixed.
Seriously, people want to be able to beat their children. Mostly religious people.
Also that is an accurate representation of the 50's.

You think that people say we need to be one nation under God it's because they want to beat their children?

Nope. Sorry. I just wanted to say that you had an inaccurate representation of the fifties.
Quote: Kids get too much slack these days. They could use a little more discipline.
Umm Okay, just make sure it's not to the point that she either:
1. calls the cops
2. Begins to love pain
3. Becomes emotionally distressed
I'm fine with it, just as long as you aren't abusive.
Quote:Kids get too much slack these days.
Well, have you been a kid today? I guess not. We may not get spanked and abused today as bad as it was in your time, but it's as harder then you had it, but just in a different way.
I'm stressing about my grades all of the time, trying to get a 4.0 GPA so I can get into my college easily (However I plan to abandon my american citizenship and go to a country with tax payed, free college.) and get a job, we have a entirely dysfunctional school system, every day you hear about a shooting or murder on the news, you always hear how some product causes cancer, or a disease, etc, everyday.
You always hear about how someone wants to launch a nuke, everyday.
You always hear about how people are being mean to each other for no reason.
You always hear bill-o'reily's stupid-ass voice.
So maybe you should try being a kid and see what's expected of you NOW to try and start a successful life.

21-05-2014, 09:56 AM
(21-05-2014 09:48 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 09:27 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  You don't sound like an atheist...
And, you're going to say that atheism does not mean anything other than non-belief in gods???

Yep, here's the definition. Simple.

(21-05-2014 09:48 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 09:27 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Quite simply whatever works. It's all a general consensus, which is why you have Europe accepting gays while the middle east stones them to death and America bullies them into suicide.

Not sure if sarcasm or actual challenge??? Consider

How do you think America should be run?

My opinion is invalid, I'm not a spokesperson nor pretend to be.

Atir aissom atir imon
21-05-2014, 09:57 AM
(21-05-2014 08:57 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Seriously, people want to be able to beat their children.

You're going to claim that you know how to raise children and that non-religious parenting is less abusive, and that that is a valid statistic??? Is it possibly effected by other bahavioral aspects that have not yet been isolated???

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
21-05-2014, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2014 10:03 AM by Alex_Leonardo.)
(21-05-2014 09:57 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 08:57 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Quote does not exist.

You're going to claim that you know how to raise children and that non-religious parenting is less abusive, and that that is a valid statistic??? Is it possibly effected by other bahavioral aspects that have not yet been isolated???
Dude. I was saying that was an inaccurate representation of the fifties.Also, Yes, I do know how to raise children.

[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
21-05-2014, 10:03 AM
(21-05-2014 08:53 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I think that what most people mean when they say that is they want a society like 1950s suburban America when Bob and Mary dress the kids up in Sunday best and head to church before stopping at the drive in for cheeseburgers and milkshakes. Then it's home to do chores before dad fires up a charcoal grill for dinner and we play baseball in the field across the street.

The crazies mean more people should be like Pat Robertson and Fred Phelps so god will stop sending gays and tornadoes to the US.

Romantic recolections of the past. The 50's were not really better, just different. My dad, who is in his mid 60's, is one of the few older people I know that says the good old days were not so great. Sure life was simpler and that was good, but there is something to be said for the advancement that have been made since then. He grew up without many of the convienances we take for granted like indoor plumbing, air conditioning, automatic washing machines, etc..
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
21-05-2014, 10:29 AM
Re: One nation under god?????
Well it's got the precedent set by supreme courts, who still use this judgment today as recent as this seasons sessions.

It has been ruled The phrase doesn't really mean anything so it's not endorsing religion. Same goes for in God we trust and any off hand religious nonsense phrase.

Which of course is sidestepping to placate nonsense ideals.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson