One of my favorite professors passed away...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2012, 07:20 PM
One of my favorite professors passed away...
http://www.oudaily.com/news/2012/oct/07/...7/?c=16295

He was a great historian and classicist. At least he will be remembered primarily for his academic work and impact on students.

How many of you guys have had professors/teachers you really like?

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2012, 09:21 PM
RE: One of my favorite professors passed away...
That's crappy, sorry for the loss.

I had a teacher in junior high and high school, he was a new teacher then. I always appreciated that he seemed to really notice what was going on with us. He eventually left teaching after tiring of the BS in a small town when certain kids could get away with anything because of who their parents were. After working his way up to principle, he just couldn't play the game any more.

I hadn't seen him in years and he tracked me down to send a card when my father passed away, I thought that was a classy move. We had dinner together a few years ago and keep in touch through email now.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Bummer, Dude. Undecided

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
08-10-2012, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2012 11:44 AM by GirlyMan.)
My favorite 2 are both still alive, thankfully. I found Professors Cherniak and Martin particularly influential when I was a Philosophy major at Maryland. I had the privilege of many excellent Computer Science professors after I switched majors, but they were teaching me a livelihood, Cherniak and Martin were teaching me me. Professor Martin's focus on self reminded me a lot of the Drop Yourself video bemore turned me onto. But Martin demanded a critical analysis from us, we couldn't just watch the video. Wink . The influence of Cherniak's Minimal Rationality on me is one of the reasons Chas often finds me ... well let's just say irksome and puzzling. Well that and the fundoshi. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-10-2012, 11:44 AM
(08-10-2012 11:35 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My favorite 2 are both still alive, thankfully. I found Professors Cherniak and Martin particularly influential when I was a Philosophy major at Maryland. I had the privilege of many excellent Computer Science professors after I switched majors, but they were teaching me a livelihood, Cherniak and Martin were teaching me me. The influence of Cherniak's Minimal Rationality on me is one of the reasons Chas often finds me ... well let's just say irksome and puzzling. Well that and the fundoshi. Big Grin

No, it's the fundoshi. Your ideas are neither irksome nor puzzling; just sometimes wacky.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-10-2012, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2012 12:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-10-2012 11:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 11:35 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My favorite 2 are both still alive, thankfully. I found Professors Cherniak and Martin particularly influential when I was a Philosophy major at Maryland. I had the privilege of many excellent Computer Science professors after I switched majors, but they were teaching me a livelihood, Cherniak and Martin were teaching me me. The influence of Cherniak's Minimal Rationality on me is one of the reasons Chas often finds me ... well let's just say irksome and puzzling. Well that and the fundoshi. Big Grin

No, it's the fundoshi. Your ideas are neither irksome nor puzzling; just sometimes wacky.

Being wacky's never bothered me, it's what I expect. Being right, on the other hand, does trouble me. Whenever I'm right I can't help but think, "No no that can't be right, there's something whack going on here."

And now, for some disturbing reason, I am reminded of the late great Luther Ingram. Big Grin

08-10-2012, 11:55 AM
(08-10-2012 11:53 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 11:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, it's the fundoshi. Your ideas are neither irksome nor puzzling; just sometimes wacky.

Being wrong's never bothered me, it's what I expect. Being right, on the other hand, does trouble me. Whenever I'm right I can't help but think, "No no that can't be right, there's something wrong here."

And now, for some disturbing reason, I am reminded of the late great Luther Ingram. Big Grin

That truly is disturbing.Blink

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-10-2012, 11:59 AM
(08-10-2012 11:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 11:53 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Being wrong's never bothered me, it's what I expect. Being right, on the other hand, does trouble me. Whenever I'm right I can't help but think, "No no that can't be right, there's something wrong here."

That truly is disturbing.Blink

I know, right?

08-10-2012, 12:36 PM
The first person who I really felt close to who died was one of my lecturers at uni. It's shit. Sorry man. The best bit was two years later I was TA for his old course so I found myself sitting up at night redoing those old experiments and reading his notes again. That was really cool.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post