One of my sisters didn't know I gave up religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2016, 03:17 PM
One of my sisters didn't know I gave up religion
Today I went shopping with two of my sisters.
Now I was pretty sure they all knew I gave up religion since I sent it in a group text not too long ago. I told my sisters because I knew they wouldn't judge me.. I was wrong about one of them.
My oldest sister doesn't care and my youngest could care less.
The one younger than me though.. I guess missed the memo. Today we stopped by the comic book store do I could grab a few comics. One wanted to see the game section so I took them.
The most religious one picked up a ouija board and was talking about getting it.. I slipped and said "since I gave up religion those things aren't as intimidating"
She began asking questions and then stopped talking to me, I asked if she wanted to talk about it and I got a "no we aren't going to"

Oh well.. She knows now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2016, 03:20 PM
RE: One of my sisters didn't know I gave up religion
Cool. Time for her to grow up.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
18-06-2016, 03:39 PM
All you can do is just be you. If she has a problem with that, then that's entirely on her. She'll get over it more as she matures in her understanding of the world and begins to form more of her own independent ideas.

How much younger is she? If she's still living with her parents, then there's definitely still time for her yet. Laugh out load
Either way, over time she's bound to shed at least some of this ingrained aversion to being exposed to ideas that she doesn't like. Just try not to let it divide you.
It will be a difficult, but necessary, learning experience for her.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
18-06-2016, 04:00 PM
My youngest brother is an Atheist, my younger I not sure. I think he mostly just doesn't care. I know his wife is catholic, and her brother is an atheist as well. So i'm in good company most of the time at famliy gatherings. The Subject never comes up so it's never a real issue.

Out of all of them I think I've defiantly took the largest step away. Trying to really find out the truth. They mostly are because they don't want to be bothered.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
18-06-2016, 04:20 PM
She believes spirits can talk to you from the beyond via ouija board (I hear they have a great pay monthly plan for the spectral (ghosts, not autistics)), and she's the one that doesn't talk to you?? If anyone should be offended/disappointed in this situation it's you, not her.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
18-06-2016, 05:45 PM
(18-06-2016 03:17 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Today I went shopping with two of my sisters.
Now I was pretty sure they all knew I gave up religion since I sent it in a group text not too long ago. I told my sisters because I knew they wouldn't judge me.. I was wrong about one of them.
My oldest sister doesn't care and my youngest could care less.
The one younger than me though.. I guess missed the memo. Today we stopped by the comic book store do I could grab a few comics. One wanted to see the game section so I took them.
The most religious one picked up a ouija board and was talking about getting it.. I slipped and said "since I gave up religion those things aren't as intimidating"
She began asking questions and then stopped talking to me, I asked if she wanted to talk about it and I got a "no we aren't going to"

Oh well.. She knows now.

You're still the same sister. I hope she can get past the non-belief part, and still love you the same.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
18-06-2016, 05:48 PM
(18-06-2016 04:00 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  My youngest brother is an Atheist, my younger I not sure. I think he mostly just doesn't care. I know his wife is catholic, and her brother is an atheist as well. So i'm in good company most of the time at famliy gatherings. The Subject never comes up so it's never a real issue.

Out of all of them I think I've defiantly took the largest step away. Trying to really find out the truth. They mostly are because they don't want to be bothered.

I envy you in that regard. I am the only out Heathen I know. I literally have no one outside TTA.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-06-2016, 06:23 PM
(18-06-2016 05:48 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 04:00 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  My youngest brother is an Atheist, my younger I not sure. I think he mostly just doesn't care. I know his wife is catholic, and her brother is an atheist as well. So i'm in good company most of the time at famliy gatherings. The Subject never comes up so it's never a real issue.

I envy you in that regard. I am the only out Heathen I know. I literally have no one outside TTA.

Same here.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-06-2016, 06:25 PM
(18-06-2016 03:39 PM)cactus Wrote:  All you can do is just be you. If she has a problem with that, then that's entirely on her. She'll get over it more as she matures in her understanding of the world and begins to form more of her own independent ideas.

How much younger is she? If she's still living with her parents, then there's definitely still time for her yet. Laugh out load
Either way, over time she's bound to shed at least some of this ingrained aversion to being exposed to ideas that she doesn't like. Just try not to let it divide you.
It will be a difficult, but necessary, learning experience for her.

This ^
18-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Give her some time to digest it, then maybe ask her if she would like to talk about it again. Or at least tell her that you're willing to talk to her about it if she so desires. Leaving the door open could mean a great deal for both of you in the future.

One of the things I always think about when someone talks about telling others some new plan or new thought process is that the person who is doing the telling has had lots of time to absorb the change and live with it while other people are learning something new. It takes time to come to terms with something totally different, especially if it's something not of your own making.

She may feel a variety of things like shock, shame, disappointment, fear, even betrayal. They may not be right but that doesn't make them less easy for her to deal with them. Be patient and open to her. Hopefully she'll come to terms with it and you two will not suffer for it.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post