One question that completely refutes atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2014, 02:35 PM
RE: One question that completely refutes atheism
(21-07-2014 02:33 PM)Rumraket Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 01:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  What I want here is to find out how you rationalize your self contradictory position.
I believe absolute truth exists. I don't claim to know what that absolute truth is, however.

Now, where's the "complete refutation" of atheism?

How would you know absolute truth if it happened then?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like CiderThinker's post
21-07-2014, 02:52 PM
(21-07-2014 02:35 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 02:33 PM)Rumraket Wrote:  I believe absolute truth exists. I don't claim to know what that absolute truth is, however.

Now, where's the "complete refutation" of atheism?

How would you know absolute truth if it happened then?
I don't claim to know that I would. I don't claim absolute certainty about any of my convictions.

I don't claim that any of the things I know, I know with absolute certainty.

Nevertheless I do believe there are truths about the world, I can't see how there could not be. It seems to be a precondition for using deductive logic, we simply have to assume the foundational axioms of logic both theists and atheists alike. That there are things that are true and not false, even if we don't know with absolute certainty what those things are.

The problem is that our dear op seems to be a presuppositionalist who has some superior method of accounting for and knowing absolute truth. How can he? I'd really like to know. I'd like him to start engaging me so we can find out.

"When inventing a god, the most important thing is to claim it is invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise, people will become skeptical when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing." - Anonymous
21-07-2014, 03:01 PM
(21-07-2014 02:52 PM)Rumraket Wrote:  I'd really like to know. I'd like him to start engaging me so we can find out.

He will outmatch your debate skills by being as boring as fuck. Good luck Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
21-07-2014, 03:11 PM
(21-07-2014 03:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 02:52 PM)Rumraket Wrote:  I'd really like to know. I'd like him to start engaging me so we can find out.

He will outmatch your debate skills by being as boring as fuck. Good luck Smile
Yeah well I can't fight that, but let's just see how many memes he's prepared for this shall we? Laugh out load

"When inventing a god, the most important thing is to claim it is invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise, people will become skeptical when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing." - Anonymous
21-07-2014, 03:14 PM
There is absolute truth.
This thread topic is, for example, absolutely stupid.
There is also absolutely no God.
Christianity is absolutely false.
There was absolutely no worldwide flood.
Adam and Eve are absolutely myths.
Etc.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
21-07-2014, 04:21 PM
One question that completely refutes atheism
I've gotten 2 things from reading this thread:

1) I like the way KC boiled down the message best. Straight to the point. Well said.

2) The OP really likes that one picture of Gene Wilder.

Did I miss anything important?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 6 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
21-07-2014, 04:53 PM
(21-07-2014 04:21 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Did I miss anything important?

Truth sucking my dick. ... No biggie.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-07-2014, 06:07 PM
(21-07-2014 01:13 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 09:44 AM)Impulse Wrote:  No.
However, if there was a god, there would be absolute truth.

How was this completely refuting atheism again? Drinking Beverage

1. Call yourself stupid.
2. Endorse a stupid argument.
3. Call those who question your argument stupid.
4. ??
5. Therefore GAAAAAAWD
6. Profit!
I think #4 is "troll around for awhile".

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
21-07-2014, 06:41 PM
(21-07-2014 06:07 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 01:13 PM)cjlr Wrote:  1. Call yourself stupid.
2. Endorse a stupid argument.
3. Call those who question your argument stupid.
4. ??
5. Therefore GAAAAAAWD
6. Profit!
I think #4 is "troll around for awhile".

Nonono, that's all of 1-5. .... maybe 6, if he ever finds a way to it.

I think 4 is "Therefore GAAAAAAWD", and #5 is "Get enough attention so that churches and other religious groups pay to have me give talks and represent them in debates."

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
21-07-2014, 07:59 PM
(20-07-2014 11:53 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Does absolute truth exist?

Yes there is such a thing as absolute truth. Your question presupposes several absolute truths. Your question presupposes that something exists to know and that there are conscious beings able to know it. That is two right there, existence exists and there is a consciousness that knows it. Also implicit in your question is the fact that things exist possessing specific identities or attributes. That is three absolute truths already and we are not done yet.

Another absolute truth implicit in your question and in all questions is the primacy of existence in the relationship between consciousness and existence. This is the principle of the primacy of existence or the principle that things exist independent of anyone's consciousness. Facts are facts regardless of anyone's likes or dislikes, feelings or faith.

These four truths are axiomatic. They are implicit in all knowledge, all questions, all arguments and even all disagreements. We can know they are true because they have to be true even to disagree with them. Their opponents have to accept and use these principles even to attempt to refute them.

Atheism stands.

We do not have to overturn every rock and look in every corner of the universe in order to reject the claims of theists. The claim of an all powerful god contradicts the four truths listed above. If there is no evidence for any gods and the concept of gods as it is informed by theists contradicts known facts (existence, consciousness, identity, and the primacy of existence) then atheists are justified in rejecting the claims of theists.

If what you are claiming is that we can't reject any claim unless we can have absolute certainty then by that standard we would have to at least partially accept every single claim that anyone ever made including claims that contradict each other.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 4 users Like true scotsman's post