One question that completely refutes atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2014, 11:11 PM
RE: One question that completely refutes atheism
With the caveat that I have not read every post in this thread:

Your whole contention that atheism can be refuted is a non starter.
I hope somebody already pointed that out at, or near, the beginning of this thread.

Why can I say that?
Because atheism does not make any claims. Atheism is disbelief of the theistic claim: God(s) exist!. End of story.

I grant you that some atheists chose to make a claim that gods do not exist but that claim is their personal burden to bear.
Atheism itself makes no such claim.

As such (suck it up cupcake theists) atheism is the null position versus the specific claim that all theists make, namely that god(s) exist. It is not possible to refute a null position.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RogueWarrior's post
22-07-2014, 05:14 AM
True Scotsman pretty much nailed it.

"When inventing a god, the most important thing is to claim it is invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise, people will become skeptical when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing." - Anonymous
22-07-2014, 09:49 AM
(21-07-2014 06:41 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  I think 4 is "Therefore GAAAAAAWD", and #5 is "Get enough attention so that churches and other religious groups pay to have me give talks and represent them in debates."
So, in other words, #5 is "Dream". Tongue

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
22-07-2014, 10:11 AM
(21-07-2014 11:11 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Because atheism does not make any claims. Atheism is disbelief of the theistic claim: God(s) exist!. End of story.

That's a lie. You make the positive claim that logic is valid and that your mind can be trusted.

Truth seeker.
22-07-2014, 10:17 AM
(22-07-2014 10:11 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 11:11 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Because atheism does not make any claims. Atheism is disbelief of the theistic claim: God(s) exist!. End of story.

That's a lie. You make the positive claim that logic is valid and that your mind can be trusted.

By which logic everything you've said is also bullshit, because it also relies on certain assumptions and conclusions.

Any sentence starting "logic is bad, therefore..." would seem to have some problems right out of the starting gate.

Besides which, you'd then have reached the I and I level of contribution: "No we r dun kno anyting trololololol COCKS COCKS COCKS"

Thank you for wasting everyone's time.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
22-07-2014, 10:20 AM
(21-07-2014 01:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  What I want here is to find out how you rationalize your self contradictory position.

What is our "self contradictory position"? I have a feeling you're arguing against a strawman of atheism. I already explained that earlier and you glossed over it, so I'm assuming you want to hyper-define atheism into something it's not.

Again, do you believe in leprechauns?
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
22-07-2014, 10:22 AM
(22-07-2014 10:17 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 10:11 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  That's a lie. You make the positive claim that logic is valid and that your mind can be trusted.

By which logic everything you've said is also bullshit, because it also relies on certain assumptions and conclusions.

Any sentence starting "logic is bad, therefore..." would seem to have some problems right out of the starting gate.

Besides which, you'd then have reached the I and I level of contribution: "No we r dun kno anyting trololololol COCKS COCKS COCKS"

Thank you for wasting everyone's time.

Ad homenims? Really? I thought atheists were well rehearsed in logic. Oh well.

(22-07-2014 10:20 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 01:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  What I want here is to find out how you rationalize your self contradictory position.

What is our "self contradictory position"? I have a feeling you're arguing against a strawman of atheism. I already explained that earlier and you glossed over it, so I'm assuming you want to hyper-define atheism into something it's not.

Again, do you believe in leprechauns?

Atheism is the rejection of religious claims on the grounds of logic, which you have not demonstrated is able to exist without God.

Truth seeker.
22-07-2014, 10:39 AM
(22-07-2014 10:22 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Atheism is the rejection of religious claims on the grounds of logic, which you have not demonstrated is able to exist without God.

FALSE.

Atheism is the absence of a belief in the existence of deities, which are a particular kind of religious claim, but do not constitute all religious claims. Some atheists do employ logic as a tool for analyzing these claims. Some do not. NOT ALL ATHEISTS ARRIVE AT THEIR ATHEISM THROUGH A LOGICAL PROCESS.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
22-07-2014, 10:39 AM
(22-07-2014 10:22 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Atheism is the rejection of religious claims on the grounds of logic, which you have not demonstrated is able to exist without God.
No, it isn't. Try again. Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
22-07-2014, 10:42 AM
(22-07-2014 10:39 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
No, it isn't. Try again. Drinking Beverage

What? So what I've been hearing from you all this time is a lie? Gasp

Truth seeker.