One question that completely refutes atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2014, 10:50 AM
RE: One question that completely refutes atheism
(22-07-2014 10:42 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 10:39 AM)Impulse Wrote:  No, it isn't. Try again. Drinking Beverage

What? So what I've been hearing from you all this time is a lie? Gasp
Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. That's it and it's no lie. If you've been "hearing" anything else, then you haven't been paying attention very well.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
22-07-2014, 10:51 AM
(22-07-2014 10:50 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 10:42 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  What? So what I've been hearing from you all this time is a lie? Gasp
Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. That's it and it's no lie. If you've been "hearing" anything else, then you haven't been paying attention very well.

What is your basis for lack of a belief in God?

Truth seeker.
22-07-2014, 11:02 AM
(22-07-2014 10:51 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  What is your basis for lack of a belief in God?
You're attempting to define atheism so this question is irrelevant. I just defined it for you. There is nothing more to it. My basis is specific to me, not to atheism.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
22-07-2014, 11:07 AM
(22-07-2014 10:22 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Ad homenims? Really? I thought atheists were well rehearsed in logic. Oh well.

I guess "ad hominem" is just one more thing we'll have to add to the list of things you don't understand.

But no, that wasn't one. And yes, if you act like an idiot, people will helpfully point out why.

(22-07-2014 10:22 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Atheism is the rejection of religious claims on the grounds of logic, which you have not demonstrated is able to exist without God.

Presuppositionalism is a cesspit of intellectual failure.
(aka "I have no argument and can't prove anything, so I will just continue to loudly repeat my assertions in the vain hope that it will eventually make them true")

You can swim in that shitlake, if you're so inclined, but you'll have to pardon me for refraining.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
22-07-2014, 11:10 AM
(22-07-2014 11:07 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 10:22 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Ad homenims? Really? I thought atheists were well rehearsed in logic. Oh well.

I guess "ad hominem" is just one more thing we'll have to add to the list of things you don't understand.

But no, that wasn't one. And yes, if you act like an idiot, people will helpfully point out why.

(22-07-2014 10:22 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Atheism is the rejection of religious claims on the grounds of logic, which you have not demonstrated is able to exist without God.

Presuppositionalism is a cesspit of intellectual failure.
(aka "I have no argument and can't prove anything, so I will just continue to loudly repeat my assertions in the vain hope that it will eventually make them true")

You can swim in that shitlake, if you're so inclined, but you'll have to pardon me for refraining.

How do you dismiss presuppositional apologetics so easily? They are what single handedly stopped me from being an atheist. I was a fundimentalist atheist untill I heard Sye Ten, now I see atheism as dumb.

Truth seeker.
22-07-2014, 11:23 AM
(22-07-2014 11:10 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  How do you dismiss presuppositional apologetics so easily? They are what single handedly stopped me from being an atheist. I was a fundimentalist atheist untill I heard Sye Ten, now I see atheism as dumb.
God exists so therefore God exists... Apparently it didn't take much to stop you from being an atheist. Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
22-07-2014, 11:26 AM
(22-07-2014 11:23 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 11:10 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  How do you dismiss presuppositional apologetics so easily? They are what single handedly stopped me from being an atheist. I was a fundimentalist atheist untill I heard Sye Ten, now I see atheism as dumb.
God exists so therefore God exists... Apparently it didn't take much to stop you from being an atheist. Drinking Beverage

Apparently you missed the part where it proves that atheism is just as circular. "Logic exists, therefore logic exists"?

Truth seeker.
22-07-2014, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2014 01:16 PM by Mathilda.)
(22-07-2014 11:26 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  "Logic exists, therefore logic exists"?

Your problem is that you can only think in black and white.

Answer me this.

Does a fantasy exist?

Maths and Logic are tools. They exist only in human brains. They are useful but not infallible because they can only partially model reality. Logic for example requires the absolute values of True and False.

If you wiped out the human race then logic would not exist. Sye Ten Bruggencate's arguments only work if you accept things as being 100% absolutely true or false with nothing else being inbetween, which is ludicrous.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
22-07-2014, 11:40 AM

Anecdotal assertions hold zero weight and cannot be used as evidence or as an argument in any realm of debate nor can you falsely impose your perceived credence in that assertion to someone else. That right is reserved for empirical evidence.

You can have your anecdotal assertions and use them for yourself as your own evidence, but they are exclusive to you and you alone.

Seeing as you are consistently attempting to impose your unprovable premises as fact, it's no wonder why you are dismissed so rapidly.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 7 users Like kingschosen's post
22-07-2014, 11:45 AM
(22-07-2014 11:10 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  How do you dismiss presuppositional apologetics so easily?

Because it is extremely stupid.

It is the literal exact definition of begging the question.
"Beginning from the assumption that A is true, we can conclude that A is true".

And it doesn't actually avoid any problems with theism. At best you get a very half-assed deism out of it.

Let's assume the whole damn nonsense is reasonable (protip: it's not). Take your pick of the whole litter of mongrel runt "arguments" - morality/logic/"the universe" exists, therefore GAAAAWD, etc.

Unless and until you can define "God" coherently and meaningfully these are utterly empty propositions.
(absent further elaboration, "God" is necessarily implicitly defined as "that which enables morality/logic/'the universe' to exist", which is both a) totally irrelevant to any specific theistic religion, and b) a wholly pointless matter of semantic runaround, neither predicting nor explaining nor even describing anything whatsoever)

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post