One question that completely refutes atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2014, 01:58 PM
RE: One question that completely refutes atheism
Ah yes. The familiar smell of bullshit...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
20-07-2014, 02:09 PM
(20-07-2014 11:53 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Does absolute truth exist?

If it does, it's not in the Bible. That's the absolute truth.
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
20-07-2014, 02:18 PM
What's the purpose of this thread?

Diddo, you're one of the most schizophrenic posters I've ever seen. In one thread you'll say that atheists are probably right but that you're too afraid to embrace atheism. In another thread, or even the same thread, you'll admit to being a brain-dead moron who is probably one of the most foolish people on the board.

Then you post a thread like this where you claim to "demolish" atheism and then insult our collective intellects for choosing to be atheist.

Do you even know what you want anymore?

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
20-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Sye's argument obliterates itself. Why is this even considered a coherent point for anything?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
20-07-2014, 02:47 PM
(20-07-2014 02:18 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Diddo, you're one of the most schizophrenic posters I've ever seen. In one thread you'll say that atheists are probably right but that you're too afraid to embrace atheism. In another thread, or even the same thread, you'll admit to being a brain-dead moron who is probably one of the most foolish people on the board.

Then you post a thread like this where you claim to "demolish" atheism and then insult our collective intellects for choosing to be atheist.

I'm wondering if it's a co-incidence that this thread was started on Sunday evening, perhaps after a particularly long day of worshipping ...

Diddo will probably be coming round to atheism by Saturday.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
20-07-2014, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2014 03:05 PM by Reltzik.)
(20-07-2014 01:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Define "truth".
Then define "absolute".
Then I'll explain why the question is meaningless.

Have a nice day.

Also, define existence while you're at it. Though the notion of existence is fairly intuitive for some things (such as a rock I'm holding), there's a lot of grey area surrounding particular definitions of existence. For example, if we define something to exist if it is "present in the universe", then the universe does not exist, unless we allow an infinite regress of self-containment.

In any case, Sye's argument falls flat in several places... the first being that he presents nearly every choice as a false dichotomy. This little gem is particularly telling: http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/changing.php

(You get here after saying that logic can change. And the shape of logic HAS changed. Aristotelian logic didn't allow for a "no _____ is ____" claim without acknowledging the existence of at least one member of the first ____. Cartesian logic shifted the universal claim so that it can be evaluated even for empty sets.)

At several points, Sye attempts to persuade us that any measure of uncertainty on our part must require us to yield to his position. Just because we are not 100% confident of A, does not imply not-A to be true.

At the core of his argument... a core that he tries damned hard to hide from anyone visiting his site... is a complete non-sequitur that in order for truth to exist, God must exist. (And not just any god. His God.) He provides a bit of word salad in support of this claim, but it is flimsy at best. Particularly telling is that Sye demands that the only reliable truth is that which is revealed from an omniscient source (ie, his God), but he offers no evidence that he has actually received such an inspired revelation, or that the source of such a revelation is actually such a God, rather than a funky hallucination inspired by funky mushrooms. (Honestly, that's probably the simplest explanation for the Book of Revelations.)

Nor does he even try to convince us even in the abstract that there is any possible way to be absolutely certain that a given revelation IS from an omniscient (and honest) being, which problem is clearly evident if we recognize that there are many people who claim to have had such revelations, and that many of these claimed revelations contradict each other. The only way to establish this point is to assume that prior to accepting that a given "message" is from a divine, infallible, omniscient revealer (and thus can be accepted as absolute truth), we must first somehow know as absolutely true that such a critter exists... which then requires a preceding revelation to trust that revelation, which in turn requires another preceding revelation, and on and on. If we wish to assert that it is possible to know the absolute truth of a revelation's reliability without a preceding revelation, then we acknowledge that it is possible to know absolute truth absent a revelation, which contradicts Sye's central premise.

In any event...

Thread title: "One question that completely refutes atheism"

(20-07-2014 11:53 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Does absolute truth exist?

(20-07-2014 11:57 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  [Image: Debunking+Atheists+certainty1.jpg]
Caption of pic: So you say absolute certainty does not exist. Enlighten me, how are you certain of that?

(20-07-2014 12:03 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Is "probably not" absolutely true?

... You've exceeded your question-bid by over 200%, and your contract is now cancelled.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
20-07-2014, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2014 03:17 PM by Reltzik.)
Quick Addendum: Here's a tip for all you budding apologetics out there. If you think you have a solid, knock-em-dead, easily-obliterate-atheism argument, don't hide it in an obscure link at the end of a "choose your own adventure" obstacle course of puerile and fallacious logic. Put it boldly out in the open. Lead with your best shot. Don't swaddle it with inaccessibility. Put it out there where anyone can tear it to shreds, because if an argument CAN be torn to shreds, it SHOULD be, and you will be a better apologist and a clearer thinker for putting some skin in the game and learning at the school of hard knocks. Besides, you wouldn't want to honor your "god of truth" with rhetorical falsehoods and con jobs, would you?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 6 users Like Reltzik's post
20-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Here's a hint diddo :
Where does the criteria to determine what you're asking come from ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-07-2014, 03:12 PM
(20-07-2014 02:58 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Besides, you wouldn't want to honor your "god of truth" with rhetorical falsehoods and con jobs, would you?

Funny thing, the old God of Con jobs would definitely call himself the God of Truth if he were to stand at the door and knock.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
20-07-2014, 04:29 PM
(20-07-2014 02:47 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(20-07-2014 02:18 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Diddo, you're one of the most schizophrenic posters I've ever seen. In one thread you'll say that atheists are probably right but that you're too afraid to embrace atheism. In another thread, or even the same thread, you'll admit to being a brain-dead moron who is probably one of the most foolish people on the board.

I'm wondering if it's a co-incidence that this thread was started on Sunday evening, perhaps after a particularly long day of worshipping ...

Diddo will probably be coming round to atheism by Saturday.

No. I haven't been to church in a long time. It doesn't make sense to me. (I wasn't even aware it's Sunday, that's how retarded I am)

Truth seeker.