One reason why America is overweight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2011, 08:36 PM
RE: One reason why America is overweight
(03-03-2011 06:44 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  It's not a bad thing to be cynical about such matters at all. The fear paradigm plays in all things politic. So when fossil fuel is the largest commodity invested in making the world run, it stands to reason the price is going to be at a premium.

Trust me on this: the costs of fuel has not a damn thing to do with it being the largest commodity in making the world run and has everything to do with profiteering by a very small group of scumbags and a paid for US government who is completely unwilling to forgo their massive campaign contributions and do anything about it. And, now that we face a real potential supply issue due to Libya you're going to see some serious price increases at the pump.

I'm hoping this is the moment when the rest of the world shows up at the doorstep of the US Congress and President Obama and says "really?" and demands we do something about this or threaten us with sanctions. Won't happen though, because the rest of the world fears us, needs us, and doesn't have the balls to stand up to us. A boy can dream, though.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2011, 11:28 PM
(04-03-2011 02:48 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  I wonder what the correlation is between weight and religious identity.

There is absolutely no doubt that people here in the BB are fatter overall than they were in the northeast. No doubt at all. I have been appalled on more than one occasion by the sights of people here. Stunned, even.

Is there a correlation? I don't know about that, but there certainly is a co-incidence.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
06-03-2011, 10:03 PM
What scares me more was a report I read a while back that stated that by 2015-2020 there will be 1 billion obese people. Starving people are still around , and those that are malnourished are also around that number.
Weird species we are.

Also , the only one reason I can think of is the industrialized society - less time , more money , more crappy food available and easy to eat.

As for religion being linked to obesity - depends.Aren't some sects of buddhism and hinduism vegeterains. I just think some religious practices are more beneficial to one's health(from a dietary standpoint) than others.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
10-03-2011, 01:13 AM

Eh grains, part of diet...

Not really. I mean they could in carefully managed portions, but that defeats the whole purpose of eat as much as you want. Personally I add pita bread to my diet with tuna for some tuna fish pita snacks ^^

If you can afford good lean meats, by all means. Grill yourself up a steak and go to town. Or ribs. Or bacon (contrary to popular belief, bacon is not unhealthful). And pork. And chicken. Do not be fooled into thinking vegetarianism is more healthful. It isn't.

And you can om nom nom baked potatoes or sweet potatoes with some butter and cinnamon (I use honey butter). FUCKING DELICIOUS.
Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2011, 11:51 PM

Most people assume they are simply eating more than they should, but the research evidence suggests that the real problem is that they are burning too few calories instead.
28-03-2011, 07:19 AM
I am a little late on this thread (been busy with kidding season here on the farm--baby goats), but on thing that needs to be pointed out is that Americans spend a far less percentage of their budget on food than people in other parts of the world because we make a lot more money. Say it takes 1800 calories a day to keep a human (basic size) healthy( not talking nutrients here, just calories). Americans spend less than 10% of their budget a day on food, Japan 17% and India 51%. Just think what percentage a person in Laos, Mali, or Burkina Faso spends on food. If you make only $3.00/USD a day, the food you intake has to sustain you. No disposable income for sweets and empty calorie fillers.
I travel outside the US a fair amount (at least 2-3 times a year) and when I come back I am always AMAZED at the amount of food Americans consume. Basically it comes down to the fact that people are lazy (thus the plethora of fast food joints) and have little control (they can't say NO...food is a drug). Also, in the US people don't walk or ride bicycles as much as in other countries. In many places in the US people who chose to ride their bike to work are looked down on (people think they lost their license to DUI etc.).
Because I have had "hard times" in my life, where I didn't have much money to eat on, when I buy food, I buy food that will sustain me because at one time in my life i went hungry off and on. I would never buy sodas, or candy, or junk food, because it isn't going to help me stay alive.
Americans have too much access to cheap food and too much disposable income on which to spend it. That is the cruz of the problem.
28-03-2011, 08:27 AM

OK, I have to ask. If a person sees a problem, and comes up with a possible solution then what stops them from acting on the solution?
The problem with food waste is atrocious, so why doesn't someone go to corporate headquarters and offer solutions that will might stop food waste? Why not place adds in news papers through out the country offering ideas on how to not waste the food by helping to feed the poor, or at least collecting the food for local compost sites. We have to build the communities, not just further allow them to disintegrate and continue to be "prayed for" by the local idiots.
28-03-2011, 10:07 AM
catdance, I agree. Food simply isn't considered valuable by the masses because it's cheap and easy. What needs to happen is, food needs to cost MORE. Now before anyone says, "well that will just make the hungry hungrier" let me explain. By balancing food costs according to what the cost to produce from start to finish, the processed, preserved, multi-ingredient, full-o-crap food will skyrocket in price, while the foods that are better, healthier, more natural, and fresh will drop. It SHOULD be cheaper to produce a head of broccoli than it is to make a bottle of coke. So why is the coke cheaper at the grocery store? It had to be mixed, prepared, preserved, packaged, shipped, etc etc. The problem is that it's made from things that the government wants us to use -read corn-. The government subsidizes the corn so farmers grow it instead of broccoli. That means that people can afford a bottle of coke, but they have to spend a larger portion of their food budget on fresh vegetables. Stop subsidizing the crap, and start encouraging farmers to grow real food and the price of the real food will go down and be affordable. The problem is that the government is run by people who make MONEY from the sale of things like coke, so that's what they want us to buy!

blainesgirl, many activists go to corporate headquarters and offer solutions. But "corporate headquarters" aren't interested unless it makes them more money. Ads in newspapers are small potatoes. There are feature length films that address these issues! There are tons of composting facilities out there. Tons of solutions for corporations to compost. The problem isn't whether they exist, it's whether we use them, or tell the corporations that we won't use their products unless they use them. At the end of the day, the solution really is in the hands of Joe Bloe. That's you and me!
If you see a problem, there's likely already a solution. What's stopping you from finding that solution and acting on it?

Just visiting.

-SR
28-03-2011, 10:09 AM

That, my friend is what I am trying to do right now. If I can't do something about it, "who can and how do we get things done" is exactly what I am trying to figure out right now.
28-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Awesome! Keep in mind I get really passionate about this stuff. If I ever sound accusatory, it's not intended that way. Just give me shit if I come across like that.

Is there some specific problem you're working on? I may be able to provide some ideas.

Just visiting.

-SR