One sentence for why you are an Atheist . . .

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2011, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2011 06:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: One sentence for why you are an Atheist . . .
Because the promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is not only completely untenable, it is delusional bullshit designed to dissuade, persuade and ultimately control, or at least corral, the naive.

Any promise of a postmortem preservation of personal identity is preposterous. (read in Daffy Duck voice)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Any God who would create such a broken world and then do nothing to help mitigate earthly suffering is not deserving of anyone's worship.

As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods;
They kill us for their sport.
- Shakespeare's King Lear
04-09-2011, 12:28 AM

Everyone's using quotes, I'll go for Douglas Adams. "Isn't it enough to think a garden is beautiful, without imagining that there are faeries at the bottom of it?"

I remember going on a date a few months ago, and I always tried to get the atheist thing out there early. It can be a dealbreaker for some people. The woman said "So you don't believe in anything that you don't have evidence for?" What a strange question? I really don't know on what other basis I would believe something to be true.
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2011, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2011 08:38 AM by Joe Bloe.)
(03-09-2011 02:15 PM)free2011 Wrote:  
(03-09-2011 06:20 AM)Joe Bloe Wrote:  I don't believe in God.

Okay how about "Why don't you believe in God?"

I wasn't being flippant. I have never believed in god.

I went to Sunday School for eight years starting when I was four, and not once did I ever think there might be a chance that god existed ... and that with a threat of hellfire and damnation hanging over me (but then I didn't believe in hell either!).

By definition, I am an atheist - because I don't believe in god.

Edit:
I suppose I could add that I don't believe in god because I see no evidence for his existence, but there is more to it than that. If I was presented with a large amount of evidence that seemed to prove god's existence, I would assume that it has been faked, so I still wouldn't believe.

And if god himself appeared before me and it was conclusively proved that he did exist, I would punch him on the nose for being such an arsehole. I may be forced to accept his existence, but I still wouldn't follow him.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see
04-09-2011, 02:30 PM
spaghetti.

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through´╗┐ on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
04-09-2011, 04:46 PM
God made me this way.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan