One sentence for why you are an Atheist . . .

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2011, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2011 06:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: One sentence for why you are an Atheist . . .
Because the promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is not only completely untenable, it is delusional bullshit designed to dissuade, persuade and ultimately control, or at least corral, the naive.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Any God who would create such a broken world and then do nothing to help mitigate earthly suffering is not deserving of anyone's worship.

As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods;
They kill us for their sport.
- Shakespeare's King Lear
04-09-2011, 12:28 AM

Everyone's using quotes, I'll go for Douglas Adams. "Isn't it enough to think a garden is beautiful, without imagining that there are faeries at the bottom of it?"

I remember going on a date a few months ago, and I always tried to get the atheist thing out there early. It can be a dealbreaker for some people. The woman said "So you don't believe in anything that you don't have evidence for?" What a strange question? I really don't know on what other basis I would believe something to be true.
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2011, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2011 08:38 AM by Joe Bloe.)
(03-09-2011 02:15 PM)free2011 Wrote:  
(03-09-2011 06:20 AM)Joe Bloe Wrote:  I don't believe in God.

Okay how about "Why don't you believe in God?"

I wasn't being flippant. I have never believed in god.

I went to Sunday School for eight years starting when I was four, and not once did I ever think there might be a chance that god existed ... and that with a threat of hellfire and damnation hanging over me (but then I didn't believe in hell either!).

By definition, I am an atheist - because I don't believe in god.

Edit:
I suppose I could add that I don't believe in god because I see no evidence for his existence, but there is more to it than that. If I was presented with a large amount of evidence that seemed to prove god's existence, I would assume that it has been faked, so I still wouldn't believe.

And if god himself appeared before me and it was conclusively proved that he did exist, I would punch him on the nose for being such an arsehole. I may be forced to accept his existence, but I still wouldn't follow him.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see
04-09-2011, 02:30 PM
spaghetti.

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through´╗┐ on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
04-09-2011, 04:46 PM
God made me this way.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan