One thing I don't understand about this resurrection crap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 07:38 AM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2014 07:41 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: One thing I don't understand about this resurrection crap
(14-02-2014 07:08 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 07:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  That's what I don't understand. They say God hates me ... and then that he loves me? It makes no fucking sense.
That straw man makes no sense. However, the Bible doesn't say that god hates you. When a judge passes sentence on a crime, he doesn't necessarily hate the criminal. I once read an account of a man investigating a murder who came to believe his own son did it. He confronted the son and the son confessed. The father turned the son in. Does that necessarily mean the father hated the son?

If the cop raised his son in an elaborate simulation where his son was incapable of not murdering the man, and if the son didn't confess that it was entirely his fault then the cop would douse his son in gasoline and light him on fire because he didn't confess and accept responsibility for things entirely out of his control? Then your analogy would be accurate.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
14-02-2014, 07:59 AM
(23-01-2014 07:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  That's what I don't understand. They say God hates me ... and then that he loves me? It makes no fucking sense.

He hates you because you aren't kissing his ass. Once you get started on that he loves you, so long as you don't stop.
14-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Yeah, the Bible doesn't technically say the words "God hates you". It just lays out a punishment system where you get punished for infinity years based on the things you did during your 80 years here. Because God is just or something. It makes total sense.

Also, he doesn't "hate" the guy he's punishing because his great grandfather committed some transgression. Because God is just, or some shit.

So, stop using the word "hate". It's a strawman. A better representation would be "God is petty" or "God is capricious". But "hate" is a strawman, or something. Because [mysterious ways].
14-02-2014, 08:38 AM
(23-01-2014 07:17 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  So... If I fail to appease this "God" character, an all-powerful, all-good being, that means I'm the lowest form of worthlessness.

If I'm the lowest form of worthlessness, why should I be looking for a way out of this punishment that this all-powerful, all-good being has created for me?

If I'm the lowest form of worthlessnss, surely I am deserving of infinite torture...

The question should be, why would anyone ever accept that they are the lowest form of worthlessness simply for being born without any evidence? If there is no evidence then it is just an arbitrary statement and you need not consider it.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
14-02-2014, 08:47 AM
It is especially scarey to teach young children that they are broken, unworthy, or fall short of goodness. Why? Why would you want your kid to think these thoughts are true during those developmental years? This would only cement the need for this tyrant in heaven, to which the parents deflect these negative judgments onto so they come off squeaky clean. I never was exposed to that phsychological trickery growing up and could not imagine my parents playing those games with my curious mind.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
14-02-2014, 10:22 AM
(23-01-2014 08:41 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

A lot of these contradictory ideas wreak of double-speak.
  • God loves you so much he created hell in case you don't love him back.
  • Trust in God that he will take care of you, yet do not test God.
  • God will provide everything you need, but if you do not work, you shall not eat.
  • God is simultaneously three entities and only one entity.
  • God's mercy knows no bounds, and he will punish the transgressions of one man for generations.

This is the side effect of combining a series of bronze-age beliefs for the purpose of unifying a group of people, and then piggy-backing an entirely different religion on top of it.

Sounds like the ultimate jealous spouse...

Atir aissom atir imon
14-02-2014, 11:34 AM
(14-02-2014 10:22 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Sounds like the ultimate jealous spouse...

Are you saying he's... overly attached?

[Image: overly_attached_computer.jpg]
14-02-2014, 11:43 AM
(14-02-2014 11:34 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 10:22 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Sounds like the ultimate jealous spouse...

Are you saying he's... overly attached?

[Image: overly_attached_computer.jpg]

Actually yes, that was exactly what I was thinking. I just couldn't think of the meme for some reason Laugh out load

Atir aissom atir imon
14-02-2014, 12:48 PM
(14-02-2014 07:08 AM)alpha male Wrote:  That straw man makes no sense. However, the Bible doesn't say that god hates you. When a judge passes sentence on a crime, he doesn't necessarily hate the criminal. I once read an account of a man investigating a murder who came to believe his own son did it. He confronted the son and the son confessed. The father turned the son in. Does that necessarily mean the father hated the son?

While I agree that the OP may have been straw manning the mythological story a bit, your analogies of the judge or the father turning in his son, do not hold up.

Neither the judge or the father are condoning infinite punishment for a finite crime.

I would submit, that anyone that does believe that someone deserves infinite punishment for a finite crime, does indeed hate the person.
14-02-2014, 01:22 PM
(14-02-2014 12:48 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  While I agree that the OP may have been straw manning the mythological story a bit, your analogies of the judge or the father turning in his son, do not hold up.

Neither the judge or the father are condoning infinite punishment for a finite crime.

I would submit, that anyone that does believe that someone deserves infinite punishment for a finite crime, does indeed hate the person.
Do you think people stop sinning in hell?