One thing I noticed about the Witnesses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2014, 08:59 PM
One thing I noticed about the Witnesses
So I was prompted by Chas to post this.

So, over the past year or so being on here, I've seen a few threads about others experiences about the Witnesses. One thing I noticed is that there are different styles within each congregation. It doesn't only depend solely on the family.

This is just my personal experience.

The congregations act as their own units, separated by times and locations of worship. There is a brother who would be considered a Circuit Overseer. This person would go to each congregation that was in his allotted area, and visit for a week.

That was where extra curricular teachings took place. People of the congregation ate up whatever the guy would say. In my congregation, YEC was taught by a circuit overseer. It was explained that calculated, all the way down to the first man, the earth was only 6000 years old.

At this point other ex witnesses might go "WUT?". That's cool. Not every congregation gets taught the same. Certain districts take better to certain teachings then others.

From my experience, that's how any modifications of teachings the Governing Body wanted to test took place.

They pushed it as far as detailing (but not giving out names) the kidnapping of a child from a hospital with leukemia and bringing her to die in Mexico, even after there was a court order for her to remain under custody of the hospital staff. This didn't take too well. A few families left due to that and they cut the crap out. It probably had to do with how they disregarded completely the commandment given by Jesus about "Give to Ceasar to Ceasar and to God to God". It was explained when I was a kid, you follow the laws of the land first, as you need to keep yourself looking good both in their eyes and the eyes of Jehobah.

It's an ever evolving cult. It's not done changing. They've only just started to ramp things up, like presenting a completely different WatchTower than what their actual followers receive. The Awake has been watered down too quite a bit. They're nearly pamphlets at this point.

My point in this thread is to say that even though the Witnesses claim to be a religion with a common purpose, a common goal, a common belief, they're not all taught the same bullshit. Just different flavours.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
16-01-2014, 10:53 PM
RE: One thing I noticed about the Witnesses
This doesn't surprise me. It sounds pretty universal, actually.

If my mom doesn't like one priest's opinion at one congregation, she goes to ask another's advice.

Same-same.
17-01-2014, 12:39 AM
[Image: end-of-the-world.jpg]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-01-2014, 01:11 AM
[Image: not-sure-if-end-of-the-world.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 8 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-01-2014, 07:41 AM
(16-01-2014 10:53 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  This doesn't surprise me. It sounds pretty universal, actually.

If my mom doesn't like one priest's opinion at one congregation, she goes to ask another's advice.

Same-same.

Wait. People employ confirmation bias when dealing with their religious beliefs?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
18-01-2014, 06:52 AM
After doing some reading on SD I have come to the realization that the Catholic community I grew up in is vastly different. I suppose I thought that all Catholics basically followed the same doctrines...wow, was I wrong.

I think it's likely that in all the different flavors of Christianity there are variations from the slight to the extreme.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
18-01-2014, 07:04 AM
They are treated so badly by most people here, that I keep being friendly to them and engage them in conversations and offer them tea.

Weirdly, they stopped coming by because of that.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]