One thing that a theist taught me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2013, 07:03 AM
One thing that a theist taught me
My school is conducting a large scale brainwash again called "godspell week". I (somehow) bravely stepped in the hall in a lunch time shaharing section. I questioned (friendly tones only. Nothing real harsh) some christians about the problem of evil without getting any satisfying ansewers before I was "led away" by a teacher and he told me that asking christians that young questions that is this hard is a waste of time since most of them (95% according to him) are beliving christianity with emotions rather than logic. Thus I would be asking the wrong people for these questions.
Maybe he is right after all.

I got Dysgraphia and i am not living in the US so plz forgive my poor english.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2013, 07:08 AM
RE: One thing that a theist taught me
(21-11-2013 07:03 AM)bustead Wrote:  My school is conducting a large scale brainwash again called "godspell week". I (somehow) bravely stepped in the hall in a lunch time shaharing section. I questioned (friendly tones only. Nothing real harsh) some christians about the problem of evil without getting any satisfying ansewers before I was "led away" by a teacher and he told me that asking christians that young questions that is this hard is a waste of time since most of them (95% according to him) are beliving christianity with emotions rather than logic. Thus I would be asking the wrong people for these questions.

My response would be that if they're too young for that, they're too young for Christianity.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
21-11-2013, 07:15 AM
(21-11-2013 07:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 07:03 AM)bustead Wrote:  My school is conducting a large scale brainwash again called "godspell week". I (somehow) bravely stepped in the hall in a lunch time shaharing section. I questioned (friendly tones only. Nothing real harsh) some christians about the problem of evil without getting any satisfying ansewers before I was "led away" by a teacher and he told me that asking christians that young questions that is this hard is a waste of time since most of them (95% according to him) are beliving christianity with emotions rather than logic. Thus I would be asking the wrong people for these questions.

My response would be that if they're too young for that, they're too young for Christianity.

I second the motion.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
21-11-2013, 07:15 AM
Nah! Children are never too young to be lied to.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Methinks your "Theist" is wearing a lamb skin suit.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
21-11-2013, 08:02 AM

Maybe he is right.

I emphasize--the power of Christianity is not in our faith but in its truth.
21-11-2013, 08:22 AM
... which is not able to be comprehended or accepted without faith. Right[1]?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
21-11-2013, 08:44 AM
(21-11-2013 08:02 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  

Maybe he is right.

I emphasize--the power of Christianity is not in our faith but in its truth.

Bare assertion, still no evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2013, 09:02 AM
(21-11-2013 07:03 AM)bustead Wrote:  My school is conducting a large scale brainwash again called "godspell week". I (somehow) bravely stepped in the hall in a lunch time sharing section. I questioned some christians about the problem of evil without getting any satisfying ansewers
You don't mention here the ages of the "christians" you questioned. That would help a bit.

Quote: before I was "led away" by a teacher and he told me that asking christians that young questions that is this hard is a waste of time since most of them (95% according to him) are beliving christianity with emotions rather than logic. Thus I would be asking the wrong people for these questions.

Well. let's see. From infanthood, most US kids (hmmm...perhaps I can't even say that anymore)....are "taught" by their parent(s) all about belief in Santa, Easter Bunny and some sort of Tooth Faerie...and if in a christain household...all sorts of other myths as well.
At what point do these youth begin to really question the truth and verifiability of these myths? I really don't know. For some...soon; for others much much later.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes RaisdCath's post
21-11-2013, 09:15 AM
The majority of "Christians" are indoctrinated and have no clue what Christianity entails besides the stories they hear in church.

77% of Christians don't read the Bible on a regular basis and just 20-25% of Christians have read the entire Bible.

These are disturbing facts for Christianity as a whole.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post