One thing that confuses me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2010, 09:25 PM

One thing that confuses me...
I was once told by a pastor that it takes more faith to be an Atheist than it does to be a Christian...

Now, how would that be so when I do not believe in anything period? And how do Theists come up with this argument?
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2010, 10:47 PM
RE: One thing that confuses me...
Inherently, no, it takes absolutely no faith to be an atheist. Technologically speaking, a rock is an atheist(Does it believe in god?), and rocks don't have any faith(or beliefs). However, an atheist can have some pretty far-out believes, just so long as they don't include a god, in which case an atheist may have more faith than a Christian.

Semantics and technicalities aside, The point being said there is that to say there is no god takes more faith than to say there is. Flaw number one, most atheists don't say that there definitively isn't a god, just that there probably isn't a god. This is false of course, I don't think I need to go into detail as to why. Even if we definitively said there is no god, I'm pretty sure we would still have less faith than those saying there definitively is a god. Probably still less faith than those saying that there is probably a god.

And I don't believe I've yet welcomed you, so welcome.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2010, 11:06 PM
(05-06-2010 09:25 PM)Stanly Wrote:  I was once told by a pastor that it takes more faith to be an Atheist than it does to be a Christian...

Now, how would that be so when I do not believe in anything period?

It wouldn't. It's false.

Quote:And how do Theists come up with this argument?

Essentially, they say that atheism is just as much a religion as theism. It boils down to "Atheists believe that there isn't a god, which, because the universe exists and everything looks designed, must take more faith than believing in a god."
It's bollocks.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
06-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Atheist look at the facts and evidence. While theist take a blind allegiance and rely on wild imagenings. It takes way more faith to be a theist.
06-06-2010, 08:33 PM

(06-06-2010 05:58 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Atheist look at the facts and evidence. While theist take a blind allegiance and rely on wild imagenings. It takes way more faith to be a theist.

That's exactly why this argument puzzles me, and a Theist would have to insanely stupid to use it against an Atheist.
07-06-2010, 05:08 AM

If I ever were faced with this type of challenge, I would simply state 'I have tangible faith in humanity, that we'll all come around one day and learn to respect and love one another'.

Have faith in that which you will see the result. Having faith in an imaginary friend is akin to throwing a penny into a wishing well and hoping your wish comes true.