One way trip to Mars...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2012, 12:13 AM
RE: One way trip to Mars...
If I wasn't married, I would go in a heartbeat. As long as I could bring my 2 birds of course. That would be epic, first parrots on mars.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2012, 01:59 AM
(25-07-2012 12:01 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Nope. Insane fear of being pulled out into space and floating through a massive blackness until starvation/suffocation takes hold. Plus I like earth. It's purty.

I think that would add to the awesomeness. Why not see space first hand before you rot away forever.
01-08-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm with LJ and Luc on this. Leave it to the crazies who don't have a family or plan to start a family.

We do need some people to do this and there will be plenty of volunteers. Privatising the space industry is the best thing that has happened. Imagine if private companies become the first to mine asteroids and start making massive profits. NASA, Government and Co will be up in arms... "we need to stop these bastards raking in the money"

Liking the reality show idea. One way trip is the only practical way at the momment. The main issue will be passing through the van-allen belt and dealing with radiation while on Mars or while on the way.

A solar flare could kill everyone in the craft.

They should bring some basic mining equipment so they can dig homes inside the rock where it's safe from radiation. Solar panels and a nice big nuclear reactor with plenty of juice.

I heard that if we managed to dig deep enough the air down there would thick enough to breathe. That might not be practical for the first colony.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
02-08-2012, 07:17 AM
(01-08-2012 11:04 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm with LJ and Luc on this. Leave it to the crazies who don't have a family or plan to start a family.

We do need some people to do this and there will be plenty of volunteers. Privatising the space industry is the best thing that has happened. Imagine if private companies become the first to mine asteroids and start making massive profits. NASA, Government and Co will be up in arms... "we need to stop these bastards raking in the money"

Liking the reality show idea. One way trip is the only practical way at the momment. The main issue will be passing through the van-allen belt and dealing with radiation while on Mars or while on the way.

A solar flare could kill everyone in the craft.

They should bring some basic mining equipment so they can dig homes inside the rock where it's safe from radiation. Solar panels and a nice big nuclear reactor with plenty of juice.

I heard that if we managed to dig deep enough the air down there would thick enough to breathe. That might not be practical for the first colony.

You might enjoy the Mars Trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars) by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-08-2012, 08:36 PM
I would do it, on a few conditions.
Number one would be, I name the base after Carl Sagan.
Also I would like to bring something similar to the Voyager plaque. Also a telescope so I could see the stars from a different perspective. Then devotion to science until I die.
First grave on Mars, who will bury me?

No Gods Or Kings. Only Man.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EuclidsParadox?feature=mhee
14-08-2012, 12:13 AM
I have doubts it will get off the ground. I've never heard of a reality show capable of pulling in 6 billion dollars. It would have to be one of the most popular shows on TV.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss