Online conversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2016, 03:59 PM
RE: Online conversion
(03-07-2016 02:39 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 01:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ...
My son now almost exclusively uses the metric system and he uses Celsius too.

Fucking kids, we should be weighing shit with stones like they do it in Britain. Where do these kids think we are, Canada?

Water should freeze at 0 not 32 and boil at 100 not 212.

And yet it does both Consider

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-07-2016, 04:25 PM
I never did get the hang of doing F-to-C conversion, so I just stopped using F as much as possible. My weather apps show me centigrade. I have some benchmarks that guide me: 0 and 100 of course we all know. 37 is body temp. 21 +/- 5 is a comfortable outside temp for me, which happens around 4am to sunrise in Austin in the summer. My kid has a good handle on centigrade temps now too, which I think is very nifty.
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
03-07-2016, 04:55 PM
I think European men just like the metric system, so they can brag about their big 10 centimeters.....................

In the US, when you tell her you're packing 10 --- the ladies pay attention......

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-07-2016, 06:06 PM
LOL... the Americans can't even spell the metric unit. They use meter (an instrument used for measuring something) instead of metre, the SI unit that the remainder of the world uses.

Ask the average American (in their head) to multiply 4-15/16" by 4" and laugh at their confusion. —Unsure Ask anybody else to multiply 120 by 100 and have the answer in 5 seconds flat.

Australia changed to metric more than 40 years ago; it's really time the seppos caught up. Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
04-07-2016, 12:11 AM
(03-07-2016 06:06 PM)SYZ Wrote:  LOL... the Americans can't even spell the metric unit. They use meter (an instrument used for measuring something) instead of metre, the SI unit that the remainder of the world uses.

Ask the average American (in their head) to multiply 4-15/16" by 4" and laugh at their confusion. —Unsure Ask anybody else to multiply 120 by 100 and have the answer in 5 seconds flat.

Australia changed to metric more than 40 years ago; it's really time the seppos caught up. Big Grin

Actually, most of our scientific community already uses it, as does our military.

The soldiers refer to distance they must travel as "klicks", shorthand for "kilometers". The M-16 is a 5.56mm bullet, not a .223 inch bullet (as the round is called in civilian circles)... an exception being the retention of ".50 caliber" (meaning half inch diameter) for the M2 heavy machinegun from WW1, which is a 12.7 mm weapon. It's a mish-mash, though, since we still call bombs by pounds... 500-, 750-, 1000-, and 2000-pound bombs are standard "iron bomb" sizes.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the USA has to be so much different from the rest of the planet, in nearly every measurable category. (Yes, pun intended.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
04-07-2016, 06:28 AM
(04-07-2016 12:11 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I can't for the life of me figure out why the USA has to be so much different from the rest of the planet, in nearly every measurable category. (Yes, pun intended.)

The US always goes the extra mile.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
04-07-2016, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2016 06:53 AM by JDog554.)
(03-07-2016 06:06 PM)SYZ Wrote:  LOL... the Americans can't even spell the metric unit. They use meter (an instrument used for measuring something) instead of metre, the SI unit that the remainder of the world uses.

Words can have different spellings and definitions you know, just because you use it doesn't mean it's the only correct one. It's arbitrary. They both do what they need to do so who cares. Get off your high horse.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
06-07-2016, 03:05 PM
(04-07-2016 06:36 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Words can have different spellings and definitions you know, just because you use it doesn't mean it's the only correct one. It's arbitrary. They both do what they need to do so who cares. Get off your high horse.

It's definitely not arbitrary—as you claim. The use of the word "metre" as it's spelled is defined as per the International System of Units (SI). Metre is the standard spelling of the metric unit for length in all English-speaking nations except the USA, which uses meter. The only other remaining countries still using the Imperial system are Myanmar and Liberia. LOL.

The most recent official document about the International System of Units, from the French Bureau international des poids et mesures (BIPM) uses the spelling metre; the English translation which is intended to make the SI units "more widely accessible" also uses the spelling metre.

It invariably amuses me—and the rest of the world—that Americans get so hot and bothered whenever someone outside their borders is presumed to have criticised them. Thin skins? Or delusions of grandeur? Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
06-07-2016, 03:34 PM
(06-07-2016 03:05 PM)‘SYZ Wrote:  It invariably amuses me—and the rest of the world—that Americans get so hot and bothered whenever someone outside their borders is presumed to have criticised them. Thin skins? Or delusions of grandeur? Big Grin

Why not both? Smile

We’re special that way.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
06-07-2016, 03:34 PM
(06-07-2016 03:05 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 06:36 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Words can have different spellings and definitions you know, just because you use it doesn't mean it's the only correct one. It's arbitrary. They both do what they need to do so who cares. Get off your high horse.

It's definitely not arbitrary—as you claim. The use of the word "metre" as it's spelled is defined as per the International System of Units (SI). Metre is the standard spelling of the metric unit for length in all English-speaking nations except the USA, which uses meter. The only other remaining countries still using the Imperial system are Myanmar and Liberia. LOL.

The most recent official document about the International System of Units, from the French Bureau international des poids et mesures (BIPM) uses the spelling metre; the English translation which is intended to make the SI units "more widely accessible" also uses the spelling metre.

It invariably amuses me—and the rest of the world—that Americans get so hot and bothered whenever someone outside their borders is presumed to have criticised them. Thin skins? Or delusions of grandeur? Big Grin

To be fair. It's not just the US. Britain also still uses miles and crazy units like stones for measuring weight.

Science & tech are metric. For the rest, I am sure you will agree it makes no sense to use SI units where the public cannot easily relate them. Old habits. Personally I prefer a complete shift; the initial pain will be offset by the benefits.

The beef for me is not limited to just the system. Even in the current system, the choice of some units drives me crazy. It leaves a blank when someone gives me the height of a mountain or altitude in feet. It's easier for me to visualize if the distance is given in yards(or meters for that matter). Anything more than 6 feet, confuses me when feet are used. I have to mentally convert it to yards, dividing by three; in some cases I just give up if it's not a matter of life and death.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg