Online piracy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2014, 04:11 AM
Online piracy
I believe downloading movies, TV and music online for free is not entirely unethcial - discuss Smile

** Jingo Planet **
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2014, 04:26 AM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2014 12:02 PM by DLJ.)
RE: Online piracy
I consider it to be theft. So, I don't do it.

The same goes for games or any other artistic output.

If there were mechanisms in place which the artists (physical and graphical) and associated engineers, costume designers etc. are appropriately rewarded for their talent and labour, I would not have a problem with these things being free at the point of consumption.

Drinking Beverage

ps, I do not have a problem with knock-off designer clothes because the fashion (and cosmetics and jewelry, for that matter) industry is an evolutionary wrong-turn that has no benefit for humanity... and the designers are a bunch of pretentious cunts.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
19-06-2014, 06:07 AM
Its theft, I justify it by convincing myself I would not have paid for it anyway, I will not pirate games unless I've already paid and can't get past the DRM hurdles.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
19-06-2014, 06:21 AM
If it wasn't for piracy, I wouldn't have heard about many artists, which means I wouldn't have bought anything by them anyway.

This is how it works, if you like it, you buy it. If you're not the buying type, you wouldn't buy it even if you couldn't download it. That's how simple it is.

Given my financial situation right now, I shouldn't be listening to any music or playing any games right now. I'm not gonna work my ass off just so I can buy one game and listen to one album. Some of us don't have money and artists should conform to that. If they can't bother, then they deserve this.
Not to mention that music artists mainly make money out of concerts and not out of the albums they sell.

I did buy a game that cost 4$ recently. I also buy books instead of downloading them because I can find them for 1$.

There's a fucking crisis for fuck's sake, you can't expect to make your "music" and offer your "talent" and get rich. Yeah, I'd love to make money out of my dream job but that's just not realistic. Better do it as a hobby and find a proper job.

Welcome to reality.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
19-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Market failures clearly exist in some areas of media at the moment in the world, an piracy is one response to those failures. However, I strongly prefer to consume media produced by different markets. I mostly watch YouTube, for example.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
19-06-2014, 10:32 AM
I think mucicians should get their money from live performances, not selling music cds. That's why i pirate music. I think actors,directors,script writers,etc. Should get their money from when it hits the cinemas and not by selling copies of the dvd. But i don't pirate movies. And i pirate games because i'm poor

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
19-06-2014, 10:56 AM
(19-06-2014 10:32 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  ...
And i pirate games because i'm poor

Wow! It's a modern day Les Misérables.

Sadcryface

19-06-2014, 11:04 AM
(19-06-2014 04:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ps, I do not have a problem with knock-off designer clothes because the fashion (and jewelry, for that matter) industry is an evolutionary wrong-turn that has no benefit for humanity... and the designers are a bunch of pretentious cunts.

Actually, I do have a problem with it, especially when it mimics a real product and made specifically to deceive. There's also the fake Rolex watches...perfume and a plethora of crap distributed just to deceive -- it's not like going to into an alley and finding a Rolex for $40...it's like paying what you think is decent discounted price.

Fashion designers often have a love/hate with knock offs. Women often want to copy a wedding gown someone famous has worn -- I think many find that flattering. The clothing industry in general is most accepting that watered down versions of their fashion week lines from two years prior finds its way to the wall marts and Targets of the world.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-06-2014, 11:10 AM
(19-06-2014 10:32 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  I think mucicians should get their money from live performances, not selling music cds. That's why i pirate music. I think actors,directors,script writers,etc. Should get their money from when it hits the cinemas and not by selling copies of the dvd. But i don't pirate movies. And i pirate games because i'm poor

Actually, musicians rarely make chunks of cash touring -- they tour to boost record sales where the bulk of their money comes from.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-06-2014, 03:21 PM
I believe that it is ethical to share information and the freeflow of information and knowledge will lead to higher spiritual enlightenment and understanding but greater knowledge ourselves, life, the universe and everything.

The entire universe is made out of copies of the same kinds of atoms as everything else in the universe. The Carbon atoms in me are the same as yours. Copies! They are just remixed different to make a different person and thing. Our bodies cells copy themselves all the time and that is why we live.

We exist because of the free flow of coping. When a new idea is created in a human mind. You just created something that never existed before. Share the idea and their mind makes a copy of it and it becomes more important and more powerful.

Therefore to hinder the freeflow of copying of any kind is unethical and goes against the very reason why we exist.

I support Online Copying.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post