Only 2 basic reasons for being a xtian?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Only 2 basic reasons for being a xtian?
I was thinking there are basically two reasons why someone would be a Christian (or whatever):

1. They were indoctrinated into it as a child (this would include the geographical/parental basis).
2. They had some personal experience or eureka moment (which, it seems, would still bring a person to the god of their particular geographical region, or the god they happen to already know something about).

When I imagine myself asking a person WHY they are a christian, these are the only two answers I can imagine.
I suppose you could argue people convert for marriage, but I wouldn't count that as true belief.
And I can't imagine that a person could become a xtian by doing an truly objective study of all religions and determining one is worth believing and all the others are false.

Am I missing something, or are these the only reasons people actually come to be Christian?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2012, 11:25 PM
RE: Only 2 basic reasons for being a xtian?
(04-05-2012 11:06 PM)socken Wrote:  I was thinking there are basically two reasons why someone would be a Christian (or whatever):

1. They were indoctrinated into it as a child (this would include the geographical/parental basis).
2. They had some personal experience or eureka moment (which, it seems, would still bring a person to the god of their particular geographical region, or the god they happen to already know something about).

When I imagine myself asking a person WHY they are a christian, these are the only two answers I can imagine.
I suppose you could argue people convert for marriage, but I wouldn't count that as true belief.
And I can't imagine that a person could become a xtian by doing an truly objective study of all religions and determining one is worth believing and all the others are false.

Am I missing something, or are these the only reasons people actually come to be Christian?

There's a third. They are afraid to admit their own impermanence and temporariness and Christianity gives them a lollipop to suck on.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-05-2012, 11:57 PM
(04-05-2012 11:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-05-2012 11:06 PM)socken Wrote:  I was thinking there are basically two reasons why someone would be a Christian (or whatever):

There's a third. They are afraid to admit their own impermanence and temporariness and Christianity gives them a lollipop to suck on.

I think you mean pacifier.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
04-05-2012, 11:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012 12:03 AM by GirlyMan.)
(04-05-2012 11:57 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(04-05-2012 11:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There's a third. They are afraid to admit their own impermanence and temporariness and Christianity gives them a lollipop to suck on.

I think you mean pacifier.

Yup, that's what I meant. ... But they get a free lollipop too.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
05-05-2012, 04:38 AM
There is also social pressure. If you're a non-believer in a society that is dominantly christian, especially from those who are "really preachy" there is a lot of pressure to go to church to show you're a "good person".... more recently I've been more vocal about my atheism, sharing it with family and friends when asked about it. What I've found is that the people who are very open minded are very accepting of it. Many of my friends have been totally cool with it as well.

I think some people actually don't realize there is another option.. I think some people don't understand anything different because they're around it so much they've got those crazy jesus goggles on.

In me sharing it with friends and family it's actually sparked some very good and in depth discussion with them and I think I may have even opened up a few minds through it.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
05-05-2012, 05:30 AM
(04-05-2012 11:06 PM)socken Wrote:  When I imagine myself asking a person WHY they are a christian, these are the only two answers I can imagine.

Because they are
dumb
sheep
Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-05-2012, 12:02 PM
My friend is a Christian, and he says the main reason why he believes in god, is because Jesus came down to earth and proved it.

He doesn't believe a single word of the old testament, is a evolutionary creationist, and his family rarely went to church so he wasn't really indoctrinated. I don't understand him really.
[+] 1 user Likes Magoo's post
06-05-2012, 02:01 PM
(05-05-2012 12:02 PM)Magoo Wrote:  My friend is a Christian, and he says the main reason why he believes in god, is because Jesus came down to earth and proved it.

He doesn't believe a single word of the old testament, is a evolutionary creationist, and his family rarely went to church so he wasn't really indoctrinated. I don't understand him really.
Wow. There's no consistency or evaluation or reason in any of that. Sounds like he hasn't thought about it at all. Thanks for your input.
06-05-2012, 02:43 PM
(06-05-2012 02:01 PM)socken Wrote:  
(05-05-2012 12:02 PM)Magoo Wrote:  My friend is a Christian, and he says the main reason why he believes in god, is because Jesus came down to earth and proved it.

Wow. There's no consistency or evaluation or reason in any of that. Sounds like he hasn't thought about it at all. Thanks for your input.

Ya he believes it because a tomb of Jesus remains, and tacitus wrote about Jesus. However, there is at least 5 apparent 'tombs of Jesus', and tacitus only wrote about Jesus being crucified and not any of his miracles.
07-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Well, at least he's an EC. He's got that going for him Smile

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]