Only Graduate the Faithful

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Only Graduate the Faithful
I'm not sure if I've ever seen a clearer call to action, this is uncalled for and out right insulting that it would be considered let alone proposed!

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...gh-school/

Talent hits the target no one else can hit, while genius hits the target no one knew existed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hennepin's post
26-01-2013, 02:12 PM
RE: Only Graduate the Faithful
(26-01-2013 01:45 PM)Hennepin Wrote:  I'm not sure if I've ever seen a clearer call to action, this is uncalled for and out right insulting that it would be considered let alone proposed!

So idiot Christians will be favoured over brilliant atheists who refuse to lie over their dedication.
Worse than burning the books!
26-01-2013, 02:24 PM
I don't think it matters. It is not like by saying those words as a non-believer you burst into flames and die. If you did, that might constitute proof of god. Just like all of our politicians saying the same thing and then being completely self serving and raping the tax payers whenever possible, you don't actually need to mean it.
26-01-2013, 02:30 PM
So help me God...

well, that's my out. There's no requirement to believe the shit, just to say it. IMO, that line invalidates the entire oath. Ergo, it means I can say the oath and break it without any guilt, because I asked the emptiness to help me keep it - and of course it didn't.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-01-2013, 02:36 PM
(26-01-2013 02:12 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(26-01-2013 01:45 PM)Hennepin Wrote:  I'm not sure if I've ever seen a clearer call to action, this is uncalled for and out right insulting that it would be considered let alone proposed!

So idiot Christians will be favoured over brilliant atheists who refuse to lie over their dedication.
Worse than burning the books!

If the atheists in question are really all the brilliant, they will know that they must say it anyway. Then go rinse with listerine.
26-01-2013, 02:53 PM
(26-01-2013 02:36 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(26-01-2013 02:12 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  So idiot Christians will be favoured over brilliant atheists who refuse to lie over their dedication.
Worse than burning the books
When I was studying Philosophy of Religion my atheistic essays were marked very harshly by the Christian lecturer.
I had to change my stance to get better marks by becoming a hypocrite.
The laws, in this instance, should not reflect a Christian bias!
26-01-2013, 02:53 PM
So that's why they have the highest drop out rate in the country. They are spending too much time on bull shit .

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes smidgen's post
26-01-2013, 03:03 PM
(26-01-2013 02:36 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(26-01-2013 02:12 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  

If the atheists in question are really all the brilliant, they will know that they must say it anyway. Then go rinse with listerine.

While I agree its only words, its a slippery slope to more "just words" type problems popping up. We have to start putting our foot down somewhere. This seems like one of those places.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
26-01-2013, 03:56 PM
(26-01-2013 03:03 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(26-01-2013 02:36 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  If the atheists in question are really all the brilliant, they will know that they must say it anyway. Then go rinse with listerine.
While I agree its only words, its a slippery slope to more "just words" type problems popping up. We have to start putting our foot down somewhere. This seems like one of those places.
It's not just words, it's a solemn oath. All US citizens should be outraged that such a thing can be proposed ! It goes completely against the concepts of freedom of thought and free speech. Not just the god bit at the end, but the entire oath : it's OK to expect someone to respect laws, but not to oblige them to think in a specified way. Why shouldn't someone be allowed to criticise the US Constitution ? Who gets to decide who is classified as an "enemy" and in what way are these kids supposed to "defend" the Constitution against them ?

It is definitely time to put your foot down !
[+] 2 users Like Idlecuriosity's post
26-01-2013, 04:16 PM
We as atheists (or even non-christians) should not have to lie to earn a secular degree.

Talent hits the target no one else can hit, while genius hits the target no one knew existed.
[+] 3 users Like Hennepin's post