Only Graduate the Faithful

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2013, 04:58 PM
RE: Only Graduate the Faithful
The whole idea of this is anti-American. This is a clear violation of the Constitution.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
26-01-2013, 05:37 PM
"If the atheists in question are really all the brilliant, they will know
that they must say it anyway. Then go rinse with listerine"

How would that work in other instances?

If the women being raped are really all the brilliant, they will know
that they must take it anyway. Then go douche with listerine.
26-01-2013, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2013 05:55 PM by Aseptic Skeptic.)
This sucks.

If I had to say that oath at graduation, I would have a conversation with my principal that might look like this:

Me: Do I have to say the oath?
P: Yep
Me: But I don't believe in god. I don't want to say that part because it's a lie.
P: Then you won't graduate.
Me: So I have to lie or never graduate? My choices are lie or have no future?
P: It's just words. You can say it regardless of whether you mean it.
Me: Cool. So the whole thing is just words that I can say without meaning? In fact, I can lie about the whole thing from start to finish?
P: That's not the point.
Me: But I can, right?
P: If that's how you feel, then yes, I guess you can.
Me: So if it's OK to lie about every word, and even the administrators don't really care if I mean this oath or not, why even bother making me or anyone else say it? It has no meaning, so why say it at all?

At which point, being a high school kid, I would be ignored and/or threatened until I submitted and said the damn oath.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
26-01-2013, 07:39 PM
The point is not that it's just words, it's that it's a violation of the constitution.

I wonder what they'd say if the kid was some wicca type and wanted to replace "god" with "goddess"? Or a theistic Satanist wanting to replace" God" with "satan?"

Sure it's words, but it's words no one should be forced to say to get a secular degree, ever, in a non-theocracy.

I agree that the atheist students would just have to say it anyway, but I think their parents and society in general should be outraged and not allow it.
26-01-2013, 08:36 PM
"The point is not that it's just words, it's that it's a violation of the constitution."

It's a violation against people. Words on paper can't be violated.
26-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Wait...

Most of those words are in the Oath of Enlistment for the US military (I served 6 years myself) all except the part about the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice)!

My conspiracy theory sense is tingling...a little bit...

Jesus loves you, but the Devil gives you cool shit.
27-01-2013, 12:24 AM
(26-01-2013 08:36 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  It's a violation against people. Words on paper can't be violated.
What if you had non-consensual sex with the paper?
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
27-01-2013, 01:29 AM
That was you watching me on my webcam???
27-01-2013, 01:57 AM
(26-01-2013 02:24 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I don't think it matters. It is not like by saying those words as a non-believer you burst into flames and die. If you did, that might constitute proof of god. Just like all of our politicians saying the same thing and then being completely self serving and raping the tax payers whenever possible, you don't actually need to mean it.

You missed the point there champ.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
27-01-2013, 09:01 AM
(26-01-2013 02:12 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  So idiot Christians will be favoured over brilliant atheists who refuse to lie over their dedication.

And that's America.

In high school this wouldn't have bothered me, but now I realize that allowing it not to bother you, is being part of the problem. It's extremely offensive and should be treated accordingly.

When it's bullshit, you have to call bullshit.

I watched the beginning of the presidential inauguration, and it was, in a similar way to this, a complete embarrassment, that made me sick to my stomach. As a human being, I couldn't see myself being put through something like that, in its entirety, and come out feeling like I had an ounce of virtue. I could kind of see how someone else could keep quiet through it and/or not just leave, but at a minimum, I would have to lose respect for such a person.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell