Only for people born around 1980

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Only for people born around 1980
This is for the "old" people here Big Grin

A little homage to how people my age grew up Smile
Simply some interesting and some fun facts.
You may add points to that list if you feel like it

# I went out to play on the field with my friend and our imagination was big enough to make a hill of dirt our fort and a stick would be bow and arrow (yes both at the same time)
# I had to be home when it starts getting dark (when the street lanterns turn on) and dinner was ready by that time.
# I had street fights and none of the parents would sue
# I did not have a TV / Computer / Gameboy in my room, instead I had a casette recorder
# When I came home with an open knee, a minor cut, anything of that sort my parents would put a plaster on it and even if something got infected we wouldn't go to the doctor but simply keep desinfecting it.
# I stayed at home alone lots of evenings.
# I didn't get sleep overs
# When I wanted to see a friend I had to finish homework first and it was the same with the other kids
# I had to do a lot of chores, and I had chores on a dayly basis
# I didn't get sweets
# I didn't get pocket money
# When I wanted something, I had to ask for it
# When I spoke ill my grandfather washed my mouth with soap (inside)
# I played in places that had stones and rods and broken glass and sticks and all kinds of dangerous things - and I learnt how to take care of myself in these places
# I had to go to church on sundays and holidays
# When I did something bad the news about it would be home before I was
# I got bullied at school and that made me learn how to hit back
# I had a pet (guineapig) that I had to take care of myself because I wanted to have it in the first place.
# I danced to Kelly Family and Backstreetboys like an idiot but I felt really cool for it
# I had posters of people on my walls that I found soooooo sexy and when I think back today I am like "wtf was I thinking?"
# In the teenymagazine of my country there were naked people, now guess what I had to check first everytime Wink I thought I was very weird for that Big Grin
# I painted my nails all in a different color and went to school like that because I thought that makes me cool
# I was out for longer than 7pm when I was 15. Had to be home by 10 and no second later

Oh all the things I felt so cool for Big Grin
# riding a unicycle
# juggling (with all kinds of things including a diabolo)
# learning and finally knowing braille
# being able to write backwards fluently
# My Kelly Family T-Shirt
# My Kelly Family Cassettes and CDs (I feel so old now)
# My purple and blue bike
# A dress that looked like 200 years ago
# being the pink power ranger when we played together
# singing in two choirs
# knowing classical music so well that I could make fun of my classmates with it

I was weird Big Grin
But I turned out just fine I think Smile

Anything to add from the weird and/or "old" people of this forum?

cheers

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
22-12-2011, 04:19 PM
RE: Only for people born around 1980
In. Your list has a lot of things that I'd post.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
22-12-2011, 04:30 PM
born 1975:

# I had record players, 8 tracks, and cassette recorders
# We had only 1 TV in our home until I was about 8 - 10
# Saturday morning was my morning for toons
# I would be gone all day long from the house playing in the woods
# When I was 10 - 12 I had my rambo knife and we cooked crawfish in the woods
# I used to bird hunt with my BB/Pellet rifle and we would truly cook the bigger birds
# I remember TV's with UHF/VHF dials, most channels were useless where I lived
# I was the TV remote and antenna turner person
# No remote controls for our TV's, Cell phones yeah right, wireless home phones were vary vary rare until I was close to my teens.
# Bicycles was my main mode of transportation, until I was around 9 I had a 3 wheeler but could only ride in woods or in the yard.
# I worked my ass off for money to buy new stuff
# Families actually spent time together
# I remember our first VCR and our first Microwave that were both huge
# I gathered and sold coke bottles for fair/carnival ride money

I could go on, these are just a few....I do miss those days, but I'm glad they are gone too Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
22-12-2011, 04:35 PM
#It took dad 3h to travel 200Km
#hot sun on the car seat burned my buttocks
#A computer? Son what do you want to do with THAT?
#...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
22-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Also a 1975 baby.

-I not only did not own a bicycle helmet, there was no such thing. Only bike racers wore them. And I never had a single aquaintance die from it either.
-There was no such thing as allowance. You do your chores or get your ass kicked. If you want to earn some money, you ask if there's anything EXTRA you can do after chores are done to earn it.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
22-12-2011, 04:46 PM
If I was "sucker punched" my father would go to his father and the other kid was punished. Or vise versa.

If it was a "good fight" where you would be called out by the other guy, like behind the school yard after school. These fights were usually pretty sad and quickly over, with one or two hits determining the winner. Then the only question my father would ask was did you win or lose?

When dealing with bullying I was taught "negotiate if you can, fight if you must".

There were 2 types of chores, the ones I was expected to do as a member of the family (which I got no allowance for), and the extra chores I volunteered for (which I would get paid allowance for). But I got no money for the voluntary chores if I did not first complete the expected chores.

My version of teenymagazine with naked people was called "National Geographic".

I first learned basic biology by watching the animals on our farm procreate, and then during the birthing process, especially when they required assistance (during the birthing process NOT the procreation process (stop laughing).

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." - Captain Jean Luc Picard

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Jean Luc Picard
[+] 5 users Like unsapien's post
22-12-2011, 05:00 PM
(22-12-2011 04:46 PM)unsapien Wrote:  (during the birthing process NOT the procreation process (stop laughing).
OMG...
can't...
sorry...
Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
22-12-2011, 05:32 PM
#I know what rusty barbed wire tastes like
#If a glass shard was sticking out of my precious pretty skin, I pulled it out and applied alcohol and plasters myself
#I kept having fist fights even when I had a broken arm. I was using the cast as a weapon.
#I knew how to play alone in the dirt with a regular stick I had found and other children wanted to joined me, or even wanted to trade something for my stick
# I made my own slingshot... and various devices which made a loud boom if you filled them up with matchstick heads
#I gut hurt and burned while using such devices to make the loud boom
#I broke my other arm, when I was around 10. I recognized the symptoms and I already knew the drill from the first time. I walked alone about 3 km to the nearest hospital, got it checked out, yup, broken, cast, and I was home before my parents came from work.
#... to be continued, I guess

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
23-12-2011, 03:00 AM
I was about 6 when we got a colour TV…
We had two channels to choose from.
I can remember getting a BMX bike, they where the latest thing!
(Latest thing; my parents didn’t have one when they where growing up)
As kids we could strap an air rifle to our backs and ride to a friends place and no one would care.
Pushbike helmets?
Our phones had a dial on them.
Cuts, abrasions, burns and bruises where ignored.
I was about ten the fist time I saw a computer.
I walked about 1 ½ miles to school. (I was lucky we lived close)
When I was old enough I got a job as a milk boy, we would deliver the milk to your gate.
(I dunno what the Occupational Health & Safety lot would say about a couple of twelve year old boys jumping off and on a moving truck carrying glass bottles, often in the rain, and dodging cars.)
Fireworks where cool!
Kissing was a big deal.
Arcade games; pac-man, space invaders & asteroids but they’d eat your money!
Some of the rich kids had little handheld arcade games brought in from exotic places like Australia or even America!
My Granddad had a car that was pre seatbelts, our car just had them in the front.
Going to “town” (Auckland) was just a huge thing.
Take-a-ways where a treat every now and then.

Fuck I’m old…

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Karl's post
23-12-2011, 05:12 AM
#I walked 3 km (one way) to school every day. Because it was the best school and at 6 I was old enough to walk alone across the city
#I walked that distance even when the temperature was -30 degrees Celsius. I was using my winter scarf to cover my mouth and nose and that was cool because I thought I looked like a ninja
#I played my first computer game on a room-size industrial computer which is now weaker than my i-pod
#If you wanted the latest shit in computer games you had to watch the science and technology program on the only TV channel we had and use a tape recorder to catch a brrrrrlbrlrlrlrrlrlrlrlrlrl sound which went on for minutes and came out of the TV speaker. You played the same sounds in your console computer and you could play the game... most of the time.
#Shouting in the telephone was considered normal behavior. In fact many times it was necessary so people did it all the time.
#Walking 1 km with 4 large bags of heavy groceries sounded reasonable.
#If your car broke down in the middle of the road (and it did), temporary solutions normally required a screwdriver, wrench, big hammer, pliers, bicycle air tube, wire or, from case to case, your wife's nylon pantyhose (to replace the radiator belt which broke a lot)
#Our version of the firecracker involved matchstick heads, a broken injector from an agricultural tractor motor, aluminium pipe, a long thin spring from a bicycle seat and a rusty bent nail..
#The olive green bag from a standard gas mask (issued during the cold war to the entire population) was considered to be a reasonable school bag.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post