Only for people born around 1980

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2011, 10:25 AM
RE: Only for people born around 1980
(23-12-2011 05:12 AM)Malleus Wrote:  #The olive green bag from a standard gas mask (issued during the cold war to the entire population) was considered to be a reasonable school bag.

Wow, seriously? I thought Americans were the paranoid ones during and after the Cold War. I've never seen gas masks as standard issue.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2011, 10:46 AM
There are a few explanations. The simplest one is that gas masks were not a humanitarian initiative, but people were forced by law to own a gas mask at their own expense *wink*. Second is that in those times Russia was large enough that, if you stood in some places in Romania you could spit far enough to reach Russian soil. I'm not sure how much it was about idiotic communist propaganda and how much about a huge stock of gas masks prepared for WWII that nobody wanted so they forced the population to buy them.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
23-12-2011, 11:08 AM
(23-12-2011 10:46 AM)Malleus Wrote:  There are a few explanations. The simplest one is that gas masks were not a humanitarian initiative, but people were forced by law to own a gas mask at their own expense *wink*. Second is that in those times Russia was large enough that, if you stood in some places in Romania you could spit far enough to reach Russian soil. I'm not sure how much it was about idiotic communist propaganda and how much about a huge stock of gas masks prepared for WWII that nobody wanted so they forced the population to buy them.

Ah...put that way, it's an excellent example of capitalism in action! As an American I must approve of this practice. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
23-12-2011, 06:08 PM
adding just a few more points that I thought about today

# We got dressed really nice on sundays but I went to play as always and brought the sundaydress home muddy and bloody
# I used to be outside playing with friends without telling my mom where I go and so did my friends and we all got home in one piece.
# I ate berries that I found in the forest or wherever I was and actually knew their names and what they have to look like to be ok to eat.
# My granddad and my dad both took me fishing and we actually ate what we caught, it was not just a sport
# I would sit in the forest with a friend and just sharpen sticks to see who is doing better with the pocket knife
# Most kids had a pocket knife
# No kids cut their fingers off with their pocket knifes
# When I was older, teenager I actually read BOOKS
# I went to the library to do research for school

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post