Only the Agnostic gets to smirk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2013, 12:54 AM
RE: Only the Agnostic gets to smirk
(20-08-2013 11:11 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Really I think there should be a third category... those who simply don't concern themselves with the matter either way, and ignore religion as a whole.

Apatheism.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2013, 01:25 PM
(20-08-2013 05:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The chance there is a god is so tiny and insignificant that to even acknowledge that there is a percentage chance God exists, is fucking stupid and retarded.

Well Aren't you a ray of sunshine. No
22-08-2013, 02:37 PM
(22-08-2013 01:25 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 05:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The chance there is a god is so tiny and insignificant that to even acknowledge that there is a percentage chance God exists, is fucking stupid and retarded.

Well Aren't you a ray of sunshine. No

The ray-of-sunshine-that-burns-through-bullshit-while-uttering-profanities...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-08-2013, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2013 07:46 PM by Starcrash.)
(20-08-2013 05:59 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  There is a difference between an unanswerable question and a law of physics (Gravity) which can be tested. Atheists believe that there is no such thing as a Supreme Consciousness or Supreme Being. Theists believe that there is a Supreme Consciousness. Both groups are unshakeable in their BELIEF.

Why do you keep asserting that "atheists believe..." (fill in the blank)? While an atheist can include someone who "disbelieves in gods", it can also describe someone who simply lacks a positive belief in gods. Many of us atheists fit in this category -- we don't hold any certainty that there is no god, but rather we don't believe in a god. It's like your belief in "tamifs" (a word I made up for this thought experiment). Because you don't know what it is (because I made it up), you can't say for sure that it doesn't exist, but you also can't say for sure that it exists. You may have evidence one way or the other (such as disbelief based on my insistence that I made it up), but you could be persuaded that tamifs existed if you had better evidence (after all, I could have coincidentally picked something that does exist). Theists are people who believe in a god (by definition), but atheists simply include people who don't hold a belief in god (much like your view of tamifs, we haven't necessarily chosen a firm disbelief).

Furthermore, you have this false idea that a belief for or against a god must be "unshakeable". We call this stubbornness "dogmatism". Some people are dogmatic, both in their belief of a god and their disbelief, but people who hold beliefs aren't necessarily dogmatic. Although it's ironic that you, despite being presented with evidence that atheism doesn't mean what you think it means, still stick to your views. We might fairly call this a dogmatic belief. Atheists ought to know better than you do what atheism is. Do you think that we atheists know what Buddhism is better than you do?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
22-08-2013, 10:55 PM
The thing is...

When it comes to evidence, things that don't exist, can't leave any evidence... because, (no shit Sherlock) they don't exist.

So the fact there is no evidence that God doesn't exist cannot be taken as evidence of his existence... the fact that I don't have anything that proves I don't own a Ferrari, doesn't count as evidence that I do own one.

Damn I love logic...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user