Onnit supplements: real science, or woo?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Onnit supplements: real science, or woo?
I listen to Neil DeGrasse Tyson's podcast Star Talk. He's been promoting these Onnit Supplements. They boast an increase in lucid dreaming, mental drive, focus, and mental acuity.

This all sounds terribly woo to me. I'd really hate to think NDT would promote something like that though. I did some googling, couldn't find much in the way of debunking.

I keep seeing that a lot of top notch athletes endorse it, but that does nothing for me. A lot of athletes endorsed power bands also Dodgy

Anyone have any idea if this stuff can really do what it claims? They do provide a list of ingredients if you click on the "learn more" button.

https://www.onnit.com/supplements/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2013, 06:46 PM
RE: Onnit supplements: real science, or woo?
For what it's worth.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/alph...-industry/

Also keep in mind that NDT isn't a medical professional, as much as we'd love him to be the ultra-skeptic we think of him as, he's still a dude susceptible to sensational claims. He might be getting some benefit from it, of course with a brain as big as his it would be hard to tell just how much it's helping.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
17-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Other than the AC-11 which I've never heard of, it's pretty standard nootropic fare. At over $1.00 a pill it's rather expensive. I've experimented with various racetams as nootropics but never noticed anything from them. Think I'm gonna run a course of hydergine next, the square, non-psychedelic sister of LSD. Unlike his "problem child" which he only took occasionally, the Prophet Hofmann reportedly took this regularly and died fully lucid at the ripe old age of 102.

You're probably better off researching nootropics yourself and experimenting with different ones to see if you notice any effect. Just my $0.02.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Damn you NDT! I don't wanna hear about pseudoscience in a science podcast!

Thank you for the link! An article from one of my favorite skeptics no less Thumbsup
22-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Supplements should always be considered on a per herb/vitamin/whatever individual basis.

Cranberries might be good for you....but I doubt you'd meet a dietician who recommends less than 1/64th a teaspoon a day of it. Wink

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
22-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Public figures need to be held responsible for their influence.
If there is no double blind test evidence for this shit to work as claimed then NDT is a douchbag endorsement whore IMHO.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-12-2013, 08:57 PM
(22-12-2013 08:52 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Public figures need to be held responsible for their influence.
If there is no double blind test evidence for this shit to work as claimed then NDT is a douchbag endorsement whore IMHO.

Yeah, I think it may have something to do with his friendship with Joe Rogan, who seems to have money invested in the product or something. Dodgy
22-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Lot of interweb debates over this, a positive sign for rationalism

The same theme comes up,
X is inferred by some obtuse study to benefit Y.
Product Z contains some X therefore is already proven to be good for Y.
Add human greed and anecdotal me too flock behaviour = onnit

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
23-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Ordered some hydergine and piracetam from BioGenesis AntiAging in morondog's neck of the woods. Neither are classified as controlled substances in the US so I don't expect there to be any issues clearing US Customs.

(22-12-2013 08:57 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Yeah, I think it may have something to do with his friendship with Joe Rogan, who seems to have money invested in the product or something. Dodgy

If Joe Rogan's in the picture it may be worth a second look. They might've thrown a little DMT in there just for good measure. Tongue

Breathing - it's more art than science.
26-12-2013, 04:15 PM
I have piracetam. It's dirt cheap and safer than table salt. It's almost impossible to die from overdose.

It will give you a headache and thats about all.

1. Gouliaev, A. & Senning, A, (1994) “Piracetam and other structurally related nootropics” Brain Res Rev 19, 180-222. Wrote:Piracetam failed to achieve an LD50 when given to rats intravenously at 8gm/kg bodyweight. (1) Similarly, oral LD50 studies in mice, rats, and dogs given 10gm Piracetam/kg bodyweight also produced no LD50! (1) This would he mathematically equivalent to giving a 70 kg (154 pound) person 700gm (1.54 pounds) of Piracetam! As Tacconi and Wurtman note, ”Piracetam apparently is virtually non-toxic. Rats treated chronically with 100 to 1,000 mg/kg orally for 6 months and dogs treated with as much as 10g/kg orally for 1 year did not show any toxic effect. No teratogenic (birth deformity) effects were found, nor was behavioral tolerance noted.” (22) Thus, Piracetam must be considered one of the toxicologically safest drugs ever developed.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss