Ontology of belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Big Grin RE: Ontology of belief
(02-05-2014 04:22 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'll quote Bucky's brilliant post here just in case you forgot about it.

I love Alan Shore (James Spader) doing word salad on Boston Legal. 1:00 - 2:20 in this video.

http://www.movshare.net/video/fane5uvyzi19y
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes djhall's post
02-05-2014, 04:48 PM
RE: Ontology of belief
(02-05-2014 03:20 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 02:54 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Something like that yeah.

Interesting.

So if I say I believe the earth is flat and not round and that I believe this because at the moment it is useful for me to believe this (I am trying to get into the flat earth society) then you would consider my belief to be justified?

Well justified is a value based term. If we are using the same word to mean the same thing, then no I can't say your belief is justified. We are operating under the logical paradigm though; there is no particular reason why you have to live your life logically. You could say the earth is flat because you want it to be flat if you wanted to. You could say that even if you didn't want to, that's just the thing, there is no one "correct" way of being, just the one we all generally agree on.
02-05-2014, 04:49 PM
(02-05-2014 04:31 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 03:55 PM)djhall Wrote:  What do you propose is the criteria for determining the "correct" definition of a word (other than your claim that it is the correct definition)? I am NOT asking about what determines the "best" or "optimal" definition of what a word could or should be. I am only asking what determines the currently "correct" definition of a word as it exists.
I do not know how they determine the correct definitions of words - there seems to be different approaches by different editors of dictionaries.

A "scientific" classification system to organize the concepts, and then a "scientific" sentence structure is what I am proposing. And what this will do is align concepts and be easier to comprehend the array of knowledge.
Then would it be too much to say that your definition of the word atheism is more accurately proposed as "better" or "less likely to get bogged down in theological objections" or "more useful in the context of a secular movement that has evolved into being pro-science and humanism rather than simply anti-religious" or "more useful in focusing the atheist community toward a unified purpose" instead of simply "correct"?
02-05-2014, 04:49 PM
(02-05-2014 08:57 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Does anyone here believe that there is an external world of physical objects that existed before they were born, exists now, and will still be here when they die?

(02-05-2014 09:03 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Pretty good chance we all agree to that - ...

Whoa there big fella, slow down. Not all of us here are as certain of that as you seem to be. Tongue

#sigh
02-05-2014, 05:20 PM
(02-05-2014 04:49 PM)djhall Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 04:31 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  I do not know how they determine the correct definitions of words - there seems to be different approaches by different editors of dictionaries.

A "scientific" classification system to organize the concepts, and then a "scientific" sentence structure is what I am proposing. And what this will do is align concepts and be easier to comprehend the array of knowledge.
Then would it be too much to say that your definition of the word atheism is more accurately proposed as "better" or "less likely to get bogged down in theological objections" or "more useful in the context of a secular movement that has evolved into being pro-science and humanism rather than simply anti-religious" or "more useful in focusing the atheist community toward a unified purpose" instead of simply "correct"?
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid560281

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
02-05-2014, 05:21 PM
(02-05-2014 04:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 08:57 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Does anyone here believe that there is an external world of physical objects that existed before they were born, exists now, and will still be here when they die?

(02-05-2014 09:03 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Pretty good chance we all agree to that - ...

Whoa there big fella, slow down. Not all of us here are as certain of that as you seem to be. Tongue

Oh, no, GM - not solipsism. Facepalm Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-05-2014, 05:29 PM
(30-04-2014 02:54 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  To what do we owe our beliefs?

Synaptic weights.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
02-05-2014, 05:30 PM
(02-05-2014 05:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 04:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Whoa there big fella, slow down. Not all of us here are as certain of that as you seem to be. Tongue

Oh, no, GM - not solipsism. Facepalm Weeping

I'm not willing to even go that far ChasMan. Cogito Ergo Sum is riddled with problems. Don't mean I can't pretend along with the rest of you. ... wait ... there's something just wrong with that ... Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-05-2014, 06:16 PM
(02-05-2014 05:20 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 04:49 PM)djhall Wrote:  Then would it be too much to say that your definition of the word atheism is more accurately proposed as "better" or "less likely to get bogged down in theological objections" or "more useful in the context of a secular movement that has evolved into being pro-science and humanism rather than simply anti-religious" or "more useful in focusing the atheist community toward a unified purpose" instead of simply "correct"?
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid560281
Crap. Somehow the discussion got going in two different threads and I lost track of which was which, so I was just responding in whatever thread the thing I was replying to was in.
02-05-2014, 06:53 PM
(02-05-2014 07:50 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 03:06 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  When I read TW's posts, I always think of this ...
SEND IN THE CLOWNS - I have it on my MP3 player.

[Image: fixed.gif]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop