Ontology of belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2014, 06:54 PM
RE: Ontology of belief
(02-05-2014 06:22 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  While I agree with most of your post, this part is just bullshit. Everyone knows that if it's yellow, you let it mellow; you don't sell that shit.

Well, to be honest, I sell it short, then buy it back at a profit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2014, 06:56 PM
(02-05-2014 08:57 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Does anyone here believe that there is an external world of physical objects that existed before they were born, exists now, and will still be here when they die?

So now you're going to try some idiotic solipsist bullshit tack?

....because my shotgun is waiting....

(02-05-2014 09:01 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Hobo
Listen bitch. Hobo You and your fucked-up comrades here, have not provided the definitions for the five words that I have requested. Hobo

Oh, not more than about fifty times, anyway...

Drinking Beverage

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
02-05-2014, 07:06 PM
(02-05-2014 09:03 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Atheists believe that only Man generates and guards the abstract.

Yes, because we see this foundational tenet of atheism repeated over and over in this forum. Isn't it the subtext of every banner of eery atheist website and forum on the planet? Hobo

02-05-2014, 07:12 PM
(02-05-2014 04:13 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  What is the verb for producing word salad? It's probably a useful skill in apologetic circles.

The correct verb is "to vomit".

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
02-05-2014, 07:32 PM
(02-05-2014 07:06 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:03 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Atheists believe that only Man generates and guards the abstract.

Yes, because we see this foundational tenet of atheism repeated over and over in this forum. Isn't it the subtext of every banner of eery atheist website and forum on the planet? Hobo
It would be pretty odd for an atheist to deny it - don't you thinks?
It won't hurt for you to realize that I am right - you fucking retard moron bitch.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
02-05-2014, 07:42 PM
(02-05-2014 07:32 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 07:06 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Yes, because we see this foundational tenet of atheism repeated over and over in this forum. Isn't it the subtext of every banner of eery atheist website and forum on the planet? Hobo
It would be pretty odd for an atheist to deny it - don't you thinks?
It won't hurt for you to realize that I am right - you fucking retard moron bitch.
[Image: OhHeMad-1.jpg]

Hey. Idiot. Atheism is simply not believing in any god-claims. No more, no less.

03-05-2014, 03:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 03:14 AM by Mathilda.)

You see it's sentences like this which stops me even trying to respond to your posts. It's a nonsensical statement. I mean, I could make a wild guess at what you're trying to say but if I have to guess then why should I even bother responding?

There's just so much wrong with just one single sentence like this yet you spew out loads of them and get angry at people when people don't understand you. The common denominator here is you. This should suggest to you that you aren't managing to communicate effectively.
  • You've been told repeatedly that atheism is a lack of belief therefore this is a strawman argument
  • What is 'the abstract'? How can 'the abstract' even exist if it is abstract?
  • How does man generate the abstract?
  • Why does it need guarding?

That's four questions asking what you mean from a single ten word sentence. So let's stick with this sentence for a while and find out what you really should have said.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
03-05-2014, 06:54 AM
Okay, Mr. Smarty Pants, with the multi-color post technique.

1. It does not make sense to use the term "atheist,' as the designation for lack of belief, because belief in god requires authority to prescribe the belief. So therefore, "atheism," is the opposition to the authority prescribing the belief. To be without belief in the supernatural is covered by humanism, which is the proper ontological antithesis to theism, because it is not logical to designate an ontology based on opposing another ontology. When opposing/negotiating authority that is politics - atheism is the political opposition to theist public policy. And that is what atheist organizations do - they oppose public policy.

2. Abstract and concrete are classifications that denote whether a term describes an object with a physical referent or one with no physical referents. They are most commonly used in philosophy and semantics. Abstract objects are sometimes called abstracta (sing. abstractum) and concrete objects are sometimes called concreta (sing. concretum). An abstract object is an object which does not exist at any particular time or place, but rather exists as a type of thing, i.e. an idea, or abstraction. - Wikipedia

3. The abstract exists because human beings generate the ideas and convert the ideas into tangible instruments, and there are people who study and advance the ideas represented in the tangible instruments - they are the guardians. Man generates the abstract by the thought process. Theists believe that god puts the thoughts into people's minds, souls, and so forth.

4. The abstract needs guardians, because otherwise the ideas would would get lost, or obscured by other, more entertaining ideas. You are guarding the abstract concept of "atheism," from my attempt to correct it.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post
03-05-2014, 07:43 AM
This... feels... so... pointless... Dodgy

[Image: outofcontrol-2.gif]

No matter what you do, it just keeps going and going and getting bigger on its way.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
03-05-2014, 08:21 AM
(03-05-2014 06:54 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  belief in god requires authority to prescribe the belief.

No it doesn't.

(03-05-2014 06:54 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  So therefore, "atheism," is the opposition to the authority prescribing the belief.

No it isn't.

(03-05-2014 06:54 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  atheism is the political opposition to theist public policy.

No it isn't.

(03-05-2014 06:54 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  And that is what atheist organizations do - they oppose public policy.

No they don't.