Ontology of belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2014, 07:04 PM
RE: Ontology of belief
(30-04-2014 05:18 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  How about we agree on the definition of belief put forth by modern epistemologists?

Belief is the psychological state in which one accepts a premise or proposition as true.

So, claiming that belief is tantamount to gullibility is incorrect. A belief is simply holding a premise to be true.

Beliefs can be held for good reasons, ie; demonstrable evidence and reasoned argument.

Or they can be held for bad reasons, ie; faith.

And to add, the strength of a belief should be proportional to the strength of the evidence.

Is the above definition agreeable?

I'd say that's pretty much spot-on.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
30-04-2014, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 09:05 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-04-2014 03:07 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Why is is that when asking a question here, I am frequently countered with requests to define my terms, most of which are terms found in common usage and are relatively unambiguous?

Because it's at THE most basic level that the things religionists assert are meaningless.
Your thread title for example. Ontology is the study of being. Beliefs are not beings. Your thread is therefore meaningless. Just like the three letter meme pronounced "gawd". There is no coherent definition of that word. I know Biola taught you to try to trick non-believers into accepting your presuppositionalist nonsense, as cljr more than adequately pointed out to you, and that's the ony way you know how to think and argue, but that's your problem. I do realize having your continued inability to define your basic terminology, (and the fact that we don't just accept it like you NEED us to do, to play your little sad apologetics game) pisses you off. Tough shit. You LEARNED what call your "beliefs". That's where they came from. Learning. Learning in humans is an interesting topic. But it's the WHY that's the really interesting topic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gods_Must_Be_Crazy
Beliefs are human mental activity, much like all human mental activity. They are learned responses to the world humans perceive around themselves.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-05-2014, 01:23 AM
(30-04-2014 02:54 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  To what do we owe our beliefs?
Beliefs come from ignorance, a willingness to ignore plausible alternatives, a reluctance to admit to knowledge gaps.

Couple that with faith and you have close minded wishful thinking.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
01-05-2014, 01:30 AM
(30-04-2014 02:54 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  To what do we owe our beliefs?

I don't know about anybody else here, but I own my beliefs to my brain. For without which, I would not have the capacity for cognition and information analysis and thus have no ability to construct thoughts which, through application of unconscious established bias, would become beliefs.

I owe it all to my thinky-sponge.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
01-05-2014, 03:46 AM
I want to see Jeremy and TrainWreck go at it! ... Best fight EVER! Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
01-05-2014, 04:15 AM
(01-05-2014 03:46 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I want to see Jeremy and TrainWreck go at it! ... Best fight EVER! Smile

Define 'best'.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 5 users Like Free Thought's post
01-05-2014, 05:56 AM
(30-04-2014 06:02 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  ...
As a native speaker of the language of Sarcasm, I find sarcasm fonts to be insulting.

Dodgy

Really?

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
01-05-2014, 06:12 AM
(30-04-2014 03:07 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Why is is that when asking a question here, I am frequently countered with requests to define my terms, most of which are terms found in common usage and are relatively unambiguous?

Most of the requests were obvious humor; however, the request to define "belief" was likely not. When people start a conversation with a particularly vague question, this tends to lead to people talking past each other at best. More so, it allows the person wiggle room to change their stance if things aren't going well, and then to claim that it was their stance all along, because they never actually took a stance to begin with.

This goes doubly so when it looks like the conversation is going the way of a freshmen philosophy 101 class where the person concludes "lol, we can't really know anything, guys!". It's one of those statements that's technically true, but is also stupidly meaningless. As evidenced by the existence of computers, cars, modern medicine, and satellites.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
01-05-2014, 07:07 AM
(01-05-2014 04:15 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 03:46 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I want to see Jeremy and TrainWreck go at it! ... Best fight EVER! Smile

Define 'best'.

Think ... Monty Pythonesquè. You know, surreal, hilarious Big Grin

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
01-05-2014, 08:44 AM
(30-04-2014 02:57 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Define "belief."

be·lief
biˈlēf/Submit
noun
an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
"his belief in the value of hard work"
a religious conviction.
"Christian beliefs"
synonyms: ideology, principle, ethic, tenet, canon; More
trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.
"a belief in democratic politics"
synonyms: faith, trust, reliance, confidence, credence More

If you add "blind" to it, It become completely different.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]