Ontology of belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2014, 10:27 PM
RE: Ontology of belief
(01-05-2014 05:50 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  When it comes to the definitions of some words, atheist, are confused, because they have not figured out that they need to sort the semantics that are unwittingly systematized to favor the inconsistencies of theism. And if they do not smarten-up in the immediate, the Christians are going to take the credit for straightening it out. And atheists are going to find themselves in the same position as the blacks claiming that they know social justice, but evidence reveals that they cannot organize community, because they do not trust each other.

I get it. Totally. But TW, don't obfuscate the primary prenuptials with rasberries. Often, the pertinent cat presents fabled necessities in the parking chamfer. Realize your net precedent. Triangulate! Save the best for the alligators. Ever the bastille notches the orchestra but Wendy is not green and horses will capitulate. Filter out the log from the turnstile and cry prevalently.

So there brown stare. Feed your inner walnut and resolve. Subject your lemon to the ingenious door in the presence of snow and animals. Aisle 7 is for the monetary cheese whiz. Faced with the kitchen, you may wish to prolong the sailboat in the cliff. Otherwise, rabbits may descend on your left nostril. Think about how you can stripe the sea.

Regale the storm to those who (6) would thump the parrot with the armband. Corner the market on vestiges of the apparent closure but seek not the evidential circumstance. Therein you can find indignant mountains of pigs and apples. Descend eloquently as you debate the ceiling of your warning fulcrum. Vacate the corncob profusely and and don’t dote on the pancreas.

Next up, control your wood. Have at the cat with your watch on the fore. Aft! Smarties (12)! Rome wasn’t kevetched in an autumn nightie. (42) See yourself for the turntable on the escalator. Really peruse the garage spider definitely again again with brown. Now we have an apparent congestion, so be it here. Just a moment is not a pod of beef for the ink well nor can it be (4) said that Karen was there in the millpond.

Garbage out just like the candle in the kitty so. Go, go, go until the vacuum meets the upward vacation. Sell the yellow. Then trim the bus before the ten cheese please Louise. Segregate from the koan and stew the ship vigorously.

And remember, never pass up an opportunity to watch an elephant paint Mozart.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-05-2014, 12:29 AM
(01-05-2014 06:57 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  This belongs in the thread you started. There's a forum rule against deliberately causing disruption, and what you're doing across multiple threads qualifies.
Well, that's not for you to decide. Is his reference to his own thread off-topic? Sure, but derailing a thread isn't against the rules. Sleepy

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
02-05-2014, 12:53 AM
(01-05-2014 11:56 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  And I make the point that atheists blindly give dictionary editors the same authority that they accuse theists of giving to the editors of their religious doctrinaires.

I am right, and they are wrong.

>Criticizes people for blindly accepting authority
>Asserts his own authority
>Knowing what he's like, would definitely be supportive of people blindly accepting him as an authority figure

Nooooo, you aren't megalomaniacal at all. Drinking Beverage

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
02-05-2014, 01:52 AM
By the ontology of belief, you must mean the being of belief, or being, maybe according to Heiddeiger's, "dasein."

Lets take it from "dasein"--being there, meaning a thing is there. I don't see why we can't use an idea like the word belief. Ok, so now belief is there.

For Heidegger, dasein is like an only cause, not a first cause; it's just there. So we're at the beginning of the history of being. Oh, dasein cannot be a history; it just takes up space not time. I wonder if he knew time/space is inseparable?

I just said all that because I have no one to discuss Heidegger with. And, I think what you are asking is complex, having to do with first causes, semantics and philosophical inquiries, psychology, and anthropoly.

But, I think I will just look at this from an anthropological perspective.

And I'm sure you mean belief as belief in God.

I have a relatively simple understanding that when the earliest primitive people took cover from the dark they experienced fear from those things they could not understand: noises, natural occurrences, the big scary night sky and all its inexplicable activity.

I believe the result of these experiences caused imaginings and eventually magical thinking: if I do this then that will occur, which in turn led to wards invented to attempt to control the things that threaten them.

Later, when reason begins to mature in their brains, and they are not yet scientists, they think up something bigger than their fears: something in control, causing their fears. Now they BELIEVE there is something more than they can sense (see, hear, smell, feel) lurking somewhere out there. Eventually they make a small step toward attempting to control the thing controlling the inexplicable, and they offer it an appeasement.

I'm stopping here; it's easy to see where this is going.

Back to Heidegger's "dasein," I don't think I can use the "idea" of being in "dasein" because being as an idea does not take up space. I believe "dasein" must take up space, like a rock or atom. Does anyone know?

This was fun.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
02-05-2014, 02:01 AM
(01-05-2014 10:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 05:50 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  When it comes to the definitions of some words, atheist, are confused, because they have not figured out that they need to sort the semantics that are unwittingly systematized to favor the inconsistencies of theism. And if they do not smarten-up in the immediate, the Christians are going to take the credit for straightening it out. And atheists are going to find themselves in the same position as the blacks claiming that they know social justice, but evidence reveals that they cannot organize community, because they do not trust each other.

I get it. Totally. But TW, don't obfuscate the primary prenuptials with rasberries. Often, the pertinent cat presents fabled necessities in the parking chamfer. Realize your net precedent. Triangulate! Save the best for the alligators. Ever the bastille notches the orchestra but Wendy is not green and horses will capitulate. Filter out the log from the turnstile and cry prevalently.

So there brown stare. Feed your inner walnut and resolve. Subject your lemon to the ingenious door in the presence of snow and animals. Aisle 7 is for the monetary cheese whiz. Faced with the kitchen, you may wish to prolong the sailboat in the cliff. Otherwise, rabbits may descend on your left nostril. Think about how you can stripe the sea.

Regale the storm to those who (6) would thump the parrot with the armband. Corner the market on vestiges of the apparent closure but seek not the evidential circumstance. Therein you can find indignant mountains of pigs and apples. Descend eloquently as you debate the ceiling of your warning fulcrum. Vacate the corncob profusely and and don’t dote on the pancreas.

Next up, control your wood. Have at the cat with your watch on the fore. Aft! Smarties (12)! Rome wasn’t kevetched in an autumn nightie. (42) See yourself for the turntable on the escalator. Really peruse the garage spider definitely again again with brown. Now we have an apparent congestion, so be it here. Just a moment is not a pod of beef for the ink well nor can it be (4) said that Karen was there in the millpond.

Garbage out just like the candle in the kitty so. Go, go, go until the vacuum meets the upward vacation. Sell the yellow. Then trim the bus before the ten cheese please Louise. Segregate from the koan and stew the ship vigorously.

Haha, you sound just like WLC, although he's not as colorful.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
02-05-2014, 02:08 AM
(01-05-2014 05:50 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 04:58 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Just because you are not a Christian that does not mean you cannot use the word "believe".

I hope you were just joking when you said what you said.

When it comes to the definitions of some words, atheist, are confused, because they have not figured out that they need to sort the semantics that are unwittingly systematized to favor the inconsistencies of theism. And if they do not smarten-up in the immediate, the Christians are going to take the credit for straightening it out. And atheists are going to find themselves in the same position as the blacks claiming that they know social justice, but evidence reveals that they cannot organize community, because they do not trust each other.
(28-04-2014 11:03 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  I need to know the definitions of the following words that atheists agree are correct:
  1. atheism
  2. humanism
  3. secularism
  4. religion
  5. belief
  6. worship

"When it comes to the definitions of some words, atheist, are confused, because they have not figured out that they need to sort the semantics that are unwittingly systematized to favor the inconsistencies of theism. And if they do not smarten-up in the immediate, the Christians are going to take the credit for straightening it out. And atheists are going to find themselves in the same position as the blacks claiming that they know social justice, but evidence reveals that they cannot organize community, because they do not trust each other."

Um...yeah....thanks for that.

Is "train wreck" a metaphor for your thought process?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
02-05-2014, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2014 02:16 AM by rampant.a.i..)
(02-05-2014 02:01 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 10:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I get it. Totally. But TW, don't obfuscate the primary prenuptials with rasberries. Often, the pertinent cat presents fabled necessities in the parking chamfer. Realize your net precedent. Triangulate! Save the best for the alligators. Ever the bastille notches the orchestra but Wendy is not green and horses will capitulate. Filter out the log from the turnstile and cry prevalently.

Haha, you sound just like WLC, although he's not as colorful.

Interestingly, this is the same technique used by WLC, and if you pay attention, the meanings WLC manages to pack into his lectures and that of the above post are identical.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
02-05-2014, 02:13 AM
(02-05-2014 02:08 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  

"When it comes to the definitions of some words, atheist, are confused, because they have not figured out that they need to sort the semantics that are unwittingly systematized to favor the inconsistencies of theism. And if they do not smarten-up in the immediate, the Christians are going to take the credit for straightening it out. And atheists are going to find themselves in the same position as the blacks claiming that they know social justice, but evidence reveals that they cannot organize community, because they do not trust each other."

Um...yeah....thanks for that.

Is "train wreck" a metaphor for your thought process?

Judging by: "When it comes to the definitions of some words, atheist, are confused, because they have not figured out that they need to sort the semantics that are unwittingly systematized to favor the inconsistencies of theism."

Yes. I would conclude anyone who can butcher the English language that badly while trying to fumble toward a point about semantics is indeed a mental train wreck.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
02-05-2014, 03:06 AM
When I read TW's posts, I always think of this ...

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 5 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
02-05-2014, 06:22 AM
(01-05-2014 10:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Sell the yellow.

While I agree with most of your post, this part is just bullshit. Everyone knows that if it's yellow, you let it mellow; you don't sell that shit.

(02-05-2014 03:06 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  When I read TW's posts, I always think of this ...

You read his posts?
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post