Ontology of belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2014, 08:26 AM
RE: Ontology of belief
Train wreck if:
Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity(s) creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in civil law
Then what is absurdism, existentialism, and nihilism?
What about realists? What about Woo?
Did you ever think-
A = not
the = concerning supernatural beliefs or religions/deity(ies)
ism = the act, practice, or process of doing something
Please take an English course and come back.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
02-05-2014, 08:33 AM
(02-05-2014 08:08 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Substituting "humanist" and redefining "atheist" ignores the basic structure of the English language.
No it doesn't, and part of the problem is you did not give the definitions of the words you listed, so we are debating in an ambiguous context.

(02-05-2014 08:08 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  You might as well say "Asexuality is a political doctrine in which the given animal, plant or fungus dogmatically opposes sexual reproduction and instead chooses cell division to reproduce as it is against their shared system of beliefs"
No - that is a straw man argument, because you are equating a physical property with an abstract property.

Atheism is a political doctrine, because we recognize that theism is a human construct, and not because of the intervention of supernatural power, as theists contend.

A person, or group, who claims to be asexual and discriminated against would qualify as a political advocacy, but they are probably going to have to generate a definition/doctrine that is more tuned into political doctrine.

the non-political doctrine/definition for atheists is within the context of humanism. Atheist-humanists are inclined to explain that their non-belief is autonomous of theists claim that a god exists and instills belief in humans.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
02-05-2014, 08:42 AM
(02-05-2014 08:26 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Did you ever think-
A = not
I am very well aware of that, and it is immature of you to suggest that I do not.

My argument is that the "a" prefix is with respect to opposing theist doctrine, because it does not make sense to oppose belief - that is why atheists have arguments about "non-belief," and "no belief," and "absence of belief," and then, as which this thread is addressing, atheists do not have grip on what belief is.

And then there is the definition of "worship," and then the definition of "religion." You guys have a mess and you are not doing a good job of sorting it out on these forums, which is the ideal situation to do so, but you do not know how to do it because you are focused on combating the Christians, because you know they won't hurt you.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post
02-05-2014, 08:44 AM
(02-05-2014 08:42 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 08:26 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Did you ever think-
A = not
I am very well aware of that, and it is immature of you to suggest that I do not.

My argument is that the "a" prefix is with respect to opposing theist doctrine, because it does not make sense to oppose belief - that is why atheists have arguments about "non-belief," and "no belief," and "absence of belief," and then, as which this thread is addressing, atheists do not have grip on what belief is.

And then there is the definition of "worship," and then the definition of "religion." You guys have a mess and you are not doing a good job of sorting it out on these forums, which is the ideal situation to do so, but you do not know how to do it because you are focused on combating the Christians, because you know they won't hurt you.

However you didn't respond to the other part of my post.

02-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Does anyone here believe that there is an external world of physical objects that existed before they were born, exists now, and will still be here when they die?
02-05-2014, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2014 09:06 AM by TrainWreck.)
(02-05-2014 08:44 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  However you didn't respond to the other part of my post.
(02-05-2014 08:26 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Train wreck if:
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity(s) creates and defines reality

Listen bitch. You and your fucked-up comrades here, have not provided the definitions for the five words that I have requested. I have done a lot of research and work in this field of semantics and it is very difficult work - that is why nobody else wants to do it. And its disorganization is the root of the problems in our world. You understand how science has narrowed the margin of human error - the next step in narrowing the margin further has to do with better systematizing the semantic system so it is of a consistent standard.

I took the time to counter the "asexual," argument that you expanded on, and like the piece of shit buddy of yours, rampant.A.hole, you are asking me to provide definition to words that you are not wiling to define yourselves, because you are lame fucktards who only have the ability to launch false arguments.

I am very proud that I am held to a higher standard - it is because I am more accurate.

02-05-2014, 09:03 AM
(02-05-2014 08:57 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Does anyone here believe that there is an external world of physical objects that existed before they were born, exists now, and will still be here when they die?

Pretty good chance we all agree to that - it is the argument about the abstract that is in question.

Theists believe god generates the abstract.

Atheists believe that only Man generates and guards the abstract.

[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post
02-05-2014, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2014 09:09 AM by Alex_Leonardo.)
(02-05-2014 09:01 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 08:44 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  However you didn't respond to the other part of my post.

Listen bitch. You and your fucked-up comrades here, have not provided the definitions for the five words that I have requested. I have done a lot of research and work in this field of semantics and it is very difficult work - that is why nobody else wants to do it. And its disorganization is the root of the problems in our world. You understand how science has narrowed the margin of human error - the next step in narrowing the margin further has to do with better systematizing the semantic system so it is of a consistent standard.

I took the time to counter the "asexual," argument that you expanded on, and like the piece of shit buddy of yours, rampant.A.hole, you are asking me to provide definition to words that you are not wiling to define yourselves, because you are lame fucktards who only have the ability to launch argument fallacies.
No, I just want to see what you think the definitions are.
Let me provide the definitions then:

atheism
the practice/support/group of - not - concerning god/religion
humanism
The practice/support/group of - humanity
secularism
The practice/support/group of - secular things
religion
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
belief
an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists. (However, "blind belief" or "faith" is different.)
worship
A practice or ritual that glorifies, or shows love, or devotion to a object, or being.

02-05-2014, 09:54 AM

Absurdism - philosophical doctrine that the efforts of humanity to find inherent meaning will ultimately fail (and hence are absurd) because the sheer amount of information as well as the vast realm of the unknown make certainty impossible. -Wikipedia

Existentialism - philosophical doctrine that people are entirely free and thus responsible for what they make of themselves. - Wordnet

Nihilism - philosophical doctrine that suggests the negation of one or more putatively meaningful aspects of life. - Wikipedia

Realists - adherents to the philosophical doctrine that cognitive biases are not "errors", but instead logical and practical reasoning methods of dealing with the "real world". - Wikipedia

I am not finding any problems with the descriptions from Wikipedia and Wordnet, other than the lack of systematization of terms, which I semi-corrected by adding the "philosophical doctrine," when it was not used. I would like to see a very systematized system of specific sentence structure, and eventually that will happen - probably not in my lifetime, but eventually it will, because that is what the information age leads to - artificial intelligence for robots.

My past research has only monitored "Existentialism," and "Realism." Existentialism may be an ontological doctrine, but it does not seem to be much different then the humanism doctrine.

I did not realize that "absurdism" is a school of thought.

02-05-2014, 10:00 AM
(02-05-2014 01:52 AM)Dee Wrote:  ...
This was fun.

Nice one. Bowing

Ironically, the only answer actually focused on the question in the OP seemed bizarrely off topic.

You have been docked 20 internet points.

Yes

And see me after class.

Tongue