Oops!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Oops!
Idiots tipped their hand:

Published June 04, 2014
AUBURN, Ala. – The founder of a children's ministry in eastern Alabama says that a billboard featuring a quote from Adolf Hitler will be removed.

The Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reports that the billboard at the Village Mall in Auburn, Alabama, features five smiling children beneath a quote from Hitler: "He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future."

Lamar Advertising officials say the billboard was rented by Opelika, Alabama-based Life Savers Ministries.

Live Savers Ministries founder James Anderegg said the organization is taking down the billboard, and that former U.S. President Herbert Hoover's quote about children being society's most valuable resource would have been a better choice. Anderegg said the group had honorable intentions and never intended to cause confusion.

Source

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
04-06-2014, 06:58 AM
RE: Oops!
(04-06-2014 06:28 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Idiots tipped their hand:

Published June 04, 2014
AUBURN, Ala. – The founder of a children's ministry in eastern Alabama says that a billboard featuring a quote from Adolf Hitler will be removed.

The Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reports that the billboard at the Village Mall in Auburn, Alabama, features five smiling children beneath a quote from Hitler: "He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future."

Lamar Advertising officials say the billboard was rented by Opelika, Alabama-based Life Savers Ministries.

Live Savers Ministries founder James Anderegg said the organization is taking down the billboard, and that former U.S. President Herbert Hoover's quote about children being society's most valuable resource would have been a better choice. Anderegg said the group had honorable intentions and never intended to cause confusion.

Source

Yep. I don't know where this idea comes from that Hitler was an atheist. He said in Main Kampf that he believed God was protecting him because he survived attempts to kill him.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
04-06-2014, 07:15 AM
(04-06-2014 06:58 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  

Published June 04, 2014

Source

Yep. I don't know where this idea comes from that Hitler was an atheist. He said in Main Kampf that he believed God was protecting him because he survived attempts to kill him.

He may not have been overtly religious but he shared many of the basic philosophic principles of Christianity, namely its Idealism and its moral premise of self sacrifice for the good of others. So it's not surprising that a church would end up using one of his quotes.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
04-06-2014, 07:25 AM
This is some good material if anyone wants to read it.
https://www.csustan.edu/history/roots-hitlers-evil
04-06-2014, 08:30 AM

Published June 04, 2014

Source
"...owns the youth.."

That's what they wanted to say? That makes me really sad. Youth are to be valued for who they are, not owned. Friggin religion. Sad

Life Savers Stranglers Ministries
Fixed that for them. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
04-06-2014, 09:03 AM
(04-06-2014 08:30 AM)Impulse Wrote:  

Published June 04, 2014

Source
"...owns the youth.."

That's what they wanted to say? That makes me really sad. Youth are to be valued for who they are, not owned. Friggin religion. Sad

That's the part that got me, too. Children's ministry wants to own the children. Not teach, but OWN. Freudian slip, methinks.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
04-06-2014, 09:09 AM
(04-06-2014 09:03 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 08:30 AM)Impulse Wrote:  "...owns the youth.."

That's the part that got me, too. Children's ministry wants to own the children. Not teach, but OWN. Freudian slip, methinks.

If they can get to them young before they develop their rational faculty they're like putty in the hand.

Imagine if we lived in a world where young children were taught that there is no fundamental distinction between the imaginary and reality. Oh wait, we already do.

[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
04-06-2014, 09:31 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 09:36 AM by RobbyPants.)
(04-06-2014 09:03 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  That's the part that got me, too. Children's ministry wants to own the children. Not teach, but OWN. Freudian slip, methinks.

It makes sense, really. Jesus flat out said (paraphrased) "Teach kids about me when they're young enough to believe in Santa Clause". We all know that the biggest determining factor in a person's religion is what they were raised to believe.

I just find this rather funny that the quote they picked that explains their beliefs so well was from Hitler. I mean, yeah, it's just a funny coincidence. I'm sure Hitler said lots of things that were benign or even wise or otherwise useful, but people typically avoid quoting Hitler because, well... Hitler.

Edit: Ha! I just realized that Jesus specifically says that unless you are as credulous as a child, you can't go to heaven! Jesus is self-refuting!

Matthew 18:3
Quote:3 and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
This sounds vaguely familiar from when I went to church, but the gravity of it never really dawned on me.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
04-06-2014, 09:44 AM
(04-06-2014 09:03 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 08:30 AM)Impulse Wrote:  "...owns the youth.."

Own.. it sounds like part of indoctrination 101. Sad

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
04-06-2014, 11:00 AM
This is not surprising at all.

They already cherry pick quotes from one genocidal lunatic, why not another?
[+] 9 users Like CleverUsername's post