Open Challenge ~ Gay Marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2013, 02:03 PM
RE: Open Challenge ~ Gay Marriage
Thanks. 8D

Oh, ok. That's good. I was afraid I missed a part of the rules, lol.

[Image: mrsnail.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Well, was trying to come up with an argument to play devil's advocate here, but I can't think of anything. I think you are going to have a hard time finding anyone here who is against gay marriage. You should try a Christian forum, but they'd likely just ban you.

If you are just trying to hone your arguments, maybe I'll come up with something yet.

If you are looking for people who need convincing - this isn't the place. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-06-2013, 02:58 PM
(24-06-2013 01:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Love your sig!

ME TOO!

I was so mesmerized I had trouble getting through your argument! I had to watch it all the way through before I could continue. Tongue

There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Perception is up for grabs, and truth seems to be the one precious thing, that no one wants anyone to find.
24-06-2013, 03:05 PM
The resident Christian even supports gay marriage. You may have a problem finding an opponent.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
24-06-2013, 03:14 PM
(24-06-2013 02:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, was trying to come up with an argument to play devil's advocate here, but I can't think of anything. I think you are going to have a hard time finding anyone here who is against gay marriage. You should try a Christian forum, but they'd likely just ban you.

If you are just trying to hone your arguments, maybe I'll come up with something yet.

If you are looking for people who need convincing - this isn't the place. Smile

Honestly, I was hoping to get into a debate with a theist since they have bible verses and stuff to back them up. It would be an interesting debate for me because I was raised a Christian, so I'm somewhat familiar with the other side's reasoning. It'd be nice to put my knowledge to the test and see how far it takes me. But it's not a big deal. I'm not looking to convince regular members since I have a hunch most of them support gay marriage, nor do I wish to join a Christian forum because that's like jumping in a piranha-infested river. xD

Still, I'd like to thank my opponent for participating. I was a bit stumped because I initially couldn't think of a reasonable response. It got me thinking.

[Image: mrsnail.gif]
24-06-2013, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2013 03:29 PM by cheapthrillseaker.)
I might have a try. Smile

Just putting it out there, I'm not against Gay Marriage.

Oh, and I'm doing homework online to find arguments, because like many here, finding one I can't debunk is, well, braintwisting. Big Grin

Yes, that's a word... now... Tongue

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
24-06-2013, 03:36 PM
I'll argue you with you seeming I am against gay marriage.
I'll vote for legalizing gay marriage in the same way I'd vote for legalized weed, because I think people should have total control of their social lives (within reason, ie: I can't go around killing people for the lolz (sadly)), but fundamentally I'm against people doing it.
The whole, do what you want just don't expect me to agree with it, thing.

Gay marriage shouldn't be a thing because it strengthens the whole marriage institute (gives validity, more members etc...).

As that is my argument I must discuss why I don't believe the whole marriage institute shouldn't be a thing.

- People shouldn't need a piece of paper to express their love for each other. If "marriage" is all that keeps a couple together (which is often the case) thenthose two people are not going to be as happy as what they could be. And before you say divorce, divorce is expensive which is another reason against marriage.

- Domestic violence, isolation and housework increase for women.
The role of "wife" has a negative sterotype and can portray a certain image. All not good for women's rights.

- It's an institute born out of really shit history. The bible states that if you rape someone you have to marry them. Now I'm not saying the bible is awesome, but it was written at a certain time and it didn't get that statement out of thin air...
Often marriage was for political reasons. Look at India, arranged marriages etc.. that still happens actually (not as much or as bad, nowhere near, but still). Buy a wife for a cow and two chickens anyone??

- It's not all negative to women either. It can be negative for men too, especially with men. It can very expensive for men during divorce and women are still favored when children are involved. Not helped either by the wife stereotype.

- It's a huge fuss to divorce. I can't prove, but I think, it would result in escalated tension and hatred between husband/wife because one is putting the other through such an annoying, financially stressful etc.. situation.

- Bad marriages lead to high stress levels which means health issues.

- I think it leads to pretend play. What I mean by that is that someone may get married and have the 1 and a quarter kid (that'd be one freaky kid... ><) and use that marriage as a sort of excuse in an attempt to have what they believe is the perfect happy little life.
It's a cookie cutter. The "golden rule"
Where I believe everyone is different, you can't use that cookie cutter and say that that person will be happy. Sure, a lot of people will be. BUT there is still a lot of people who will use this cookie cutter because they society says it's the only way to be happy and instead of doing what will truly make them happy they are miserable in this cookie cutter life.

- All the benefits of marriage could easily be replaced with things without the negatives.
ie: Married couples have a lot of say when it comes to one of the partners dying or becoming a vegetable etc..
This could easily be replaced with a simple legal document.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
Yea! KC is a lying douche! he promised me choc-chip cookies and all I got was raisin.. RAISIN!!
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
24-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Leave it to muffs. Thumbsup

That's about the only "valid argument" I could come up with, that marriage is stupid and needs to go the way of the dinosaur. Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-06-2013, 03:54 PM
(24-06-2013 03:36 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'll argue you with you seeming I am against gay marriage.
I'll vote for legalizing gay marriage in the same way I'd vote for legalized weed, because I think people should have total control of their social lives (within reason, ie: I can't go around killing people for the lolz (sadly)), but fundamentally I'm against people doing it.
The whole, do what you want just don't expect me to agree with it, thing.

Gay marriage shouldn't be a thing because it strengthens the whole marriage institute (gives validity, more members etc...).

As that is my argument I must discuss why I don't believe the whole marriage institute shouldn't be a thing.

- People shouldn't need a piece of paper to express their love for each other. If "marriage" is all that keeps a couple together (which is often the case) thenthose two people are not going to be as happy as what they could be. And before you say divorce, divorce is expensive which is another reason against marriage.

- Domestic violence, isolation and housework increase for women.
The role of "wife" has a negative sterotype and can portray a certain image. All not good for women's rights.

- It's an institute born out of really shit history. The bible states that if you rape someone you have to marry them. Now I'm not saying the bible is awesome, but it was written at a certain time and it didn't get that statement out of thin air...
Often marriage was for political reasons. Look at India, arranged marriages etc.. that still happens actually (not as much or as bad, nowhere near, but still). Buy a wife for a cow and two chickens anyone??

- It's not all negative to women either. It can be negative for men too, especially with men. It can very expensive for men during divorce and women are still favored when children are involved. Not helped either by the wife stereotype.

- It's a huge fuss to divorce. I can't prove, but I think, it would result in escalated tension and hatred between husband/wife because one is putting the other through such an annoying, financially stressful etc.. situation.

- Bad marriages lead to high stress levels which means health issues.

- I think it leads to pretend play. What I mean by that is that someone may get married and have the 1 and a quarter kid (that'd be one freaky kid... ><) and use that marriage as a sort of excuse in an attempt to have what they believe is the perfect happy little life.
It's a cookie cutter. The "golden rule"
Where I believe everyone is different, you can't use that cookie cutter and say that that person will be happy. Sure, a lot of people will be. BUT there is still a lot of people who will use this cookie cutter because they society says it's the only way to be happy and instead of doing what will truly make them happy they are miserable in this cookie cutter life.

- All the benefits of marriage could easily be replaced with things without the negatives.
ie: Married couples have a lot of say when it comes to one of the partners dying or becoming a vegetable etc..
This could easily be replaced with a simple legal document.

I wouldn't disagree with your sentiments exactly, but I think your argument might not have so much to do with marriage as it does with people being shitty people.

There's nothing inherently wrong with marriage itself, but it's kind of like how both communism and capitalism work great on paper. It's only when you introduce shitty, greedy, self absorbed people into the equation that things go south and get messy.

But for many people it works just fine.

"Don't forget to love yourself."
-Soren Kierkegaard
24-06-2013, 04:02 PM
I would, however probably tend to agree that it needlessly over complicates relationships, which could possibly lead to problems.

"Don't forget to love yourself."
-Soren Kierkegaard