Open Challenge to Anyone....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2015, 12:01 PM
RE: Open Challenge to Anyone....
(26-08-2015 10:50 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 09:47 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I'm a bit puzzled as to how you expect claiming opposing parties' opinions as "worthless"

Well, in this case, they are worthless.

(26-08-2015 09:47 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  and declaring non-takers to your challenge as "lacking in balls" will entitle you to a civil discourse.

I said that because I issued a previous challenge which was unmet, just like this one. It is just a competitive quip..thats all.

Competitive quips tend not to foster respectful conversation.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2015, 12:09 PM
(27-08-2015 12:01 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 10:50 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Well, in this case, they are worthless.

I said that because I issued a previous challenge which was unmet, just like this one. It is just a competitive quip..thats all.

Competitive quips tend not to foster respectful conversation.

Religious faith is not in any way related to "challenges" or debates, or argumentation. According to Christian Theology, it is a gift of their deity. One of the "virtues" St. Paul talked about. It is not about arguments. It's about a "relationship". "No one shall come to me UNLESS the Father draw him". (John 46:44) Amazing how many religionists have not the first clue about their own cult's teachings. Faith is the abandonment of reason. Arriving at the point where you abandon reason by using reason is the most ludicrous waste of time one could think of.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-08-2015, 12:58 PM
(27-08-2015 12:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 12:01 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Competitive quips tend not to foster respectful conversation.

Religious faith is not in any way related to "challenges" or debates, or argumentation. According to Christian Theology, it is a gift of their deity. One of the "virtues" St. Paul talked about. It is not about arguments. It's about a "relationship". "No one shall come to me UNLESS the Father draw him". (John 46:44) Amazing how many religionists have not the first clue about their own cult's teachings. Faith is the abandonment of reason. Arriving at the point where you abandon reason by using reason is the most ludicrous waste of time one could think of.

Yes he obviously doesn't understand that, what I was curious to gauge was his understanding of hypocrisy.

[Image: giphy.gif]
27-08-2015, 03:10 PM
(27-08-2015 12:58 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 12:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Religious faith is not in any way related to "challenges" or debates, or argumentation. According to Christian Theology, it is a gift of their deity. One of the "virtues" St. Paul talked about. It is not about arguments. It's about a "relationship". "No one shall come to me UNLESS the Father draw him". (John 46:44) Amazing how many religionists have not the first clue about their own cult's teachings. Faith is the abandonment of reason. Arriving at the point where you abandon reason by using reason is the most ludicrous waste of time one could think of.

Yes he obviously doesn't understand that, what I was curious to gauge was his understanding of hypocrisy.

I would not be so sure of that. I think Call_of_the_Wild completly understand that. In fact, I think he is one step above understanding that he integrated that notion. That's why he claim to have won all the debate he evidently lost, especially the one against googwithoutgod. He won because each time he went into a debate he got out of it with his faith intact and his conviction still just has strong and scored an occasional good point here and there. Since he accepts no reason or argument because of his faith and we are bound to accept a good argument or rebuttal that he makes once in a while, he always win in his mind. That's why he keeps on asking for debates and especially for debate face o face with a wider audience. It's a test for his faith and his convictions. He wants to know if he can completely shut down his reason, hear all the best argument for doubt and disbelief in his God and remain completely faithful while forcing us to accept a single point. It has never been about truth or knowledge. It's all about conviction and a desire to prove oneself worthy of his God's «love».
[+] 9 users Like epronovost's post
27-08-2015, 11:40 PM
(27-08-2015 03:10 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 12:58 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Yes he obviously doesn't understand that, what I was curious to gauge was his understanding of hypocrisy.

I would not be so sure of that. I think Call_of_the_Wild completly understand that. In fact, I think he is one step above understanding that he integrated that notion. That's why he claim to have won all the debate he evidently lost, especially the one against googwithoutgod. He won because each time he went into a debate he got out of it with his faith intact and his conviction still just has strong and scored an occasional good point here and there. Since he accepts no reason or argument because of his faith and we are bound to accept a good argument or rebuttal that he makes once in a while, he always win in his mind. That's why he keeps on asking for debates and especially for debate face o face with a wider audience. It's a test for his faith and his convictions. He wants to know if he can completely shut down his reason, hear all the best argument for doubt and disbelief in his God and remain completely faithful while forcing us to accept a single point. It has never been about truth or knowledge. It's all about conviction and a desire to prove oneself worthy of his God's «love».

Holy fuck.

Anybody got any weed? I have GOT to smoke a joint before I process this one.

I think this is completely correct. Really, I don't need to process it, just absorb it.

Dog damnit.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
28-08-2015, 06:41 AM
(26-08-2015 03:44 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I hope you can all indulge me, if not him.

Much of us, you ask, padawan. Dodgy

(26-08-2015 09:42 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Why there is even a debate about the idea that there can be some concept of "morality" outside of social constructs and behavioral (desires vs. social rules) instincts, I have no idea.

It is my conjecture that morality is an artifact of chemical intelligence. That our moral concepts are no more than maps we have made through the labyrinths of our lives, where righteousness is no more right than having taken a right and having survived. Further that the state of righteous produces a sort of euphoria, where people "get high" off of being right, and thus whenever involved in an argument the debater chooses whatever tangent maximizes righteousness.

In such a case moral behavior is akin to addiction where the addict can no easier willfully do wrong than the junkie can put down the needle.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-08-2015, 09:56 AM
(27-08-2015 12:01 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Competitive quips tend not to foster respectful conversation.

That is your opinion. I can think of many scenario's at which it can be said and no one will feel disrespected.

And based on all of the disrespectful and tasteless shit I've seen some of you people spew on here, we shouldn't even be having this conversation.
28-08-2015, 10:17 AM
(27-08-2015 03:10 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I would not be so sure of that. I think Call_of_the_Wild completly understand that. In fact, I think he is one step above understanding that he integrated that notion. That's why he claim to have won all the debate he evidently lost, especially the one against googwithoutgod. He won because each time he went into a debate he got out of it with his faith intact and his conviction still just has strong and scored an occasional good point here and there. Since he accepts no reason or argument because of his faith and we are bound to accept a good argument or rebuttal that he makes once in a while, he always win in his mind. That's why he keeps on asking for debates and especially for debate face o face with a wider audience. It's a test for his faith and his convictions. He wants to know if he can completely shut down his reason, hear all the best argument for doubt and disbelief in his God and remain completely faithful while forcing us to accept a single point. It has never been about truth or knowledge. It's all about conviction and a desire to prove oneself worthy of his God's «love».

"I ain't saying you're wrong, I am saying you are mistaken" -Charles Barkley

Laugh out load

Pretty damn good assessment, even though you are partially wrong. For starters; you mentioned the debate with GWOG. I do not believe he beat me in any debate that or discussion I've had with him. In fact, I don't believe any on here has ever gotten the best of me.

I think I've successfully fought off any attacks against my faith, while also going on the offense by attacking the positions of the opposition. There is a feeling that you get, deep down inside, when you KNOW someone has gotten the best of you...and I've never really had that feeling before. I've had it maybe three times since I've been on here, admittedly....but even then, the ratio is far more in my favor than not.

Second, I ask for debates because I believe it is my duty to face off against opposing views against my faith. It is my duty, my calling. We have spiritual gifts granted to us by God. Some people have the gift of prophesizing...some have the gift of preaching, some of teaching, some of counseling...and I happen to believe that I have the gift of apologetics.

All of these gifts are given to us, and each person with the gift does so on behalf of the kingdom of the Living God.

I have been active on religious forums and/or chat rooms for the past...15 years or so. Intellectually sparring with people helps me sharpen my sword. However, my weakness is when it comes to VERBAL debates...and now I feel it is time for me to sharpen my sword on a verbal level, which is why I GLADLY gave out my number to anyone that wants to discuss these issues with me...and I also put forth the option of a video discussion...and so far, no one has taken me up on it.

To me, that is equivilent to a man talking to a woman on the phone. Yeah, talking on the phone is cool, but after months and months and months, the man (or woman) is going to eventually want to go out on a date. You people are so content with this damn forum, and you make it seem as if this is the only way to get down to business. Yeah, the forum is cool. In fact, this is the best forum I've ever been on, considering all of the cool features (particularly, the drafting capabilities).

But I want a verbal spar now. But anyways, I am in to apologetics because I believe it is my calling, and I am simply answering the call.
28-08-2015, 10:32 AM
(26-08-2015 02:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  Listen you silly shit, enough of us have wasted time answering your crap before. You just ignore whatever anyone says and continue on your merry deluded way, laughing about how you've "won" the debate. There's ZERO point in "debating" you. You have proved repeatedly that you are not worth the time.

Now *you*, you delightfully addled motherfucker, have decided that we're not good enough debate opponents, *all by your conceited self*, so get the fuck out already. Go find those worthy opponents who *will* take on your numbskull views.

So..um, is that a yes or no to my debate challenge? Laugh out load
28-08-2015, 10:47 AM
(26-08-2015 03:44 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  @COTW: In fact, I think it would be a good idea if we discussed our debate on the Kalam Cosmological Argument, if only for a moment. I felt that it came to a very unsatisfactory ending without any explanation from you as to why.

Its funny you mentioned that debate of the Kalam, because I had COMPLETELY forgotten about it, man. This is the extent of my forgetfulness; Just yesterday, I was browsing this good ole forum, because I just found out about the "Colosseum' part of it, and how people get to weigh in on the debates...I just found out about this yesterday!!! And I also got a chance to thoroughly browse the Boxing Ring threads, which I've never actually had any interest in doing until recently...so while I was browsing, I saw "Call_of_the_Wild vs Dark Phoenix", and bro, I had to actually click on the thread to see what the debate was about!!! Then I was like Ohhhhh I remember.

Man, I'm losing it Blink

(26-08-2015 03:44 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I was especially disappointed in its abrupt end, because I was about to hear your explanation for arguing a universe created out of nothing, and then not being so convinced by that concept after all. It wasn't clear whether or not you supported or denounced the idea.

I also felt that we had finally reached an understanding of why I don't think there is any such thing as a problem of infinity. I repeated it in many different ways over a variety of posts, and I had thought to have finally reached you with the last one.

Tell ya what. Let's debate the topic again. This time, I want to focus on the Cosmological Argument in general, and at least two of the arguments within it.

1. The Kalam (which we discussed)
2. The Libneiz version

They are kind of the same argument, but they attack it from slightly different angles.

We will pretty much cover the same stuff we covered previously, but I have some more "stuff" to put into it it Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Call_of_the_Wild's post