Open Debate Challenge: Historical Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2012, 06:50 AM
RE: Open Debate Challenge: Historical Jesus
(14-05-2012 11:27 PM)DeistPaladin Wrote:  Just to clarify, are you suggesting that "Chrestus" ("the good one") was a misspelling or misunderstanding of the Christians' "Christos" (or "the anointed one")?

There were actually many "Christos"-es among the ancient Jews. It's not a name but a title. Christos = the anointed one = Messiah. The Jews, chaffing under Roman rule, had many pretenders to that throne. I do know that John the Baptist had a following that persists to this day that insist he was the promised Messiah.

I'm not entirely sure what "Chrestus" means apart from translating as "the good one" so would someone more knowledgeable of ancient history let us know?

Since there is a paraphrase of Shakespeare in the last line of your post (see post # 16):

It may be worthwhile to note that the spelling of William Shakespeare's name has varied over time…..and the spelling was not fixed until well into the 20th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_of...e%27s_name
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2012, 08:04 AM
RE: Open Debate Challenge: Historical Jesus
(15-05-2012 06:50 AM)ahoy Wrote:  
(14-05-2012 11:27 PM)DeistPaladin Wrote:  Just to clarify, are you suggesting that "Chrestus" ("the good one") was a misspelling or misunderstanding of the Christians' "Christos" (or "the anointed one")?

There were actually many "Christos"-es among the ancient Jews. It's not a name but a title. Christos = the anointed one = Messiah. The Jews, chaffing under Roman rule, had many pretenders to that throne. I do know that John the Baptist had a following that persists to this day that insist he was the promised Messiah.

I'm not entirely sure what "Chrestus" means apart from translating as "the good one" so would someone more knowledgeable of ancient history let us know?

Since there is a paraphrase of Shakespeare in the last line of your post (see post # 16):

It may be worthwhile to note that the spelling of William Shakespeare's name has varied over time…..and the spelling was not fixed until well into the 20th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_of...e%27s_name
Fair enough but the other side to that argument is we shouldn't assume a similar name is the same person, especially since it's not a name but a title attributed broadly at that time. It doesn't help that "Yeshua" was a common name at that time and place.

Not disputing the possibility that the real timeline might be well outside the range normally assumed. A second century Bishop who's name escapes me now once wrote that Jesus was crucified by Caesar Trajan.

"An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral and the advance of (humanity's) knowledge over time is a greater miracle than all the sticks turning to snakes and the parting of the waters."
-Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply