Open Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Open Discussion
To All,

I have been listening to TTA for quite some time and I must be upfront that I am not a subscriber to the beliefs proposed by the Forum. I do, however, hope for respectful dialogue with those whose beliefs differ from mine as we do think about the issues involved.

Onlinewatcher
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Onlinewatcher's post
07-02-2014, 09:18 PM
RE: Open Discussion
Ok! Thumbsup
07-02-2014, 09:25 PM
(07-02-2014 08:05 PM)Onlinewatcher Wrote:  To All,

I have been listening to TTA for quite some time and I must be upfront that I am not a subscriber to the beliefs proposed by the Forum. I do, however, hope for respectful dialogue with those whose beliefs differ from mine as we do think about the issues involved.

Onlinewatcher

Cool. I would like to clarify though that this Forum doesn't propose any beliefs.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
07-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Hello! Welcome.

Warning: over the internet I have a tenancy to come across as bitchy. If I ever cross the line while I'm chatting with you, be sure to bop me on the head and snap me out of it. Thumbsup

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
07-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Hello , welcome.
Very few people here have beliefs and those that do rarely agree, your op realy should have said.

""I am not a subscriber to the disbeliefs proposed by the Forum.""

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
07-02-2014, 10:38 PM
(07-02-2014 10:25 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Hello! Welcome.

Warning: over the internet I have a tenancy to come across as bitchy. If I ever cross the line while I'm chatting with you, be sure to bop me on the head and snap me out of it. Thumbsup

Do the same for me, Cephalotus.
07-02-2014, 10:50 PM
(07-02-2014 10:30 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Hello , welcome.
Very few people here have beliefs and those that do rarely agree, your op realy should have said.

Oh, that's not the only bit of strawmanning we're in for with this one. Just take a look at this steaming pile (in the Intro forum, even):

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...God--23029

PS: It doesn't realize that Hitler was a Catholic. How droll.

HoboLaughat

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
07-02-2014, 10:53 PM

Sporehux,

This comment is probably a good place to start. I know Atheists are quite sensitive about being labeled as one's having beliefs and I am not sure I know why. I understand that you are denying something but denial doesn't exist in a vacuum. Something denied is usually supplanted with some form of positive assumptions. When I ask Atheists about a given topic they usually respond with a certain consistency which suggests a body of belief. They seem to share many beliefs with those on the left regarding social issues, a high value is given to science, their assumptions usually seem to align themselves with humanist assumptions, acceptance of abortion stem cell research etc. They definitely share assumptions about certain fundamental beliefs such as origins, purpose in life and after life. These are major foundations of any belief system. So I guess my question is, "Why do atheists object to having an identifiable body of common of belief?"
07-02-2014, 10:55 PM
(07-02-2014 10:50 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  

Oh, that's not the only bit of strawmanning we're in for with this one. Just take a look at this steaming pile (in the Intro forum, even):

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...God--23029

HoboLaughat

As soon as the intent of this ambiguous thread is clear, I do plan on moving it out of the introduction section.

Your friendly neighborhood moderator.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-02-2014, 11:06 PM
(07-02-2014 10:53 PM)Onlinewatcher Wrote:  I know Atheists are quite sensitive about being labeled as one's having beliefs and I am not sure I know why. I understand that you are denying something but denial doesn't exist in a vacuum. Something denied is usually supplanted with some form of positive assumptions. When I ask Atheists about a given topic they usually respond with a certain consistency which suggests a body of belief. They seem to share many beliefs with those on the left regarding social issues, a high value is given to science, their assumptions usually seem to align themselves with humanist assumptions, acceptance of abortion stem cell research etc. They definitely share assumptions about certain fundamental beliefs such as origins, purpose in life and after life. These are major foundations of any belief system. So I guess my question is, "Why do atheists object to having an identifiable body of common of belief?"

I can't speak for every atheist, but I think the issue is the stigma attached to the word "belief." Nobody "believes" science; we understand it. It is falsifiable and not written in stone. It's constantly changing. The reason it appears to be faith and/or belief based to an outsider is because those vaguely 'unifying' trends have only ever been observed within religions. As far as I know, there has never been a society or large country that didn't have an official (or hell, even unofficial) religion. For most of human history it has been the norm and it is still how most people choose to view things.

I don't think atheists should technically be considered to be denying deities. If we lived in a future where religion was softly fading away, this discussion would only exist in philosophy classes.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 3 users Like Cephalotus's post