Open Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2014, 11:19 PM
RE: Open Discussion
(07-02-2014 08:05 PM)Onlinewatcher Wrote:  To All,

I have been listening to TTA for quite some time and I must be upfront that I am not a subscriber to the beliefs proposed by the Forum. I do, however, hope for respectful dialogue with those whose beliefs differ from mine as we do think about the issues involved.

Onlinewatcher

My own personal Jesus Bob welcomes you with a bigass PedoBear hug OnlineVoyeur.
[Image: Bear_Hug_by_CommodoreElfman.jpg]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-02-2014, 11:25 PM
(07-02-2014 10:53 PM)Onlinewatcher Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 10:30 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Hello , welcome.
Very few people here have beliefs and those that do rarely agree, your op realy should have said.

""I am not a subscriber to the disbeliefs proposed by the Forum.""

Sporehux,

This comment is probably a good place to start. I know Atheists are quite sensitive about being labeled as one's having beliefs and I am not sure I know why.

Sensitive? How so? We aren't sensitive, it's simply not a true statement. What's with this "sensitivity" straw man?

Quote: I understand that you are denying something but denial doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Not so much denying as pointing out that The Emperor Has No Clothes. If you weren't going around blabbing about The Emperor's Magnificent Clothes, and trying to get us to admire them as well, we wouldn't bother pointing out what a little prick he has.

Quote: Something denied is usually supplanted with some form of positive assumptions.

Something "denied" is in response to a positive assertion -- typically that of some idiot theist that wanders in here spouting nonsense and superstitious fairy tales.

Quote:When I ask Atheists

So you troll atheist forums a lot? Do tell.

Quote: about a given topic they usually respond with a certain consistency which suggests a body of belief.

Not a body of belief. A consistency of disbelief. That's really the only thing we have in common. Oh, and you might want to look up "straw man fallacy". Of course, if you need a picture drawn for you....

[Image: avatar_29005.gif?dateline=1382106007]

Quote: They seem to share many beliefs with those on the left regarding social issues,

Really? You might be surprised. That is, if you weren't too busy strawmanning us to pay attention.

Quote: a high value is given to science,

Um, so you don't place a high value on science? I assume that you are using a computer of some sort to post this tripe, right? HoboLaughat

Quote: their assumptions usually seem to align themselves with humanist assumptions,

What are "humanist assumptions"...? It seems that you are beginning to exhibit the sort of typecasting behavior that tends to get theist trolls hammered here. You might want to reconsider that tack. Or you'll have a bad time.

Quote: acceptance of abortion stem cell research etc.

Oh,. here we go with politics based on superstition. Couldn't see that one coming....Dodgy

Quote: They definitely share assumptions about certain fundamental beliefs such as origins, purpose in life and after life.

Just who is this "they" person you are talking about? All atheists?

Quote: These are major foundations of any belief system.

Really? You haven't thought this through, have you.

Quote: So I guess my question is, "Why do atheists object to having an identifiable body of common of belief?"

We don't. We might, however, object to being strawmanned as "having an identifiable body of common of belief", which we don't.

Oh, and you might as well learn up front that repeating the same bullshit assertion over and over doesn't make it true.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
07-02-2014, 11:28 PM
(07-02-2014 10:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 10:50 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Oh, that's not the only bit of strawmanning we're in for with this one. Just take a look at this steaming pile (in the Intro forum, even):

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...God--23029

HoboLaughat

As soon as the intent of this ambiguous thread is clear, I do plan on moving it out of the introduction section.

Your friendly neighborhood moderator.

Might as well monitor this thread as well, as this poster seems to be more interested in strawmanning and arguing against atheists and atheism here than introducing itself.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
07-02-2014, 11:35 PM
(07-02-2014 11:28 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 10:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  As soon as the intent of this ambiguous thread is clear, I do plan on moving it out of the introduction section.

Your friendly neighborhood moderator.

Might as well monitor this thread as well, as this poster seems to be more interested in strawmanning and arguing against atheists and atheism here than introducing itself.

I'm just waiting to see the direction this "open discussion" takes. The OP has another different thread in the intro section.

(edited because I'm feeling like crap tonight and left off words).

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

07-02-2014, 11:41 PM
(07-02-2014 11:35 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 11:28 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Might as well monitor this thread as well, as this poster seems to be more interested in strawmanning and arguing against atheists and atheism here than introducing itself.

I'm just waiting to see the direction this "open discussion" takes. The OP has another different thread in the intro section.

(edited because I'm feeling like crap tonight and left off words).

Feel better moms! Hug

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-02-2014, 12:08 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 12:14 AM by sporehux.)
Very few people here have beliefs and those that do rarely agree, your op realy should have said.

Sporehux,

This comment is probably a good place to start. I know Atheists are quite sensitive about being labeled as one's having beliefs and I am not sure I know why. I understand that you are denying something but denial doesn't exist in a vacuum. Something denied is usually supplanted with some form of positive assumptions. When I ask Atheists about a given topic they usually respond with a certain consistency which suggests a body of belief. They seem to share many beliefs with those on the left regarding social issues, a high value is given to science, their assumptions usually seem to align themselves with humanist assumptions, acceptance of abortion stem cell research etc. They definitely share assumptions about certain fundamental beliefs such as origins, purpose in life and after life. These are major foundations of any belief system. So I guess my question is, "Why do atheists object to having an identifiable body of common of belief?"

Well regardless of the dictionary meaning, "denial" is almost always used in the negative, "in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead".

What you don't seem to understand is that the only main theme Atheists have in common is disbelief in the ancient gods proposed by our ancestors, documented by many individuals (egos) years after the anecdotal events.

As for origins, purpose in life and after life, this is personal to each Atheist:

Origins: Most simply agree that they don't know and there's not enough human knowledge to be able to know yet, but evolution after origin is a fact if you can think for yourself.
Purpose in life: Its what you decide it should be.
After life: This is a supernatural theistic construct aka " WOO "

"Why do atheists object to having an identifiable body of common of belief?"
Once you read the bat shit ideas some Atheists have then you would understand,
you want to lump Atheist together, so let me align you with Scientology, Mormons and Catholics, would that site well with you if you were judged as equal to them in beliefs ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
08-02-2014, 07:50 AM
(07-02-2014 10:53 PM)Onlinewatcher Wrote:  "Why do atheists object to having an identifiable body of common of belief?"

Better worded would be:

"Why do atheists object to having an identifiable body of commonality?"

But I object to that generalization. Cool

What you may find that we have in common is pretty basic.

1) No belief in god/gods
2) It follows then that we don't hold anything sacred beginning with "holy" books and scripture from ANY religion.
Scriptures, n.: The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based.
Ambrose Bierce

3) It also follows that as a group we look for naturalistic explanations to answer questions and we apply the scientific method to search for these answers.
4) We are perfectly fine with saying "I don't know" or "We don't know yet". Currently unanswered questions do not lead us to insert a "God of the gaps" argument, or as I view it a "Throw my hands up in the air and fall on my knees" response.

Gotta run but if you keep these things in mind you might find it helpful when discussing anything with us horrible heathens. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
08-02-2014, 08:02 AM

Sporehux,

This comment is probably a good place to start. I know Atheists are quite sensitive about being labeled as one's having beliefs and I am not sure I know why. I understand that you are denying something but denial doesn't exist in a vacuum. Something denied is usually supplanted with some form of positive assumptions. When I ask Atheists about a given topic they usually respond with a certain consistency which suggests a body of belief. They seem to share many beliefs with those on the left regarding social issues, a high value is given to science, their assumptions usually seem to align themselves with humanist assumptions, acceptance of abortion stem cell research etc. They definitely share assumptions about certain fundamental beliefs such as origins, purpose in life and after life. These are major foundations of any belief system. So I guess my question is, "Why do atheists object to having an identifiable body of common of belief?"

It's not beliefs we share, it's acknowledgement of facts. Other than that we are as different as can be.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
09-02-2014, 04:53 AM

Sporehux,

I can see you're an ignorant fuck, which I guess explains your lack of lack of beliefs.
Allow me to explain Atheism to you.

Atheism: The lack of a belief in God.

That's it. Period. That's all Atheism is. So none of this "atheists are left wing communists" shit thank you very much.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
09-02-2014, 06:09 AM
(09-02-2014 04:53 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 10:53 PM)Onlinewatcher Wrote:  Sporehux,

I can see you're an ignorant fuck, which I guess explains your lack of lack of beliefs.
Allow me to explain Atheism to you.

Atheism: The lack of a belief in God.

That's it. Period. That's all Atheism is. So none of this "atheists are left wing communists" shit thank you very much.

"" identifiable body of common of belief""

What is that supposed to be anyway? And why do your posts come across like invented, dressed-up word-salad? Cripes - just say what it is you're trying to say and stop trying to sound like there's a string of letters behind your name.
I hate it when people try to sound like something they're not. Makes them sound dumber nor smarter.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post