Open Interview about atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Open Interview about atheism
Hi everyone!
I'm a senior at a high school in Chicago and I'm writing a paper about people's relationship to the sacred. We need to do a few interviews, so I was wondering if anyone wanted to answer a few questions about atheism? You don't have to answer them all. If you do answer some, thanks in advance! Smile

1. When did you fully realize your atheism, and when did you officially start practicing?
2. What made you come to the realization that you were an atheist? Why were you drawn to this philosophy?
3. Many religions/beliefs have core ideals, often coming from a central doctrine. What makes up the base of your philosophy? What do you put your faith in, if not a deity?
4. What is your definition of “truth”?
5. Does your ideology impact the way you interact with others, or the way others interact with you? Has it ever caused conflict?
6. Where/how do you find meaning in life?
7. How do you practice your ideology? Is it important for you to have a regular communal relationship with other people who share in your philosophy?
8. What do you think difference is between atheism and agnosticism?
9. How should people deal with suffering and pain in the world? How do you deal with it?
10. What do you think happens after death?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2013, 11:46 PM
RE: Open Interview about atheism
Ouch! Even the questions show bias! Lol

So many cats, so few good recipes.
17-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Noon onon o I didn't mean to show bias! I think (pretty sure) I'm agnostic atheist. I used these questions for people of other religions and just modified them a little for atheism, so maybe that's why it seems biased? idk
Sorry if I offended anyone! Sad
17-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Oh no, no offence at all! I think you misunderstand my tone. It's just obvious that the questions were modified and originally intended for the religious. I'll give it a shot, just give me a few....

So many cats, so few good recipes.
17-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Are you kidding me? Dodgy

"Practicing atheism?" On the off chance that you actually are a high school senior, I'm gonna cap this here building pyroclastic flow of invective and ask that you rephrase the questions.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-11-2013, 12:06 AM
Stark Raving, thank you Smile
houseofcantor, I'm really, really sorry these are phrased badly. Like I said, I just modified the questions from the original wording intended for religious people. I should've phrased them better but it's midnight and I have school tomorrow and I guess I'm just tired. And yes, I actually am a high school senior. Did you want me to rephrase all the questions, or just a few?
18-11-2013, 12:06 AM
(17-11-2013 11:32 PM)cassie529 Wrote:  Hi everyone!
I'm a senior at a high school in Chicago and I'm writing a paper about people's relationship to the sacred. We need to do a few interviews, so I was wondering if anyone wanted to answer a few questions about atheism? You don't have to answer them all. If you do answer some, thanks in advance! Smile

1. When did you fully realize your atheism, and when did you officially start practicing?
2. What made you come to the realization that you were an atheist? Why were you drawn to this philosophy?
3. Many religions/beliefs have core ideals, often coming from a central doctrine. What makes up the base of your philosophy? What do you put your faith in, if not a deity?
5. Does your ideology impact the way you interact with others, or the way others interact with you? Has it ever caused conflict?
7. How do you practice your ideology? Is it important for you to have a regular communal relationship with other people who share in your philosophy?
9. How should people deal with suffering and pain in the world? How do you deal with it?
Sure I'll bite, but all these questions have very little to do with atheism.

1. 12, Just before my holy communion too. lol. The thing is atheism is not something you practice. All it means is that you have the absence of a belief in deities or gods, whatever you want to call it.

2.Is it really a philosophy? see 1.

3. See 1. There is no doctrine or any book we hold dear, we don't gather, we don't agree on lots of things atheism is not a religion. I don't know how this gets confused.

4. Truth is something that is real and no matter what you say otherwise. Knowing what is the truth is the real trick, now is it?

5. Not an ideology.

6. Meaning of life is subjective, find your own meaning.

7. see 5 (seriously, you can't have questions like this when talking about atheism.)

8. Atheism is the absence of a belief in deities or gods and agnosticism is to believe that knowing if there is a god or not is unknowable.

9. Accept it, suffering and pain is part of life. People can go to a hospital or see a medical professional to alleviate pain and suffering. Sometimes bodies can just heal themselves.

10. After death, your body either gets buried underground in a box, cremated, shot into space, donate it to medical science or donate organs, whatever you want it to be done to it. Atheist don't adhere to any ideas of an afterlife.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
18-11-2013, 12:10 AM
(17-11-2013 11:54 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Are you kidding me? Dodgy

"Practicing atheism?" On the off chance that you actually are a high school senior, I'm gonna cap this here building pyroclastic flow of invective and ask that you rephrase the questions.

Are you kidding me? How is Gwynnies not practicing atheism?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
18-11-2013, 12:11 AM
(18-11-2013 12:06 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  

Sure I'll bite, but all these questions have very little to do with atheism.

1. 12, Just before my holy communion too. lol. The thing is atheism is not something you practice. All it means is that you have the absence of a belief in deities or gods, whatever you want to call it.

2.Is it really a philosophy? see 1.

3. See 1. There is no doctrine or any book we hold dear, we don't gather, we don't agree on lots of things atheism is not a religion. I don't know how this gets confused.

4. Truth is something that is real and no matter what you say otherwise. Knowing what is the truth is the real trick, now is it?

5. Not an ideology.

6. Meaning of life is subjective, find your own meaning.

7. see 5 (seriously, you can't have questions like this when talking about atheism.)

8. Atheism is the absence of a belief in deities or gods and agnosticism is to believe that knowing if there is a god or not is unknowable.

9. Accept it, suffering and pain is part of life. People can go to a hospital or see a medical professional to alleviate pain and suffering. Sometimes bodies can just heal themselves.

10. After death, your body either gets buried underground in a box, cremated, shot into space, donate it to medical science or donate organs, whatever you want it to be done to it. Atheist don't adhere to any ideas of an afterlife.

Thank you for replying! Smile I know the wording was strange, and I really should have just written new questions instead of modifying old ones that I used for religious people, and I'm really sorry about that. But I really appreciate you taking the time to answer these! Smile
18-11-2013, 12:11 AM

1: At age 12 I realized that the christian god was a lie. I perfected my atheism shortly after that and decided to stop practicing.

2: The classic Problem of Evil. There has never been a successful resolution to how an Omnipotent Omniscient Omni-benevolent God would allow the amount of suffering that exists in the world. Either God is false in which case why worship a false deity or he is evil in which case he deserves no worship.

3: I am a humanist. I put faith in the fact that actually helping people, rather than begging some imaginary friend to help them for me, will improve their lives and as the individual goes so goes the group. Helping them helps all of us.

4: Truth is that which can be proven. Mathematics are the only realm in which we may know the whole truth. For everything else you must take the available evidence and follow where it leads. Everything we "Know" right now may be false (and undoubtedly some or most of it is probably going to change with future discoveries) but as long as you act rationally and use some healthy skepticism you should be ok.

5: Very rarely. Most people follow humanist ideals even under the guise of religion. The few people I have had issues with are more worried about labels than with actions.

6: I make my own. Life and the universe simply are, meaning is up to the individual.

7: I just try not to be a dick. As to communion, no I don't do that. I prefer small groups to large crowds so I'm not one of those who would go to an Atheist "Church" or anything like that.

8: Semantics. very few people are true agnostics (50/50 truly undecided) most people fall along a scale of 1-7 with 1 being the Gnostic theist (I know there is a god) and 7 being the Gnostic Atheist (I know there is No God) I consider myself a 6.9 because as I said earlier there is always a chance what I know now may be false.

9: Help someone. Doesn't have to be everyone but just try and help someone. Even if it is just giving a homeless man a sandwich. Try to make the world a better place than when you found it.

10: Nothing. I believe death is much the same as pre-birth once neural function stops there is no preservation of ego or identity. Life is ultimately short and it is the only time we have (that we know of) so make it count.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post