Open Marriages - thoughts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2016, 07:11 PM
RE: Open Marriages - thoughts?
(21-01-2016 06:30 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 10:03 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  There are few tax advantages in the US for married couples earning two-paychecks. If only one of you work then yes you get an extra personal exemption on your single source of income. If both of you work all it does is move part of your income into a higher tax bracket. If my SO and I were to get married it move all of her income from the 10-15% bracket to the 28% bracket. Getting married would cost us 13-18% of her taxable income.

The sad part is, that this is the only benefit from marriage.

That is not true. There are many legal implications of marriage, both pro and con.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2016, 07:27 PM
I'm completely happy with Canada's version of common law status. Lifetime relationships I'm good with, but I'm done with marriage. It doesn't need to be the government's business. I believe a relationship in and of itself should have no legal implications whatsoever. Kids are a different story.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
24-01-2016, 06:23 AM
(21-01-2016 10:13 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 10:03 AM)coyote Wrote:  I wasn't really replying to you so much as to jennybee, though I left your post there as a contrast to my own.
It's not all about you.

Actually my post WAS specifically about me. It was addressing a point of personal contention.

..And it wasn't even in contrast to yours! The point you raised was the part that I agree with...

Well then we should argue about it even more! Hobo
24-01-2016, 08:22 AM
(21-01-2016 07:27 PM)yakherder Wrote:  It doesn't need to be the government's business. I believe a relationship in and of itself should have no legal implications whatsoever. Kids are a different story.

^

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
24-01-2016, 09:41 PM
(24-01-2016 08:22 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 07:27 PM)yakherder Wrote:  It doesn't need to be the government's business. I believe a relationship in and of itself should have no legal implications whatsoever. Kids are a different story.

^

Yet governments routinely do involve themselves in relationships. Government being a meta-set of society, it seems unavoidable really. Relationships are ultimately the fabric of society. Without relationships, there is no society.
25-01-2016, 06:15 AM
(24-01-2016 09:41 PM)coyote Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 08:22 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  ^

Yet governments routinely do involve themselves in relationships. Government being a meta-set of society, it seems unavoidable really. Relationships are ultimately the fabric of society. Without relationships, there is no society.

Well you can be cohabitants and not get married, so there is that.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
25-01-2016, 08:32 AM
(24-01-2016 09:41 PM)coyote Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 08:22 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  ^

Culture and biological imperatives have that covered. I don't want my tax bracket or access to insurance to be part of the equation.

'Murican Canadian
27-01-2016, 08:39 PM
(25-01-2016 08:32 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 09:41 PM)coyote Wrote:  Yet governments routinely do involve themselves in relationships. Government being a meta-set of society, it seems unavoidable really. Relationships are ultimately the fabric of society. Without relationships, there is no society.

Culture and biological imperatives have that covered. I don't want my tax bracket or access to insurance to be part of the equation.

You might not want it, yet it is routine. Because any government, being a meta-set of society, definitely has an interest in creating that society to reflect its aspirations.
31-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Speaking to the topic ...

I've always been somewhat torn on the issue of having an open relationship. On the one hand, a "buffet" attitude towards relationships is normal imo. One could just call it "dating", but it's a bit more than that. The stability of being committed to someone in a monogamous relationship is normal too, imo. Stability, predictability, reliability, security, a safe person and a safe place. So how does one have the best of both worlds ... being in a committed relationship where two people support each other's goals, while still having access to others sexually, emotionally, etc ? An open relationship would seem to be the way to go. However, where it breaks down for me, is I'm personally a very territorial person, when it comes to close relationships that involve trust. I don't often get jealous, rather, I just get .. protective. Territorial, over certain aspects of a relationship. So I fear that I would have a double standard: I would want freedom, but may not trust the other person to have it. I think the ability to trust each other equally, to where each person could honor the other and have an open relationship, would be amazing. However, I don't know that I've ever trusted someone enough to do it.

As far as marriage itself, I partially agree with the other posters who say they see no point to getting the government involved. It's a person I'm wanting to be with and be committed to, not a government agency.