Open challenge, Match 2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Open challenge, Match 2
Once again, I'm posting an open invitation to challengers. Pretty much any challenger, pretty much any topic. As I just finished arguing abortion with Heywood Jablowme, I'd prefer to give another debater a chance and discuss a different topic.

And again, I'd like to aim for a fairly civil discussion. (Didn't always stay on that ball last time.)

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 11:38 AM
RE: Open challenge, Match 2
I'll have a go

Evolve
06-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Maybe we should list some things we are on about to find something to debate?

-I'm anti-theist
-pro legislation and restriction on guns
-against geoengineering a solution to global climate change
-for reducing greenhouse emissions and the move to renewable energy on the basis of public health first and foremost
-I guess I am liberal in pretty much all of my views, so I would rather have a single federal government as opposed to 50 smaller ones
-I am an advocate for punctuated equilibrium as a bigger driver for evolutionary change than I am gradualism

Any of those strike your fancy? Big Grin

Evolve
07-05-2013, 11:36 PM
(06-05-2013 11:45 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Maybe we should list some things we are on about to find something to debate?

-I'm anti-theist
-pro legislation and restriction on guns
-against geoengineering a solution to global climate change
-for reducing greenhouse emissions and the move to renewable energy on the basis of public health first and foremost
-I guess I am liberal in pretty much all of my views, so I would rather have a single federal government as opposed to 50 smaller ones
-I am an advocate for punctuated equilibrium as a bigger driver for evolutionary change than I am gradualism

Any of those strike your fancy? Big Grin

I identify as an ignostic, and I'd hesitate to call myself ANTI-theist. There are some theists I get along with okay. My goal is coexistence, rather than displacement or deconversion. (I've got no objection to deconversion, it's just not my goal.)

While I do think that reducing greenhouse emissions should be the first and foremost approach to climate change, I think it's proceeded too far to adequately address it without significant CO2 removal, which I THINK counts as geoengineering. (Personally, I view it just as undoing the damage.)

On guns, I'd LIKE to see legislative restriction and control, but I'd also favor what I call a "tobacco strategy" of taxes and labeling, and wish there was some effort to pursue this strategy in tandem.

I'm pretty liberal too. (Also a bit of an anarchist. But not violent.) I DO think there's a lot of stuff that should be left to the states, just not automatically everything.

I'm right with you on punctuated equilibrium. Oh, hey, that works with memetics, too!

Honestly, I think we're close enough on most of those topics that there's not enough grist for a debate.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
08-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Probably Consider

Got any topic ideas then?

Evolve
08-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Um.

Importance of the space program? (My take, extremely important, severely underfunded.)
Intervention in Syria? (My take, ideally yes, but I don't trust the military or the government to do it competently.)
Significance of the Omphalos Hypothesis? (My take, unfalsifiable, but a useful tool in debating evolution with creationists.)
Water fluoridation? (My take, pro.)

12-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Re: Open challenge, Match 2
Still I'm in agreement across those fronts (except that was the first I had heard of the Omphalos hypothesis, I think calling it a hypothesis is incorrect as it isn't falsifiable and is nothing more than special pleading).

How about drug legalization? I still find myself unable to be compelled that drugs should be legalized, I'm not even sure I am okay with legalizing weed at this point in time.

Education reform? I'm for getting rid of all the extraneous positions (administrators), focusing on teachers, and maybe finding a way around teachers unions in some cases?

Public vs private school. Both in terms of which is better and should the same education standards be applied, regardless of religious affiliation. I'm for public school and against holding private schools to the same standards.

Evolve
15-05-2013, 01:04 AM
(12-05-2013 07:03 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Still I'm in agreement across those fronts (except that was the first I had heard of the Omphalos hypothesis, I think calling it a hypothesis is incorrect as it isn't falsifiable and is nothing more than special pleading).

How about drug legalization? I still find myself unable to be compelled that drugs should be legalized, I'm not even sure I am okay with legalizing weed at this point in time.

Education reform? I'm for getting rid of all the extraneous positions (administrators), focusing on teachers, and maybe finding a way around teachers unions in some cases?

Public vs private school. Both in terms of which is better and should the same education standards be applied, regardless of religious affiliation. I'm for public school and against holding private schools to the same standards.

Eh, the word "Hypothesis" is in its name.

Drug legalization, depends on the drug for me. Yes for weed, no for PCP, some others in a gray area. My arguments would be less about individual liberty and more about how illegalization has a tremendous cost and isn't accomplishing anything productive, in the cases of "soft drugs" like weed.

Speaking as a college math instructor, I don't think the education system would run without administrators. They take care of a thousand tasks from advising to streamlining to hiring to promotion to evaluation and on and on that I and all the other teachers aren't cut out to do. There might be some "administrative bloat" in certain segments of the system, but that's something to trim back rather than to cut out entirely. I'm strongly for public education with a private option, but private schools should not receive public funds, and should be held to at least similar standards. (No high school diploma without an accurate understanding of what the Theory of Evolution says, for example.) Same for teachers' unions. There are places that they get overpowerful, but a world without them would be appalling. In my mind, the principle problem with the education system is that it is starved for funding (or, where it isn't, the funding isn't evenly distributed), subject to conflicting demands from too many overseers on the political level, and run with a factory-like philosophy.

[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
15-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply, this thread just gets buried quickly.

Homeschooling? I am wholly against it in pretty much any circumstance, perhaps the ones who are antisocial to the point of being unable to learn need something other than a classroom. But on average, I don't think homeschooling benefits the student for the real world, at least not in most cases.

Evolve
15-05-2013, 01:59 PM
(15-05-2013 01:19 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Sorry it took me so long to reply, this thread just gets buried quickly.

Homeschooling? I am wholly against it in pretty much any circumstance, perhaps the ones who are antisocial to the point of being unable to learn need something other than a classroom. But on average, I don't think homeschooling benefits the student for the real world, at least not in most cases.

I'll agree it gets abused in a lot of cases, especially when homeschooling is chosen for religious reasons. That said, I think that correctly done it can be much BETTER for the student than a public education, if the homeschooler is willing to put in the time required. Give me time and permission to homeschool my kid, and I can probably have him doing calculus, soldering circuit-boards, and writing college level papers at age 14. As a result, I don't think it should be off the menu, just subject to some higher standards.