Open challenge: Prove the existence of objective moral laws in a godless world

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2014, 07:55 AM
RE: Open challenge: Prove the existence of objective moral laws in a godless world
(18-12-2014 07:27 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It would boil down to the judgement of moral values of the case. I don't know what that massacre was/is.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/...e-peshawar

And when you say judgement of moral values, you mean the particular values various individuals hold, or is that judgement based on values that you hold?

Quote:Why do you value bland constructs that aren't deeply valuable. If you're not getting it, I'm not certain of any justification to accept any moral truth claims have any merit.

Well, I don't know if any answer or question here has a deeper value. I was just trying to understand your moral perspective, by asking questions that help me to see this perspective clearer. I was trying to find something that you believe is evil, or if you just avoid making such moral judgements, and avoid using the language of good and evil, immoral and moral, good and bad.

Like would you say that while you believe it was unfair for innocent black men to be lynched, you wouldn't call the actions of the lynchers evil, or immoral.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2014, 09:33 AM
RE: Open challenge: Prove the existence of objective moral laws in a godless world
(18-12-2014 07:55 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 07:27 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It would boil down to the judgement of moral values of the case. I don't know what that massacre was/is.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/...e-peshawar

And when you say judgement of moral values, you mean the particular values various individuals hold, or is that judgement based on values that you hold?

Quote:Why do you value bland constructs that aren't deeply valuable. If you're not getting it, I'm not certain of any justification to accept any moral truth claims have any merit.

Well, I don't know if any answer or question here has a deeper value. I was just trying to understand your moral perspective, by asking questions that help me to see this perspective clearer. I was trying to find something that you believe is evil, or if you just avoid making such moral judgements, and avoid using the language of good and evil, immoral and moral, good and bad.

Like would you say that while you believe it was unfair for innocent black men to be lynched, you wouldn't call the actions of the lynchers evil, or immoral.

I'm not sure I see the benefit in using the terms bad/evil good/moral in any of the laid out contexts. Something may definitely be more harmful or less fair like attacks on children, but using definitive labels isn't something that can achieve ideal accuracy in judging actions.

For the first question, I would say it relies on both. I wouldn't recommend only being aware of your own judgments.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply