Open the Pod Bay Doors Hal

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
28-07-2016, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2016 04:27 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
Open the Pod Bay Doors Hal
"Open the pod bay doors Hal"

That movie line comes from this scene:

In the movie there is a spaceship called Discovery One. A sentient computer named HAL controls the spaceship. Hal decides to kill off the human parasites that inhabit the body he controls. My question is does the United States Constitution grant a computer like Hal the right to kill the human beings that inhabit its body? Obviously I am questioning the validity of the "my body my choice argument".

Does your answer change if those humans, as in the case of the humans in the movie, threaten the life of the sentient machine?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2016, 05:09 PM
RE: Open the Pod Bay Doors Hal
At work.

Sadly there was important context missed in the movie that was present in the book.

From memory, in the book Hal was effectivly given conflicting dirsctives and hence developed a 'pshycofrenia (sp?)

Shorter comment. Computer got bad code... went mad.
28-07-2016, 05:25 PM
Quote:Shorter comment. Computer got bad code... went mad.

Just like Woodie!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
28-07-2016, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2016 05:34 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(28-07-2016 04:22 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  "Open the pod bay doors Hal"

That movie line comes from this scene:

In the movie there is a spaceship called Discovery One. A sentient computer named HAL controls the spaceship. Hal decides to kill off the human parasites that inhabit the body he controls. My question is does the United States Constitution grant a computer like Hal the right to kill the human beings that inhabit its body? Obviously I am questioning the validity of the "my body my choice argument".

Does your answer change if those humans, as in the case of the humans in the movie, threaten the life of the sentient machine?

"Open the Pod Bay Doors Hal" ... and out pops Blowme, fresh from another hour with the idiot priests.
What an idiot.
You have the subtlety of a truck.
No.
Nothing in law grants "personhood" to an unborn fetus, you fucktard.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-07-2016, 05:33 PM
(28-07-2016 05:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What an idiot.
You have the subtlety of a truck.
No.
Nothing in law grants "personhood" to an unborn fetus, you fucktard.

As you often do, you have substituted a hard question for an easy one. Then having answered the easy question, you go on to claim you have answered the hard one and think your self smart when you are simply a moron.

The question doesn't have to do with personhood. Does a sentient being have the right to kill a human being that inhabits its body? Is the "Its my body therefore it is my choice" a persuasive argument?
28-07-2016, 05:36 PM
(28-07-2016 05:09 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Sadly there was important context missed in the movie that was present in the book.

From memory, in the book Hal was effectivly given conflicting dirsctives and hence developed a 'pshycofrenia (sp?)

Shorter comment. Computer got bad code... went mad.

The question is a general one. 2001 a Space Odyssey is only a literary tool for the argument. There is a sci-fi show called "Farscape". In it, the space ships are living sentient beings. Could such a being decide on a whim to eject its human inhabitants just because it felt it was his/her body and therefore his/her choice?
28-07-2016, 05:44 PM
What you are asking is irrelevant since we do not have sentient machines at this time. If this happens sometime in the future there may be laws written up then.
You are asking questions that will go nowhere about scenarios that don't exist.
28-07-2016, 05:48 PM
(28-07-2016 05:44 PM)pablo Wrote:  What you are asking is irrelevant since we do not have sentient machines at this time. If this happens sometime in the future there may be laws written up then.

You are burying your head into the sand. It doesn't matter that a HAL 9000 doesn't exist today. The concept of it exists and that allows us to construct moral scenarios to see if our thinking is consistent.

You shouldn't have to change your position about the "Its My body, therefore it is my choice" argument because technology advances.
28-07-2016, 05:53 PM
(28-07-2016 05:48 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 05:44 PM)pablo Wrote:  What you are asking is irrelevant since we do not have sentient machines at this time. If this happens sometime in the future there may be laws written up then.

You are burying your head into the sand. It doesn't matter that a HAL 9000 doesn't exist today. The concept of it exists and that allows us to construct moral scenarios to see if our thinking is consistent.

You shouldn't have to change your position about the "Its My body, therefore it is my choice" argument because technology advances.

Why do you assume I would change my position? I simply do not have enough information to make an informed decision about imaginary characters.

What you are so obviously trying to do is dredge up the pro-choice vs. pro-life arguments to earn yourself a "gotcha" moment.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
28-07-2016, 05:57 PM
(28-07-2016 05:48 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

Star trek the next generation already covered this question with Data.

[Image: 3e46512f43dfe2c733b987c4fb17dcb9.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post