Open the Pod Bay Doors Hal

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
08-08-2016, 04:06 AM
RE: Open the Pod Bay Doors Hal
I was unaware any part of my body had a purpose, as opposed to a function.

Women are people, not breeders. Women cannot be forced to breed without violating their essential right to control their own bodies; you are trying to make women slaves, against their will, to the uterus.

If you build an AI ship which has a true personality and therefore rights which accompany that person status only to host humans, then you have built a slave. The ship must volunteer its hull to host humans, or else you have a slave. I consider that a greater crime than ejecting humans who inhabit that ship against its will.

It's why I pointed to the organ transplant problem... yes, you're free to consider me an asshole if I won't volunteer my liver to save your life, but you cannot invade my body and take it without becoming something monstrous.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
08-08-2016, 04:36 AM
(08-08-2016 01:25 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 01:21 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The human mind is also the result of a biological machine. You can't have a mind without a body or a brain.

Hal in just a mechanical mind occupying a mechanical body just as you are a human mind occupying a human body.

No. You're wrong. The mind does not occupy the body. The mind is an emergent phenomenon that is produced by a machine, whether biological, digital or mechanical.

Take away the mechanical brain and the body and there is no mind.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
08-08-2016, 04:41 AM
(08-08-2016 01:30 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Apparently, he missed my previous reply, or wants to pretend it's not there.

Some rights trump other rights.

Blowjob also ignored my post along the same lines.

(29-07-2016 01:07 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(29-07-2016 12:14 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  An AI might just treat you like a tape worm if it buys into the "My body therefore My Choice" argument.

So what? The AI is not a human. It wouldn't have human rights, it would have AI rights. In the same way that animals have animal rights.

He doesn't seem able to make a point from his analogy, and is just sprouting random thoughts and hoping we draw some conclusions which he can't quite put into words himself.

Non-human rights aren't necessarily equal to human rights from a human perspective. It depends upon the value humans give the rights of non-humans and whether the non-human can fight for those rights to be recognised.

This is because there is no objective morality.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
08-08-2016, 04:45 AM
(08-08-2016 02:07 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Any human beings that find themselves inside the uterus being sustained by it have a right to be there.

A collection of cells is not a human being. The potential to become a human being is not the same as actually being human. This is equivocation on your part.
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
08-08-2016, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2016 04:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
The Singularity is near where we will become indistinguishable from our technology. I already notice that most people and their smart phone or smart watch or fitbit or Angry Birds or PokemonGO are inseparable. Soon they'll just sew them in. First your garments (which they are already doing, we're buying a bunch of them but I'm gonna ask if they can make mine fucschia or lavender ) and then you. Ticker and liver just gotta last long enough to see it.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-08-2016, 02:04 AM
(08-08-2016 04:45 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 02:07 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Any human beings that find themselves inside the uterus being sustained by it have a right to be there.

A collection of cells is not a human being. The potential to become a human being is not the same as actually being human. This is equivocation on your part.

A human being is a any organism of the human species. The collection of cells we are talking about is a human organism and therefore a human being.

You can argue that the collection of cells is not a person. But to argue that an embryo is not a human being is like arguing that the sun revolves around the earth. You come off so stupid that the discussion would be a colossal waste of time.

Human beings have life cycles just like any other organism. Part of that life cycle is the embryonic/fetal stages. This is a fact that is only disputed by morons.
10-08-2016, 02:10 AM
(08-08-2016 04:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I was unaware any part of my body had a purpose, as opposed to a function.

Purpose and function are synonymous. The function of an AI ship is to provide a safe place for human beings to exist while they journey through space time. The function of the uterus is to provide a safe place for a fetal human being(s) while they journey though space time.
10-08-2016, 02:21 AM
(10-08-2016 02:10 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 04:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I was unaware any part of my body had a purpose, as opposed to a function.

Purpose and function are synonymous. The function of an AI ship is to provide a safe place for human beings to exist while they journey through space time. The function of the uterus is to provide a safe place for a fetal human being(s) while they journey though space time.

That's like saying the function of the respiratory system and the mouth is to play the trumpet. Facepalm

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
10-08-2016, 02:37 AM
(10-08-2016 02:21 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  That's like saying the function of the respiratory system and the mouth is to play the trumpet. Facepalm

Its not like that at all. A uterus exists to provide a safe place for human beings in their embryonic/fetal stage. An embryo is not infringing upon the rights of the mother by taking up residence in the uterus. A human crew is not infringing upon the rights of an AI ship by taking up residence within it.

The unconscious violinist argument fails.
10-08-2016, 02:40 AM
(10-08-2016 02:04 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(08-08-2016 04:45 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  A collection of cells is not a human being. The potential to become a human being is not the same as actually being human. This is equivocation on your part.

A human being is a any organism of the human species. The collection of cells we are talking about is a human organism and therefore a human being.

You can argue that the collection of cells is not a person. But to argue that an embryo is not a human being is like arguing that the sun revolves around the earth. You come off so stupid that the discussion would be a colossal waste of time.

Human beings have life cycles just like any other organism. Part of that life cycle is the embryonic/fetal stages. This is a fact that is only disputed by morons.

So if I take a shit then have I created another human being? After all, it contains gut bacteria which is part of the human microbiome. We wouldn't be able to live without our gut bacteria to break down and digest food.

If I have a single stem cell extracted from my bone marrow, is that a new human being? After all Dolly the sheep was cloned using stem cells from another sheep. Was that a single sheep with two bodies that could exist in two places at once or two different sheep? Would it be murder if I killed that single stem cell? What about an egg? What about a fertilised egg? Why isn't it murder to take a body off life support if it has no chance to wake up? What about a baby that is born without a brain? Is that still a human?

You need to specify exactly at what point a collection of cells is and isn't a human being. Saying that anybody that doesn't agree with you is a moron is not going to convince anybody and just wastes your time.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post