Open the Pod Bay Doors Hal

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
10-08-2016, 02:46 AM
RE: Open the Pod Bay Doors Hal
(10-08-2016 02:40 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  You need to specify exactly at what point a collection of cells is and isn't a human being. Saying that anybody that doesn't agree with you is a moron is not going to convince anybody and just wastes your time.

Skin cells, marrow cells, stem cells, are all constituent cells of a larger organism. An embryo is an organism unto itself.

We shouldn't be arguing about elementary stuff like the life cycle of a human being. I'm on good ground by calling people morons who deny that human beings have life cycles which include an embryonic/fetal stages. We would never have this argument except the pro abortion folks feel guilty about killing human beings so they pretend instead they are killing clumps of cells.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2016, 03:01 AM
(10-08-2016 02:46 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 02:40 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  You need to specify exactly at what point a collection of cells is and isn't a human being. Saying that anybody that doesn't agree with you is a moron is not going to convince anybody and just wastes your time.

Skin cells, marrow cells, stem cells, are all constituent cells of a larger organism. An embryo is an organism unto itself.

How can an embryo be an organism unto itself if it is dependent on the mother in order to survive? Why isn't the embryo constituent cells of a larger organism?

Why the arbitrary distinction between skin cells, marrow cells, stem cells and a collection of the same cells within the mother's reproductive organs?
10-08-2016, 03:10 AM
(10-08-2016 03:01 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 02:46 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Skin cells, marrow cells, stem cells, are all constituent cells of a larger organism. An embryo is an organism unto itself.

How can an embryo be an organism unto itself if it is dependent on the mother in order to survive? Why isn't the embryo constituent cells of a larger organism?

Why the arbitrary distinction between skin cells, marrow cells, stem cells and a collection of the same cells within the mother's reproductive organs?

If you do not understand what an organism is, it is pointless to have this conversation. The embryo is a parasitic organism but still an organism unto itself. A skin cell is a constituent cell.
10-08-2016, 03:24 AM
(10-08-2016 03:10 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 03:01 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  How can an embryo be an organism unto itself if it is dependent on the mother in order to survive? Why isn't the embryo constituent cells of a larger organism?

If you do not understand what an organism is, it is pointless to have this conversation. The embryo is a parasitic organism but still an organism unto itself. A skin cell is a constituent cell.

No....................it's unclear if you know what an organism is. You need to define exactly what you're talking about - if indeed you can.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
10-08-2016, 03:24 AM
(10-08-2016 03:10 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If you do not understand what an organism is, it is pointless to have this conversation. The embryo is a parasitic organism but still an organism unto itself. A skin cell is a constituent cell.

Thing is, I do understand biology. I am currently working as a bio-informatician. You are trying to avoid this discussion because it will show up the flaw in your binary thinking and how you rely on equivocation. I am not the one making absolute moral judgements based on arbitrary definitions and this is what I am demonstrating that you are doing.

Googling a definition of organism I get "an individual animal, plant, or single-celled life form."

So I ask once again:

(10-08-2016 03:01 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  How can an embryo be an organism unto itself if it is dependent on the mother in order to survive? Why isn't the embryo constituent cells of a larger organism?

You are unable to make the case that we should treat and name a collection of cells in a woman's reproductive organs differently to the same type of cells outside of them.
10-08-2016, 03:33 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 03:36 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(10-08-2016 03:24 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 03:10 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If you do not understand what an organism is, it is pointless to have this conversation. The embryo is a parasitic organism but still an organism unto itself. A skin cell is a constituent cell.

Thing is, I do understand biology. I am currently working as a bio-informatician. You are trying to avoid this discussion because it will show up the flaw in your binary thinking and how you rely on equivocation. I am not the one making absolute moral judgements based on arbitrary definitions and this is what I am demonstrating that you are doing.

Googling a definition of organism I get "an individual animal, plant, or single-celled life form."

So I ask once again:

You are unable to make the case that we should treat and name a collection of cells in a woman's reproductive organs differently to the same type of cells outside of them.

You must not be a very good bio-informatician if you do not understand the life cycle of a human being. Google it. The life cycle of a human being starts at conception. This is a fact that is only disputed by pro-abortionist who feel guilty about killing human beings. I am being serious. There are plenty of honest pro-abortion folks that admit the life cycle of a human being includes fertilized eggs. They just think it is okay to kill those human beings because they are not persons.
10-08-2016, 03:37 AM
At work.

Well..... truth be all.... Heywood has only sparingly outlined his hypothetical AI ship.

Other than pointing to HAL, which has shown to be poor given advances in science.

Next up. Perhap Heywood will throw Star Trek Holo-programs into the mix?

Which is more 'Alive'? Data or Voyager's Doctor program?

Consider
10-08-2016, 03:39 AM
(10-08-2016 03:37 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

It seems you're always at work Peehothuhul.
10-08-2016, 03:42 AM
At work.

Thank'e. Smile

Keeps the bills paid.

Thumbsup
10-08-2016, 03:45 AM
(10-08-2016 03:24 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  

No....................it's unclear if you know what an organism is. You need to define exactly what you're talking about - if indeed you can.

An embryo growing within a womb really isn't much different than an embryo growing within an egg. You would never consider an embryo growing within a chicken egg to be the same organism as the hen that laid it. You really have no good reason to believe an embryo growing within a uterus is the same organism as the mother except to justify your pro-abortion position.

Can you please start being honest and begin to accept reality as it actually is instead of how you wish it to be so that it would jive with your whimsical morality?