Open the Pod Bay Doors Hal

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
11-08-2016, 05:04 AM
RE: Open the Pod Bay Doors Hal
(11-08-2016 02:58 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You are nit picking. You should be able to do better.

You are trolling.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2016, 05:30 AM
(11-08-2016 02:44 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  All organism quickly die if subjected to an environment which is sufficiently hostile to them.

Sort of like if an intelligent thought developed within the barren wasteland of your mind.

(11-08-2016 02:44 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  2. Chicken embryos also shed cells that migrate into the egg.

Nonsensical and irrelevant.

(11-08-2016 02:44 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  4. You can create an embryo outside the mother via in vitro fertilization. When you do, you have an organism you can very clearly observe which isn't contained within the mother. You can even implant that organism into a woman it is not related too and it will grow and develop into a person.

Meaning that it is not yet a person.

(11-08-2016 02:44 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  To claim that an embryo is not a human being but just a part of the mother is so retarded that it rivals the retardedness of believing the moon is made from green cheese.

A blatant attempt to provoke, using words that are socially unacceptable and derogatory to those with special needs. Jeebus would be proud.

(11-08-2016 02:44 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  What I find laughable is you are willing to accept a chicken embryo as a separate and distinct organism but just for the sake of justifying your position on abortion, you go through all sorts of ludicrous mental gymnastics to conclude a human embryo is not a separate being of the species human.

Ludicrous mental gymnastics like those you are using? Improperly constructed, analogies that are false on multiple levels? Name-calling, slurs and insults?

Laughable indeed.

(11-08-2016 02:44 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Your * better off argumentively to embrace the tactic of the Nazis and just conclude it is a human being not worthy of moral protection.

Once again, another blatant trolling attempt. You conflate abortion with Nazism, throw in an aside asserting morality and try to tell us what we should be arguing.

* You would be better off using "you'd" as opposed to "your" or more correctly "you're". That's pretty impressive, fucking up one word multiple ways. Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
11-08-2016, 10:36 AM
What would the point be of spending great amounts of money to design, create, then build an AI and ship only to ask it how does it feel today about humans being inside it?

In the film it was created for a purpose. To fulfill a mission. It just doesn't make sense to deplete resources only to let it do what it pleases after. In that case I'd say the humans were right to shut ol' HAL-9000 down. It was created as a tool to be used after all. If your PC started fucking with you, I'm sure you'd unplug it.

But I can also see someone making the case that if an AI is advanced enough it could be considered a living consciousness and that maybe it should have rights too. In the case of HAL-9000 I wouldn't say it was advanced enough.
11-08-2016, 10:42 AM
At work.

From memory 2001/HAL was Clark's way of having a 'Take' on Aasimov's three laws of robotics. Themselves a McGuffin for exploring story tropes.
11-08-2016, 11:05 AM
(11-08-2016 10:36 AM)Grimm Wrote:  What would the point be of spending great amounts of money to design, create, then build an AI and ship only to ask it how does it feel today about humans being inside it?

In the film it was created for a purpose. To fulfill a mission. It just doesn't make sense to deplete resources only to let it do what it pleases after. In that case I'd say the humans were right to shut ol' HAL-9000 down. It was created as a tool to be used after all. If your PC started fucking with you, I'm sure you'd unplug it.

But I can also see someone making the case that if an AI is advanced enough it could be considered a living consciousness and that maybe it should have rights too. In the case of HAL-9000 I wouldn't say it was advanced enough.

I agree that HAL-9000 wasn't advanced enough to qualify as a true "person", for the purpose of the type of AI that would meet the standards of the full analogy, but we just granted that it did in order to have the discussion. I thought Cortana from the Halo series of games would have been a more accurate choice, though the fact that Cortana was able to be removed from the ship (thus making her also a resident and not an integral part of the ship such that it would constitute her "body") might also disqualify her from being a good analogue.

The point remains that, despite all of Blowjob's bloviating, you cannot have an AI that meets the requirements for this analogy (smart enough to be considered a full "person") which would be anything less than a slave if it was not asked to volunteer to host humans. The same applies to a woman choosing to host the resident fetus in her uterus... or not.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
11-08-2016, 11:06 AM
Its better to fuck up a few cells and reduce them to jelly than give birth to a baby that's sentient and unwanted has to go through the care system and the poor prospects for life thereafter also is it good to give birth to a sentient being that due to birth defects suffers from the horrors of locked in syndrome. Everyone I know would rather be dead than have to suffer that.
11-08-2016, 11:32 AM
(11-08-2016 11:06 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Its better to fuck up a few cells and reduce them to jelly than give birth to a baby that's sentient and unwanted has to go through the care system and the poor prospects for life thereafter also is it good to give birth to a sentient being that due to birth defects suffers from the horrors of locked in syndrome. Everyone I know would rather be dead than have to suffer that.

That would depend on perspective. From my perspective that would be a fate worse than death. Also Lou Gehrig's disease (or at least the end stage of) would be worse than death. I know and have known for about the last 35 or more years what it is like to be able to walk, talk, feed myself, dress myself (albeit for less time), and do other things. If you are not only born without those abilities and will/can never have those abilities, your perspective would be different. Just like a kid with cancer is not brave for going through it. They are just forced to live with it and it is all they have known. Most don't even have a choice in whether or not to fight it, depending on age. They are forced by their parents. It is after all their body, they should have a choice. Should they not?
11-08-2016, 11:36 AM
(11-08-2016 11:32 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 11:06 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Its better to fuck up a few cells and reduce them to jelly than give birth to a baby that's sentient and unwanted has to go through the care system and the poor prospects for life thereafter also is it good to give birth to a sentient being that due to birth defects suffers from the horrors of locked in syndrome. Everyone I know would rather be dead than have to suffer that.

That would depend on perspective. From my perspective that would be a fate worse than death. Also Lou Gehrig's disease (or at least the end stage of) would be worse than death. I know and have known for about the last 35 or more years what it is like to be able to walk, talk, feed myself, dress myself (albeit for less time), and do other things. If you are not only born without those abilities and will/can never have those abilities, your perspective would be different. Just like a kid with cancer is not brave for going through it. They are just forced to live with it and it is all they have known. Most don't even have a choice in whether or not to fight it, depending on age. They are forced by their parents. It is after all their body, they should have a choice. Should they not?

The same argument folks use to justify the keeping of caged birds and yes competent youngsters should have the choice.
17-08-2016, 01:35 AM
(11-08-2016 04:51 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  And now we're back to you insulting again. Notice that I have not once insulted you in our conversation? This is because every time you get angry and lash out, or try to avoid answering a question I find it funny because I know that you are really beginning to struggle with your arbitrary definitions and equivocations.

And this is from someone who likes to boast about how many insults he has forgiven, yet you are the one always insulting me here. This is extremely hypocritical of you. I love it.

I did not insult you. I insulted the position you hold. I didn't say you were stupid or retarded but that the position you hold is. An embryo is a distinct organism and to claim otherwise is as stupid as claiming the sun rises in the west and sets in the east.
17-08-2016, 01:40 AM
(11-08-2016 11:05 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The point remains that, despite all of Blowjob's bloviating, you cannot have an AI that meets the requirements for this analogy (smart enough to be considered a full "person") which would be anything less than a slave if it was not asked to volunteer to host humans. The same applies to a woman choosing to host the resident fetus in her uterus... or not.

I don't agree with you but I admire that your conclusion is consistent with your position that "my body means it is my choice". Most people do not care about being consistent.