Open the Pod Bay Doors Hal

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
28-07-2016, 07:33 PM
RE: Open the Pod Bay Doors Hal
(28-07-2016 07:11 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 07:06 PM)I Am Wrote:  I think it is a shorthand used to represent a variety of complex and subtle moral positions, including the principle of self-ownership articulated by John Locke and elaborated on by many others. I think you are trying to treat a slogan as if it were a logical statement, say it fails logically, then dismiss the position that slogan is tied to. No dice with me.

I told Pablo earlier that you could still be pro abortion rights and think the argument, "It is my body and therefore it is my choice" is garbage. So you are 100% wrong about me trying to dismiss a position that slogan is tied too just because the slogan is moronic.

Also it is more than just a slogan. I have seen it argued as a reason to justify abortion. I'm sure if you viewed an abortion debate thread, some moron would bring it up.

Very well then. I think you are trying to treat a slogan as if it were a logical statement, say it fails logically, then apparently draw no conclusion at all.

The phrase derives its meaning from moral philosophy as a statement of self-ownership. I don't think you can divorce the statement as an argument from the statement as a reference to all the scholarship and social development that preceded it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2016, 07:36 PM
(28-07-2016 07:31 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 07:23 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  In post 14 you tried to make it an argument about the relative worth of the human being because that is easier than defending the "My body my choice" argument I am criticizing.

I tried to show you that the Hal scenario and the my body scenario do not equate.
Are you really this dense?

Except that you did not show that.

Instead you argued that an adult and a fetus do not have the same relative worth. You believe that argument to be a valid. I agree, it is a much stronger argument. But presenting it as defense against criticism of bad argument doesn't make the bad argument a good argument no matter how hard you try.
28-07-2016, 07:36 PM
(28-07-2016 06:48 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 06:44 PM)I Am Wrote:  For starters, there are some important differences between a fetus and an adult crew member. Also, just as you misrepresented HAL's situation, you also trivialize the deliberation and self-analysis women go through when deciding whether to have a child or not.

You are making the argument that a woman has the right to abort a fetus because the fetus doesn't have the same value as an adult human being. I am not talking about that argument.

I am saying the argument, "its my body and therefore my choice" is a garbage argument. Do you agree?

No, it's not garbage. If a woman feels that way, then it's not garbage for her. YOU, Blowme Fuckwadistan, don't get to tell others what are valid arguments for them.
If you don't want to make that argument, then don't make it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-07-2016, 07:40 PM
(28-07-2016 07:33 PM)I Am Wrote:  The phrase derives its meaning from moral philosophy as a statement of self-ownership. I don't think you can divorce the statement as an argument from the statement as a reference to all the scholarship and social development that preceded it.

Assuming Hal owns himself. When Dave asked him to open the pod bay doors, if Hal replied with the Slogan, "My body my choice"....that should be good enough for Dave?
28-07-2016, 07:41 PM
(28-07-2016 07:32 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You can open a biology text and study the life cycle of a human being. Arguing that a fetus is not a human being is like arguing the world is flat. I'm not going to waste my time with that level of stupidity.

Are you really arguing that since a fictional computer, in a fictional story, killing a fictional grown person is wrong, then a real abortion of a fetus is exactly the same?
Facepalm
28-07-2016, 07:43 PM
(28-07-2016 07:41 PM)pablo Wrote:  Are you really arguing that since a fictional computer, in a fictional story, killing a fictional grown person is wrong, then a real abortion of a fetus is exactly the same?
Facepalm

I am arguing that justifying real abortion with "Its my body and therefore it is my choice" is moronic. There are stronger reasons (albeit still wrong) like the one you presented in post 14.
28-07-2016, 07:47 PM
(28-07-2016 07:12 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 07:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So you're implying that your body, Blowjob's body, is not your own therefore you don't have a choice if another life can exist, can survive from the body you have? That your body can give life to another you have no say so in the matter? Is this what you're asking?

Well Blowme, you have a kidney that can give life to another, you have an extra eye, you have parts of your body you can donate to give life to other people dying from various diseases. Why aren't you volunteering your body parts to save another life? If you're body isn't your own and you don't have a choice then it should be legal to harvest Blowme's body parts. Lets cough up a kidney Blowme.

Case in point.

A moron just showed up to make the "My body my choice" argument.

No Blowme, you're a fucking moron. If in the process of having no choice over one's body results in a sentient being being kept alive then it should be legal to harvest Blowme's extra body parts to keep sentient beings alive as well. You have two kidneys If a fetus is being kept alive by a woman's body then part of your body, your kidney, will keep a grown human alive.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
28-07-2016, 07:48 PM
(28-07-2016 07:43 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 07:41 PM)pablo Wrote:  Are you really arguing that since a fictional computer, in a fictional story, killing a fictional grown person is wrong, then a real abortion of a fetus is exactly the same?
Facepalm

I am arguing that justifying real abortion with "Its my body and therefore it is my choice" is moronic. There are stronger reasons (albeit still wrong) like the one you presented in post 14.

Why should any woman care what you think ?
It's not like you're an intellectual paragon of the Western World, now, are you ?
You have not laid any foundation for your FALSE ANALOGY of HAL and abortion.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-07-2016, 07:50 PM
(28-07-2016 07:40 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-07-2016 07:33 PM)I Am Wrote:  The phrase derives its meaning from moral philosophy as a statement of self-ownership. I don't think you can divorce the statement as an argument from the statement as a reference to all the scholarship and social development that preceded it.

Assuming Hal owns himself. When Dave asked him to open the pod bay doors, if Hal replied with the Slogan, "My body my choice"....that should be good enough for Dave?

HAL doesn't own himself. What a moronic analogy. Tell your Bible Study group that cooked it up, to stick it up their ass.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-07-2016, 07:51 PM
(28-07-2016 07:43 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
Facepalm

You are either unwilling or unable to honestly beat this dead horse.
I should have known better.