Openly Secular

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Openly Secular
I got a fundraising e-mail this morning from a group called Openly Secular.

Here's the website.

Looks interesting - I'm going to check them out. Drinking Beverage

Partial quote of the e-mail:
Quote:Don't you think it's time to change the way secular Americans are viewed?

Well, that’s just what we are doing. After years of seeing the all-too-familiar
stories such as that of Kalei Wilson, who had to abandon forming a secular
student group after the extreme backlash from her community, we are changing
the way Americans see secular people.

Today we are sharing an opportunity with you, our supporters, to be among the
first to join us. We are working on ways to erase the social costs of opening up
about being secular by forming a coalition of secular groups: Openly Secular.

Openly Secular is dedicating to eliminating discrimination and increasing
acceptance by getting secular people to be open about their non-belief.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
29-08-2014, 07:21 AM
RE: Openly Secular
Impressive sponsor and partners list.
Thanks for sharing.

I posted on Facebook and with a local atheist group.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
30-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Meh, I have no interest in these types of groups, but to each their own. I really don't like Dawkin's assertion that the founding fathers would be ashamed of me if I wished to remain closeted or whatever the quote is. He is a gifted scientist and I respect him for that, but he can go fuck himself if he thinks he can guilt-trip me into serving his agenda.

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
31-08-2014, 12:11 AM
(30-08-2014 10:45 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Meh, I have no interest in these types of groups, but to each their own. I really don't like Dawkin's assertion that the founding fathers would be ashamed of me if I wished to remain closeted or whatever the quote is. He is a gifted scientist and I respect him for that, but he can go fuck himself if he thinks he can guilt-trip me into serving his agenda.

I'd call that a very odd reaction. Guilt trip? Seriously? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2014, 12:37 AM
(30-08-2014 10:45 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Meh, I have no interest in these types of groups, but to each their own. I really don't like Dawkin's assertion that the founding fathers would be ashamed of me if I wished to remain closeted or whatever the quote is. He is a gifted scientist and I respect him for that, but he can go fuck himself if he thinks he can guilt-trip me into serving his agenda.

Consider

Would you agree that as Admin, your role is to serve Seth's agenda?

If so Popcorn ... waiting to see what might happen if Seth publicly embraces this new move.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
31-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Thanks for sharing that Chas! I'm going to explore it a bit.

The founding fathers were pro-slavery and oppressed women. The majority of American presidents have been Christians. If they were around today, I think they'd prefer atheists to stay closeted.

Be true to yourself. Heart
31-08-2014, 09:28 AM
(31-08-2014 12:37 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Consider

Would you agree that as Admin, your role is to serve Seth's agenda?

If so Popcorn ... waiting to see what might happen if Seth publicly embraces this new move.

Big Grin

My job as Administrator is to administrate. It is not to act as a yes man. If Seth embraces that idea then I would disagree with it, and administrate. For Pete's sake, our last Admin was a Christian. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
31-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Fair enough point.
1. Who cares what the founding fathers think?
2. It's your life, you live it how you please, there is no obligation to become a demonstrator
31-08-2014, 01:42 PM
(31-08-2014 01:13 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
Fair enough point.
1. Who cares what the founding fathers think?
2. It's your life, you live it how you please, there is no obligation to become a demonstrator

Yup. Thumbsup Couldn't agree more.