Operation Christmas Child - a gift with strings attached

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Operation Christmas Child - a gift with strings attached
What could be the harm in sending a Christmas gift to a child in need?

At this time of year, schools all across the UK are taking part in the Christmas Box appeal, and the task is superficially noble: ask your child to fill a decorated box with toys and essential items and the charity will deliver them to a child who is living in poverty. It’s a tangible, personal way of giving, and it’s immensely popular.

But Operation Christmas Child is run by Samaritan’s Purse, a huge and zealous organisation led by Franklin Graham, son of the famous evangelist Billy Graham. Not only is the organisation openly homophobic, it seeks to proselytise in a manner that most people, including liberal Christians, find unacceptable.

Several other UK-based charitable organisations and reputable businesses have withdrawn their support for Operation Christmas Child in recent years The charity Save The Children has questioned its effectiveness and expressed concerns about the use of evangelism in the context of people in need.

Some leading teachers’ Unions, including the NASUWT, have pointed out the difficult position that schools are placing themselves in when they support such charities without giving careful thought to their stated mission. But despite all of this, hundreds of schools will still take part in Operation Christmas Child this year, unwittingly supporting the work of a right-wing evangelical organisation, with little or no idea of what it stands for.

Numerous critics have observed that Samaritan’s Purse volunteers overseas are often more interested in conversion than provision. According to the President of Operation USA, an international relief organisation, Samaritan’s Purse organised a religious festival after the hurricane in Nicaragua in 1999 and pressurised local churches into taking thousands of children to a baseball stadium in Managua to hear Graham preach; at a time when resources were scarce and people were in desperate need, the money could have been so much better spent on basic supplies and rebuilding work rather than on proselytising. In 2003 the organisation was criticised in the New York Times for holding prayer meetings before it provided help to the people of El Salvador to build the temporary homes that had been provided by US Government funding; interviews with some of the locals reveal that volunteers had distributed religious literature and asked them to accept Jesus Christ as their saviour. Samaritan’s Purse also funded the distribution of Arabic Bibles in Iraq after the war and sent hundreds of volunteers into the country with the mission of bringing Muslims to Christ. In 2008 they compromised both government-funded aid and diplomacy by attempting to convert Muslims to Christianity following the tsunami in Banda Aceh. After the earthquake in Haiti in 2010, the organisation was criticised in the liberal press for pouring money into evangelising rather than into aid; Graham claimed that the people of Haiti’s spiritual needs were the most urgent concern for his organisation, and he was supported in his endeavours by the ever-delightful Sarah Palin.

One of the reasons why so many people in the UK are completely oblivious to the extreme agenda of Samaritan’s Purse is that it is deliberately not promoted here, to the extent that many earnest and well-meaning volunteers remain blissfully unaware of its sinister nature.

A recently posted comment by an individual who realised the nature of this organisations sums it up rather well:

Quote:I would just like to say that as a fully committed Christian I shall no longer be supporting Operation Christmas Child. When I went online to donate the £3 travel costs for the box I was asked if I would add a further £5 for literature about Jesus to be given to children. This is unacceptable to me, to directly target children who are being led by the promise of what we regard as basic necessities which they perceive to be wonderful gifts. We have no right to do this. The way to tell children about Jesus is to ask their responsible adult for permission to give them this literature or ask the responsible adult if they would like to bring the child to any of the children’s activities we hold at Church. My analogy for Operation Christmas Child would be me falling on hard times and Islamic extremists giving a box like this directly to my six year old child with their propaganda attached. I am no longer willing to support Operation Christmas Child until such times as they are able to guarantee there are no strings attached whatsoever.

If you do come across kids from a local school collecting on behalf of this charity, it might be worth having a quiet word with their parents or the school governors.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
10-11-2016, 03:56 AM
RE: Operation Christmas Child - a gift with strings attached
Charity stapled to proselytizing isn't charity.

It's a shitty box of Cracker Jack with a stupid prize inside....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-11-2016, 08:50 AM
“‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
(Matthew 4:4 ESV)

Samaritan's Purse recognizes the truth of this statement and tries to feed people spiritually as well as physically. Secular charities can feed people's bodies but they do nothing for their spirits.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2016, 08:57 AM
(11-11-2016 08:50 AM)theophilus Wrote:  “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

Samaritan's Purse recognizes the truth of this statement and tries to feed people spiritually as well as physically. Secular charities can feed people's bodies but they do nothing for their spirits.

You don't need anything done, for something that doesn't exist.

"Spirit", "Soul", "Ghost", "Chakra", are all invisible, undetectable constructs, designed to make people believe that there's a plane of existence after death.

Show me a "spirit" in a lab, and get me measurements -- and repeat this process a bunch of times -- and I'll buy in.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks for this I showed this post to my mother who is a liberal christian and she is going to give a copy to the vicar.
11-11-2016, 07:36 PM
(11-11-2016 08:50 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Samaritan's Purse recognizes the truth of this statement and tries to feed people spiritually as well as physically. Secular charities can feed people's bodies but they do nothing for their spirits.

Until you can demonstrate that "spirits" actually exist independent of the physical brain, I think it's reasonable to concentrate on feeding bodies. If your god wants to do something for these spirit things, it can do so on its own dime.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2016, 03:57 AM
(11-11-2016 08:50 AM)theophilus Wrote:  “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

Stating that something is "true" merely because it is mentioned in a holy book which itself if full of contradictions and obvious inaccuracies is utter nonsense.

Secular charities provide aid without strings as opposed to the morally dubious "bait and switch" tactics of organisations like Samaritan's Purse.

Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
21-11-2016, 04:06 AM
Three reasons to Avoid the Christmas Shoebox Appeal

21-11-2016, 04:17 AM

For $20 I'll massage your spirit through the internet. Drinking Beverage

If you ask nicely, I might even send you a picture of the massage in action.

[Image: 6a00d83451b14d69e201310ff524cc970c-800wi]

100% Genuine Spirit Massage in Action.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]