Opinions needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2016, 12:23 AM
RE: Opinions needed
(18-12-2016 07:54 PM)Banjo Wrote:  As a martial artist, I do think performing any of it would be tough to do with cancer. Cancer makes one quite weak.

At least in my experience. For example, I cannot concentrate enough to read your story now and must wait until later.

I think this sort of weakness is almost a character in itself.

Maybe the swordsman is mostly a weak old man, but occasionally returns to lucidity, beats the living shit out of all the bad guys, then returns to his weakened state.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2016, 10:27 AM
(18-12-2016 07:54 PM)Banjo Wrote:  As a martial artist, I do think performing any of it would be tough to do with cancer. Cancer makes one quite weak.

At least in my experience. For example, I cannot concentrate enough to read your story now and must wait until later.

I think this sort of weakness is almost a character in itself.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure chemo is very taxing. There is no rush, please read the story when you are up to it. I look forward to your feedback.

The main character doesn't have the aid of modern medication, which would surely sap his strength and affect his cognitive abilities. But the cancer does indeed weaken him to varying degrees through the end of the tale. He's lucid and forced to meet his limitations head on.

But that's what I think is unique about the story. Most martial arts media depicts aged martial artists as easily overpowering younger fighters. Zhou Fei may be a formidable swordsman, but he's way past his prime--I imagine him to be in his late 90s--and weakened by cancer. His frailties force him to adapt his fighting style to one relying on experience and pure technique in place of strength and driving attacks.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
21-12-2016, 10:27 PM
Someone on Deviantart liked the story so much that they wanted to make a comic book about it. These are the first few panels.

http://fuxikus.deviantart.com/art/anothe...-652567584
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
22-12-2016, 01:53 AM
(21-12-2016 10:27 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Someone on Deviantart liked the story so much that they wanted to make a comic book about it. These are the first few panels.

http://fuxikus.deviantart.com/art/anothe...-652567584

They look good Smile Looks like a collaboration may be born.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user