Opinions of Americans

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2014, 05:43 AM
Opinions of Americans
Hey foreign forum members,

Have you been to the US? What mannerisms or cultural nuances stuck out to you? What had you scratching your head?

I once had a foreign exchange student that lived with us. She hated our bread. She said it tasted like cake.

Does our bread really taste like cake? If our bread tastes like cake, what does our cake taste like?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
16-05-2014, 05:53 AM
RE: Opinions of Americans
I've only been to America once and that was a holiday in Florida with my family and cousins.

I found American chocolate to be too sweet, more sugar than chocolate. And this is from someone raised in Britain who is used to chocolate with a low cocoa content.

American steaks are HUGE (as in two or three times larger than what we expected to get). In fact everything is huge in America including fridges, cars, people etc. Definitely the least energy efficient country I have ever been to.

The number of fast food outlet chains everywhere is quite an eye opener and the lack of pavements is disconcerting.

Seeing the gun department in Walmart was a massive culture shock for all of us.
[+] 7 users Like Mathilda's post
16-05-2014, 05:54 AM
(16-05-2014 05:43 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  If our bread tastes like cake, what does our cake taste like?

Ambrosia.

That may or may not be a cultural thing. It could also be entirely anecdotal. When my wife was in high school, she had a foreign exchange student from Germany staying with them who thought my mother-in-law's spaghetti was amazing. Come to find out later, her version of "spaghetti" in her home was literally spaghetti noodles and catchup! So, in that case, it's not so much of a "German thing" as a "she doesn't know how to make spaghetti thing".

I'm not foreign, but I've heard people complain about our chocolate. Particularly, Hershey's chocolate. They say it's oily. Based on the German chocolate I've had before, I could see why they'd think that.
16-05-2014, 06:02 AM
British bread is like American bread. I'm living in Germany now and the German bread is like dwarf bread, or chipboard furniture. A German cousin of mine once complained that British bread was too soft and got stuck between her teeth when she visited us in England.

You can buy American bread here in Germany. It's commonly sold as toasting bread in really small squares and often has an American flag on it somewhere. If you tried toasting German bread you'd end up with something that had the texture of hardwood furniture.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
16-05-2014, 06:13 AM
When I was younger, the things that stuck out as differences between Canada and the States were beer, bread, and pastry.

Today, while most bread is bland and gummy, one can find very good bread baked locally.

Microbreweries in the U.S. are producing very respectable beers and ales, though Budweiser is still horse piss.

Americans still wouldn't recognize an actual croissant - nor can they even pronounce the word.

I don't so much blame Americans for being provincial as I do American business practice of valuing quantity over quality.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
16-05-2014, 06:21 AM
In and from America:

I'm feeling so fucked up; I need a croissant Weeping

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 2 users Like Dee's post
16-05-2014, 06:30 AM
(16-05-2014 06:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  When I was younger, the things that stuck out as differences between Canada and the States were beer, bread, and pastry.

Today, while most bread is bland and gummy, one can find very good bread baked locally.

Microbreweries in the U.S. are producing very respectable beers and ales, though Budweiser is still horse piss.

Americans still wouldn't recognize an actual croissant - nor can they even pronounce the word.

I don't so much blame Americans for being provincial as I do American business practice of valuing quantity over quality.

I've had a few friends upgrade my expectations when it comes to food items. Like bread from a scratch italian bakery.

The most surprising one was mustard. I hated mustard growing up. That slimy yellow nasty retch in a bottle that we Americans seem to love was disgusting to me.

Then I had some whole grain mustard from Germany. Blink Clap Heart

Who in my life failed me so miserably that I first had good mustard at the age of 30?

She turned me into a NEWT. I got better, though.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 4 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
16-05-2014, 07:56 AM
(16-05-2014 06:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't so much blame Americans for being provincial as I do American business practice of valuing quantity over quality.

But, as they say, quantity has a quality all its own.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
16-05-2014, 08:02 AM
I certainly love the people that's for sure. Every time I go to the States I meet friendly people most especially the folks in Hawaii. The only American asshole I met was in New Jersey.
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
16-05-2014, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2014 08:33 AM by Monster_Riffs.)
I did the Florida holiday thing. BIG. Americans like big stuff.

I have been to Receda Cali a few times and will be there again 2016. ... They were all surprised my teeth aren't yellow or wooden. They seem to think the English all have poor dental hygiene!

I also got asked questions a lot like if I 'knew Dave from London'. They seemed to think that England is so small we all know each other! One guy even took it upon himself to explain to me what a microwave is and what it's for! ... I was quite amazed at how insular they were in terms of knowing anything else about the world outside of USA. That wasn't all of them but a larger portion than I would've ever imagined and to give perspective, some of the smartest and most inspirational people I have ever met also live there, the gap between stupid and the smart over there seems huge, something to do with the education system I would think. Socially, I find Cali to be amazing, complete strangers were just super nice to me all the time and people seemed genuinely interested in talking to me. They did love my accent too! Florida was different, there were a lot of ignorant fuckers there! Big Grin

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 3 users Like Monster_Riffs's post